“Great location, very helpful staff”

Fraser Suites Edinburgh
Ranked #52 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
richmond, tx
“Great location, very helpful staff”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Beautiful beautiful views from our comfortable corner suite. Slight housekeeping kerfuffle received quick response and care. Staff at desk very helpful in answering questions, calling for reservations and cabs. The location is wonderful - in the center of the old town but very quiet and easy to get to New Town on foot. Nice breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank screenname101
Evlyn G, Front Office Manager at Fraser Suites Edinburgh, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear screenname101,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your wonderful five star review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and that the staff were helpful and responsive to your needs.

The location of the Fraser Suites is ideal, being so close to the Royal Mile but in it's own setting quite peaceful.

Edinburgh is a fantastic city for walking, exploring, dining and of course taking In the history and sites.

I shall pass your positive comments to the restaurant team who will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast.

I look forward to welcoming you to the Fraser Suites on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Evlyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
blackburn
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed at the Fraser Suites after booking a secret deal on Hotwire. The location was fantastic for us, only a few minutes (and some very steep steps) from the station, and steps away from the royal mile. We arrived at 11am and although the room was not ready, there was a room in which to leave luggage until later. The receptionists were very pleasant and knowledgeable, with information about the local area, sights and bus tours. On returning shortly after 2pm, we were allocated our room, on the 7th floor. Whilst the room was very tastefully decorated, it was ridiculously hot. The management are clearly aware of problems with this room as there were 2 tower fans and a air conditioning unit in there. It would have been impossible to sleep in the room that night - the cooling equipment had no effect whatsoever, and the air conditioning unit was very noisy.
The receptionists informed us that there were no other classic rooms available as the suites were fully booked. We decided to venture out again due to the temperature in the room, and returned much later to see if it was any cooler. It wasn't. On calling reception, the initial remark was 'you have an air conditioning unit'. Again we were told no other rooms were available. However after a while a lovely Spanish man on reception was very helpful and moved us into a larger room for the first night. For the second night we would be moved into another classic room. Whilst the rooms were both lovely we felt we were a little bit homeless as we didn't have a definite room and also were unable to unpack our suitcase as we were being shifted about excessively.
That said, the staff were very friendly and helpful, the location, as I mentioned, is perfect for the Old Town area and the rooms themselves are very well appointed with quality furnishings, kettle, microwave, fridge and beautiful bathrooms. Fraser Suites are definitely worth considering for your stay in Edinburgh, just request a room that is not on the 7th floor.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eljayem
Dear eljayem,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we appreciate your feedback as we always strive to improve our standards and service so that every guest experience is enjoyable.

I am very sorry that there was any change of rooms, the building is well insulated which is a fantastic feature in the cooler months and in Edinburgh they are a majority. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and were comfortable in your new room and that the team were able to reallocate you, though disappointed that we did not have the availability to remain in the same room.

Rooms on the top floor have fantastic charm and views over Edinburgh which is a great feature. I am sorry that on this occasion the room was too warm. Cooling towers are provided as the building does not currently have built-in air conditioning, Scotland being rarely a hot country.

I am delighted that our friendly team were able to assist you and hopefully offer a few suggestions of things to do during your stay. They are always happy to help.

The location of Fraser Suites is perfect for exploring the sites, with the Castle and Palace only a short walk and lots of lovely cafes, bars and restaurants around the corner.

I hope that you will visit the Fraser Suites again and look forward to welcoming you then.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My partner and I recently booked into the Fraser Suites Edinburgh as a special few days away before our baby is born, and also to celebrate my birthday.

When we first arrived at the reception desk, we were warmly greeted by both receptionists and booked in no problem. One of the receptionists asked if we had any plans for our stay in Edinburgh, which we did not really. She spent a good 20 minutes telling us about local attractions/sites etc showed us all the leaflets and told us about places she could personally recommend, some of which we decided to do ourselves and thoroughly enjoyed (such as Mary Kings Close!).

When we arrived at our room, on the 7th floor (the lift only goes to 6, which is a little annoying when stairs are an issue so watch out), and our room was like a furnace! Un-bareable heat despite a large cooler in the room and the window open. As lovely as the room was we simply could not stay in there, with myself being pregnant but also the noise from the fan right next to the bed would just be ridiculous to sleep through.

We spoke again to reception (a different receptionist this time) who informed us that there were no rooms left in our price range, only larger suites. We decided to have a look at one of these and accepted the extra price we would have to pay. We were shown the Princes Suite on the 4th floor, which is just stunning and we were completely sold (perfect temp too!). We were also offered a discount on the room too, as it was not our fault that the first room was ridiculously hot. We were very happy with the discount and both agreed that the beautiful room really did make our stay. Stunning views across Edinburgh, luxury accommodation, full kitchen and lovely big bathroom with massive bath and double shower.

Reception were incredibly helpful throughout our stay (three days) and we had no issues with house keeping or anything other guest have mentioned. The only point I could make about the room was that it could do with a slight bit of TLC, there were some scuff on the walls and curtains but this for us did not take away the impressiveness of the suite at all. There was also a discount off the breakfast, which my partner loved (full english) but seemed a little pricey for myself, as someone who doesn't tend to eat much for breakfast and went for the continental option - but still payed the same high price as my partners full english ?? more options here would be better. We tried the Cafe next door the next day which was lovely.

Right in the centre of old town and 10 min walk to new town, great helpful service from all, lovely rooms and a really special stay. We would most definitely return to Fraser Suites and recommend to others too - just dont book a room on a high floor perhaps!

Room Tip: Go for a more expensive suite - you won't regret it and its worth the extra pennies.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jenny L,

Thank you for leaving such a detailed and lovely review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to accommodate you in our beautiful Princes Suite.

I am disappointed that your original room was so warm but so pleased that you opted for the Princes Suite and we were able to relocate your stay.

All of our Bespoke Suites are completely unique, the Princes Suite being very light and airy with beautiful views towards Princes Street and the Walter Scott Monument. On your next visit you must try our Observatory Suite which has it's own balcony and views toward Calton Hill, there is plenty space for a cot too!

All rooms are maintained on the in house CARE programme however I shall bring your comments to the attention of maintenance and housekeeping to be sure any scuffs or marks are corrected.

Our friendly team are happy to offer suggestions of what to do during your stay though it's always fun to explore on your own and find something new or forgotten.

The location for the Old and New town is perfect for exploring, I will look forward to offering a few suggestions of the best attractions for families.

Congratulations when the little one arrives!

Best Wishes,

San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Good:
- Right off the Royal Mile. My room wasn't noisy at all, although I was on the top floor.
- You can also get to the train station (down a short hill) or over to New Town on foot with no problem.
- Very spacious, clean, and comfortable suite. Well designed. Great bathroom, robes, personal safe, mini-kitchen. Modern appliances.
- Great service.
- Acceptable (but boring) breakfast.

The Not So Good:
- WiFi in my room was completely unusable. I had full bars, but pages would literally take 5-10 to load if at all. I gave up trying. So, if internet is an issue, make sure you confirm your room has GOOD WiFi.
- It's an old building, so the hallways are a bit of a maze, and my wood floor slopped significantly.

Despite that, I loved my room (702 I think). Get in your robe, turn on the heat, and have some tea by the window on those cold Edinburgh days. 10 yards and you're on the Royal Mile for a restaurant or shopping. Great for couples, not so sure about families.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Josh C
Dear Josh C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Fraser Suites, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much.

The One Bedroomed apartment which you describe is fantastic for those who want to relax in the room as it offers a larger space and seating area, together with the bedroom area. The apartments are well appointed with the kitchenette and appliances allowing you to self cater if you prefer, a welcome addition on chilly or damp mornings (of which we have a few!)

The area is very peaceful despite the central location, I am delighted that you were able to explore the lovely Royal Mile and hopefully a few of our local restaurants. Edinburgh is quite the foodie centre now and hosts many excellent restaurants, our friendly team are always on hand to offer suggestions.

Unfortunately the slow Wi-Fi is an area issue, not only ours however we are working with others to improve Wi-Fi in the Historic area of the Royal Mile. The building and area has plenty of history and beautiful architecture which does add to the atmosphere and layout of the Fraser Suites building.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit, on your next stay we look forward to removing the "Almost" and that your entire stay is "Perfect".

I look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Warm Regards,

South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The deluxe corner suite was amazing! Modern amenities, gorgeous bathroom, great views from every room, and plenty of space to spread out and relax. Was an easy walk to great shopping, restaurants, pubs, the castle, the palace, and the bus stop!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pottsandcompany
Dear Pottsandcompany,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your five star review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Fraser Suites and enjoyed your beautiful and spacious apartment.

The location on St. Giles Street is perfect for the best of Edinburgh and I am delighted that you were able to make the most of it by exploring and sampling the local restaurants, shops and attractions.

I trust that you will think of us on your next visit to Edinburgh and look forward to welcoming you on your return.

Warm Regards,

Avalon Beach, Australia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Very professional staff went the extra mile
Great location walk to most places located in the old town which was great
There were a few issues but the staff out weighed these
Expensive for what we received
Did not eat in the restaurant

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank samsonSydney
Dear samsonSydney,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed the location of the property, it is fantastic being in such easy walking distance to attractions.

I am sorry to hear that you had any issues at all, we aim to provide a smooth and enjoyable stay to every guest however I am pleased that our friendly team were able to help.

We strive to offer a fantastic service in a peaceful environment with the added benefits of kitchenettes in each room, in house laundry facilities and a fully equipped gymnasium which all add to the experience or our luxurious rooms.

I hope that you will visit us in the future when we can offer the gold standard which we offer every guest. Please feel free to contact our front desk team on sales.edinburgh@frasershospitality.com to arrange any future stays, we are happy to accommodate any special requests when possible.

I look forward to welcoming you again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The rooms were quiet and luxuriously decorated. I don't normally comment on the front desk staff but they were really exceptionally nice and helpful when I was there (I dealt with a British lady and a Spanish guy). Gym very nice too and like the rest of the hotel very peaceful. Excellent location. Only downside was the poor internet connection. It was so slow I had to use my phone instead. I suppose one suggestion for improvement would be to have pillows of various different sizes as not everyone likes fat pillows. Other than that superb all round.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Ian H
Dear Ian H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such wonderful feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I shall be happy to show your comments to the front desk team who will be very pleased and proud to have left such an impression.

I am pleased that you had the time to make use of our gym facility, it is very well equipped for a good workout.

Unfortunately our location on the Royal Mile is experiencing limitations to the speed of the Wi-Fi available at peak times however be assured that it is a top priority for Fraser Suites and the surrounding businesses to improve the speed available to our guests and those in the affected areas.

The Fraser Suites does offer a pillow menu should you not find the standard option to your taste, you are welcome to arrange this in advance for your next visit if you would prefer. Our friendly Front Desk Team will be delighted to assist with any queries.

I hope that you shall be returning to the Fraser Suites soon and look forward to welcoming you then.