“A fabulous base”

Ranked #51 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Perth, United Kingdom
“A fabulous base”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed two nights at Fraser Suites. This is much better than a hotel, the rooms (this was "just" a room, not an apartment) had a fridge and microwave and though on the small side was very well equipped. The location was great for the old town but being off the main thoroughfare it was quiet. Friendly staff and a very reasonable restaurant - under separate management - on site. We will certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room, 301, not facing the street and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank AliGibb
Evlyn G, Front Office Manager at Fraser Suites Edinburgh, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear AliGibb,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your five star review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Fraser Suites so much.

The Fraser Suites has a variety of room types varying from the Classic Deluxe which you selected, to the more spacious Junior Suites and further spacious One Bedroomed Apartments as well as our Bespoke Suites which are individually designed. Each room or Apartment benefits from a kitchenette, those in the Classic Deluxe rooms are simply arranged with a combination oven/microwave, kettle, toaster however our larger apartments and suites cater for keen cooks with cooker hobs, dishwashers and all the necessary supplies. A fantastic resource if you are staying for longer or simply love to cook!

The location of the Fraser Suites is perfect for exploring the Old and New town on foot, being only a few metres from the Royal Mile it is surprisingly peaceful.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal in the Broadsheet Bistro, the food is delicious, great value and the staff very helpful. Did you try the best Haggis Scotch Egg ever, an unusual idea to many but definitely worth a try!

I shall hope to welcome you on your next visit to Edinburgh and Fraser Suites.

Evlyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Munich
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Spent three nights at Fraser Suites at the end of May during the Edinburgh Marathon Festival.

Location: 5 out of 5 – couldn’t be any better. St. Giles Street, where the hotel is located, is calm and at the same time you are only a couple of footsteps away from the Royal Mile. Plenty of sightseeing, shops and restaurants around.

Room: 4 out of 5 – we had a room on the second level (208) with a view on Newtown. Cleanliness was up to expectations, it was not noisy. The room is nicely furnished, quite small with two flaws: the windows are old and not well isolated and the AC / heating is not really scalable, which means that room temperature was either too hot or too cold.

Breakfast: 2 out of 5 – as already pointed out by some other reviewers, breakfast ist little in choice. I would expect more in that price category. Service was slow and on one day totally under-staffed. The food & beverage manager does not a good job here…

Concierge & reception: 5 out of 5 – staff was very helpful, friendly and forthcoming with dining reservations and travel tips!

I would recommend Fraser Suites with the above mentioned constraints. It is (for Continental Europe standards) probably slightly over-priced, but the location outweighs the negative aspects regarding room and breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank MunichVagabond
Dear Munich Vagabond,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. Your detail is much appreciated.

You are absolutely correct about our location, Edinburgh is not a huge city by any means however being so central is a fantastic bonus for guests who want to explore on foot. The surreal calm of St Giles Street is unexpected when only a few metres from the buzz of the Royal Mile. You probably found that Edinburgh is now a very "foodie" city, we are well located for many of Edinburgh's finest restaurants.

I am delighted that you were comfortable in your junior suite, though disappointed that you had issues with the thermostat, these are located in each room. Our team are always happy to help with any queries with this as we are aware that every home and hotel is different.

Our breakfast service is being reviewed however I shall bring your comments to the Restaurant Managers attention. All feedback helps us better the service for all of our guests.

I am thrilled to hear how helpful our front desk team were. They do enjoy helping out when a little bit of local knowledge is required! I shall pass your lovely comment on as I am sure the team will be delighted to have helped so much.

I am delighted to hear that you would recommend the Fraser Suites and hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again yourselves!

Heimdal, Norway
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Fraser Suites in Edinburgh is a great place to stay if you are in Edinburgh. The staff is extremly serviceminded and the place has great atmosphere. The rooms are very clean and cosy.If I should point my finger at anything it would be the breakfast. We thought the breakfast was grey and dull, so dont bother to pay extra..There is a bistro next door to Fraser Suites and they serve a lot better breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view owards the Scott.monument.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank TrudeN1
Dear TrudeN1,

Thank you so much for your five star review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us at Fraser Suites.

I am happy to hear such positive feedback on our friendly team, they certainly are service minded and will be delighted to read your review.

I am delighted that you were comfortable in your room, we aim to offer a home from home to all our visitors. Being services apartments we also offer a few extras such as a gymnasium in house as well as complimentary laundry facilities and kitchenettes in rooms. Little additions which guests on longer visits find very convenient.

I trust and hope that we shall be able to welcome you on your next trip to Edinburgh. Do feel free to contact the team directly on sale.edinburgh@frasershopitality.com should you wish rebook.

I look forward to seeing you again.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Fraser Suites for 5 nights and it was a wonderful holiday. The hotel is lovely and the staff cannot do enough for you. The room was fantastic, a lovely comfortable bed, great shower, and brilliant kitchenette, topped off with great views. The only area for improvement would be the breakfasts, there is plenty of choice but not the quality you expect in an otherwise luxury hotel. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Visitor945
Dear Visitor945,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and shall bring your positive comments to the team who will be delighted to hear your kind words.

The rooms are beautiful and decorated with comfort in mind I am always delighted to hear how well our guests sleep. The Villeroy & Boch bathrooms are lovely and spacious with fantastic showers, I am delighted that you were so pleased. You will have found yourself how convenient it is to have the addition of the kitchenette when staying for a few nights or more.

I shall bring your comments on breakfast to the Restaurant Manager, thank you for your feedback which helps us better the experience for everyone and of course for yourself also on your next stay!

I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 27 May 2014

fantastic location in the middle of royal mile with some fantastic rooms...beautifully done up interiors with expensive fittings....but it ends just there

the maintenance of the rooms is terrible...incredibly dusty rooms and furniture....musty carpets and cushions...inspite of reminding the reception 3 times about it nothing was done to clean the rooms properly in the 3 night and 4 days that we were there.

we were upgraded from 1 bed room apartment to a bespoke suite...the suite had a really tiny kitchenette with absolutely no utensils or cutlery...we had to ask for everything to which a reply would be a blunt "we don't have any left".

Service at the front office was very miss and go...polite at few occasions but very rude at others.

at the price they charge one would expect a lot lot more...

would definitely not go back and wouldn't refer to a friend either

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank NiravMeswani
Dear NiravMeswani,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Fraser Suites, I assure you that your feedback is appreciated.

I am glad that you enjoyed the furnishings of the Hotel and rooms, the décor is luxurious and designed with comfort in mind. The spacious Villeroy and Boch bathrooms and comfortable beds all help build the atmosphere in which each guests feel utterly comfortable.

I am very disappointed to hear that you found our maintenance below par and would like to assure you that this is not the gold standard which our guests should expect. We pride ourselves on excellent standards of housekeeping and customer service, these are often the most notable features of the Fraser Suites. Our team are very approachable and always happy to help with any issues or local information. I am terribly sorry to hear that we have not performed to the standard we aim for. I shall bring your comments to the attention of our front of house team and housekeeping manager as all feedback is important to us to enable us to better the guest experience.

I hope that you shall visit the Fraser Suites again when we can better your impression of our property and service.

London
Reviewed 22 May 2014

The location of this place was really great, so close to the station and the royal mile. The room was very comfortable and the shower was a real treat, The staff at reception were always very friendly. I recommend the cafe next door st giles, for a light bight at breakfast and great coffee. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Evlyn G G, Front Office Manager at Fraser Suites Edinburgh, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear AniEsther,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time in Edinburgh at the Fraser Suites.

Our luxurious and rooms are delightfully comfortable, I am pleased you agree. With our beautiful L'Occitane toiletries you can really enjoy your time in the bath or shower. The spacious Villeroy & Boch bathrooms are a fantastic feature of the property which make waking up a little less painful in the morning!

I am delighted to hear that our team on reception made you welcome, they are always happy and willing to point you in the right direction for all the attractions and restaurants of Edinburgh.

I hope you will return to Edinburgh soon and we shall welcome you again.

Best Wishes,

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My husband and i were in Edinburgh for exactly 3 days and this hotel disappointed us from the word go.. We checked into one of their apparently best two suites keeping in mind the small size of the hotel rooms around europe..and while the size seemed ok when we booked it, but this room was cramped .. when we first walked into the loo it was dirty and that according to me is just unacceptable.. and the staff were fairly uninterested..we checked in at 11pm and when we had called the hotel earlier that day to check if they have 24 hour room service they had confirmed they do..but when we checked in the lady at the reception informed us that the restaurant was shut.. and when we told her about the information we had received she didn't seem to care about the fact that we were misinformed and starving..barring the location this hotel has nothing working in its favour..

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TheCupcakeCompany
Dear TheCupcakeCompany,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Fraser Suites. All constructive feedback is taken on board by our team as we are always aiming to improve and better the experience for our guests.

I am glad that you enjoyed the location of the Hotel, Edinburgh is a beautiful city and the Fraser Suites is ideally located for exploring the historic Old Town and an easy walk to most attractions.

I am very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us however I am confident to assure you that we are vastly improved since your stay in early January. As you will see from our many reviews since your stay, we have had fantastic recent feedback for the friendliness and helpful team at both front desk and housekeeping. Should you return to Fraser Suites, we would be keen to prove our gold standard of service and better your opinion of our property.

Unfortunately we do not have the facility to offer 24 hour room service however during the restaurant opening hours there is a delicious menu which can be served direct to your apartment should you prefer.

The Fraser Suites offers a 24 hour reception which is a great feature for any guest arriving from a long journey or delayed flight. You will always receive a warm welcome at any hour. Our concierge is able to offer advise for visitors on both attractions and eateries.

I hope to welcome you again in the future when you will experience the true Fraser Suites experience.