“Not what we were expecting”

Fraser Suites Edinburgh
Ranked #51 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Not what we were expecting”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My partner and I stayed here 31st December - 3rd January. The only thing I enjoyed about this hotel is it's central location- it is very close to the station, the shops and also the royal mile. The room was extremely noisy due to Hogmanay and the windows were definitely not double glazed due to the strong draught making the room extremely cold.

The bed is like sleeping on a slab of concrete. When you pay around £200 per night I didn't expect to receive 2 single beds shoved together either! The bed was so uncomfortable, I had trouble sleeping for the full 3 days.

We opened our fridge to the smell of moudly milk- the fridge didn't work and smelt as though it hadn't for an extremely long time.

The only plus side of the room is that it had a safe and a television. That's about it.

On the final day, we checked out and were sat in the reception waiting for a taxi as it was lashing it down with rain outside. The very rude receptionist was answering the phones with a disgusting attitude and then hanging up on customers/potential customers on the end of the phone! She then turned to us and told us that we are no longer customers as we have just checked out and that we would have to wait for our taxi outside in the rain! So just beware, even though you have paid a ridiculous amount of money each night for a very uncomfortable, noisy and cold stay in an overpriced hotel - the second you check out, you are not thanked for your custom, you are shaked off their hands that very second. The receptionists behind the desk really need to learn to get some manners, especially that lady I just mentioned- I didn't catch her name but she was a brunette foreign lady.

NEVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: 2 single beds shoved together does not make a double
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank llucyw
FSGManager, Manager at Fraser Suites Edinburgh, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
I am mortified that a member of my team has acted in this way, its appalling and there is no excuse. Please accept my sincere apologies. If you would like to discuss further please contact me directly on 0131 221 7200

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I think this hotel is a beautiful hotel. SItuated right on the royal mile. Only downside is there is no parking which was good since I didn't drive up. I stayed here for a few days. Check-in was awful. Karelle who checked us in started explaining everything then, left us while she had a girly chat with another reception staff. The guy who was cleaning the reception area was really good, he did his best to get that awful receptionists attention diverted back to us, he did apologise for all of this and was really professional. When we finally got into our room, it was very spacious and comfortable. Nice kitchen area with water in the fridges too. Although we did have trouble working the shower later on in the evening. Reception sent someone up to us, and the lady was there in seconds, she showed us not once but a few times until we got it, she was very patient with us and even joked with us about it which made us feel better. Her name badge began with an L, The housekeeping staff were really nice topped up our toiletries, tea, coffee, sugar, milk etc etc. The reason for my rating is due to reception, except for the lady with the red hair Shay I think her name was she was really helpful and polite. The rest made us feel like we were not important. If the reception staff change then I may return but until that Karelle and the other guy that works day shift I won't be back they are a real let down for the company.

Room Tip: Make sure you go when Karelle and the other day guy is not there that's all I say.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank starryeyed2014
I am shocked to learn of your experience. Please be assure that staff mentioned in your review will be dealt with. At Fraser Suites Edinburgh we pride ourselves on a gold standard customer service, for one of our valued guests not to receive this is disappointing to say the least. You will see from previous reviews that this is not standard practice and that our Reception Team have been praised many times by other reviewers.
I am happy that our room, facilities and Housekeeping team helped improve your first impression and perception of the property. I greatly appreciate your feedback.
London
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The staff were agreeable and helpful, mostly, and the location is very central. The room was in good decorative order, especially the bathroom, and it's handy to have some basic kitchen equipment.

For winter, the room was too cold at night and I had to use a portable radiator, and, as there were few socket choices, and limited space around the bed, and I had to have the radiator up high due to the high ceiling, I feared this was a fire hazard.

The staff advised me that they keep a portable radiator in the cupboard in every room in the hotel...

There was also no blanket in the cupboard one could use to supplement the bedding.

During Hogmanay, this hotel is very noisy, as it is right next to the noise sources, and the windows are thin.

The bed and pillows were hard for me. They have soft pillows if you ring and ask reception (I found out as I checked out after 1 night) but there is no note in the room to let guests know.

There was no spare socket next to the desk.

Room Tip: Check noise sources during your trip before you book and request a quiet room
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Klara51
Thanks for your recent review. We are delighted that you chose Fraser Suites Edinburgh as your preferred accommodation providers. The city is renowned for its Hogmanay celebrations, with the old town being the centre of all activity and events which are heard and seen by all who choose to stay in this area. We do have a pillow menu for all guests should an alternative to the high standard of pillow that is on all beds be required. Details of this is found in the guest compendium, I am sorry you were not informed of this during your stay. Our housekeeping team work seven days until 7pm and then all Reception staff have access to store rooms so if we had known, extra bedding would have been delivered to your room immediately. I am sorry some aspects of your stay fell short and that you visit us again in the near future.
Bagram, Afghanistan
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is another hotel I found via Kayak. I booked and paid for it via Hotels.com. It's in a great location, right next to The Royal Mile, in Edinburgh. It was a wee bit difficult to locate but with a few turns here and there and the help of the GPS function on the iPhone, we found it. Although the location is great, parking is at a premium. After check-in, I left the bags in the lobby and had to drive down to the bottom of the hill and park at the train station. It was close to a ten minute walk back, which included climbing quite a few steps up one of the several stairways that lead up and down the side of the hill.

The room, however was pretty amazing. I was 'upgraded' to a handicapped room because the hotel wasn't at capacity and the room originally slated for me had too much noise from the a/c unit outside of the room. The room I did get was quite spacious and very clean. Everything looked pretty new. There was a cook top, a dishwasher, a pantry with pots, pans, etc.; everything needed for an extended stay. The staff was very helpful and very friendly at check-in. The fitness room was clean and had the minimum to keep one busy during a quick stay.

After checking out in the morning, the staff offered to store my bags while walking around the town. I would definitely love to stay here again. Fraser Suites is in a great location, with plenty of sights, pubs, restaurants, shopping quite close by.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MajDevo
FSGManager, Manager at Fraser Suites Edinburgh, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you for your review. Its great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. All the best for 2014.
Bristol
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for my partners 30th birthday trip to Edinburgh. The rooms were very comfortable with a small kitchen area and were spotless. The staff were very helpful in helping me arrange a cake to be delivered to the hotel. Breakfast was of very high quality. Location is perfect fur exploring all sights if Edinburgh and is just off the royal mile. The castle is less than a 10 minute walk away. We got the bus from the airport which stops a 5 minute walk away. The quickest way from the bus stop us up the steep Syria which run just up the side of the hotel.

The hotel was well worth the money as we paid less than £100 per night but is definitely bit worth the full price. Especially as we were awoken but banging from work being done on the hotel next door. The only downside was that we couldn't check in until 3:00pm which was a bit annoying as our flight landed at 7:00am and it was raining all day. However, I guess it wasn't their fault if they were fully booked.

Would definitely stay again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BumbleBee023
Thank you for your review. Its so important for us to receive all guest feedback for our continuous improvement. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed there 5 nights and it was a pretty good experience despite some hiccups. First of all, the room is fantastic. It's new and comfortable. Location wise, it is in the middle of old town Edinburg, an extremely beautiful place, and also very conveniently located to the train station, the shopping district and many historical attractions. Now, I encounter some hiccups during the stay. First, there seems to be communication problems between their staff. I stayed during the Christmas period . Breakfast starts later on Christmas an Boxing Day. But we were not notified. We were told it starts at 830am by the reception only for the restaurant to inform it actually starts at 9am. On the second day, we were told breakfast was not included in our package. Finally we found out they have the room number wrong ( even after checking with us trice, and no way were we wrong in informing). Worse part of it, the restaurant manager told us we have to check with reception. Well, I thought that is very rude. They should check not us. That is very poor. Another problem we had was in housekeeping. There was no housekeeping on Christmas Day, but there is no notification. A simple note in the room would do nicely. Worse to happen is they left the new towels on the floor outside our room! Putting it on the bed would be much more hygienic and more polite. This is a renowned hotel not some B&B or hostel. Come on guys. Those are disappointing, but despite these, I enjoyed the stay. Maybe it's because of the charm of Edinburg.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Keithlhk
I am very surprised to learn of the issues experienced during your stay. I can only apologise that you did not get the correct information.
All guests are issued with a letter with the times for breakfast, opening hours of the restaurant and what days housekeeping will be in and what days here is a reduced service. We also have opening times notices in the door into the Broadsheet Bistro as well and in the lift to ensure guests are well informed. I will certainly look into the reason for you not getting this information. Please accept my sincerer apologies its disappointing to say the least that a valued guest has been inconvenienced this way.
Paisley, Renfrewshire
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a junior suite for one night for my husbands birthday. Sadly I found it a bit disappointing. The room size was small with only a 2 seater couch as the extra "suite" touch. There was no carpet in the room so the room felt cold throughout the whole stay. The only heating source is built into the fan system in the ceiling which seem to come on at random points throughout the early hours & was noisy. The bed was comfortable but as it was a ziplock double strangely the two single beds that had been zipped together where at different heights. Tried to get hold of reception staff at several points throughout the first hours of our stay for assistance & although we finally managed to speak to staff I feel it shouldn't have taken that long. I understand that it's a busy time of year but I feel that this is an important issue that needs to be addressed.
On a positive note the furnishings i.e bedding, curtains etc. where lovely. The small area with the added microwave, sink & fridge was a fantastic touch. The bathroom was also impressive.
To sum up the most impressive feature of this hotel is its location which is excellent but sadly it's not enough for me to return.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Morris49
I can only apologise for the discomfort experience during you stay, it is not normal practice I can assure you. The department heads have been briefed on the issues so they can investigate then remedy accordingly. I hope that you would give us the opportunity to redeem in the future, Wishing you a Happy New Year.