“Hot rooms!”

Fraser Suites Edinburgh
Ranked #56 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The hotel itself is nice. Good decor, helpful and friendly staff and the rooms were clean. Just come prepared to stay in the hottest room you have ever experienced. We understand there is no air conditioning, which is not a problem, but it literally felt like the heater was on! As soon as we opened our door, the cool hallway air would rush in (at LEAST 20 degrees cooler). They provide you a small fan in your closet, but it doesn't do much.

Although the staff and the atmosphere is nice, I would never consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Stay away from #304 at all costs
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mfies
Evlyn G, Front Office Manager at Fraser Suites Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear mfies,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am very pleased that you found the Hotel décor, atmosphere and staff so wonderful. I shall pass on your kind notes to the housekeeping team who will be glad that you enjoyed your room.

I am sorry to hear that you found the room so warm and that this has tainted your stay. The hotel is not air-conditioned however we can provide fans for relief. The hotel has been well insulated which is fantastic for the majority of the months, Edinburgh does not often have such warm temperatures however it has been unusually warm recently.

I hope that you will visit us again, remembering our friendly team and beautifully furnished. I look forward to welcoming you again.

There are newer reviews for Fraser Suites Edinburgh

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Located in the city centre, very accesable from everywhere. On the royal mile and near princes street. Staff always there to help. Nite temperature at all times. The restaurant served very nicely cooked foods.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Josercos,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Fraser Suites.

I am delighted to read your kind words about the hotel and the friendly team. The fantastic location, just five minutes from the Castle is very handy for the Military Tattoo and all the nearby attractions.

I shall pass your compliments to the Restaurant Team who will be very pleased that you enjoyed your meal.

I look forward to your next visit with us when you return to Edinburgh.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Fraser Suites for 1 night. The location is great in the Old Town. The room had no air conditioning, an uncomfortable bed, poor view, no rack for clean towels (the staff had put them on the closed toilet cover). Wifi goes off all the time and the staff at breakfast are not well trained. The service at reception was very good.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alfred B
Evlyn G, Front Office Manager at Fraser Suites Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Alfred B,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Fraser Suites.

I am delighted that you found our reception team so helpful and friendly, I wish that these issues were brought to their attention during your stay so that we may have made your stay more comfortable.

The Grade B listed building is not air conditioned however it is well insulated which is fantastic for 11 months of the year. we do have electric fans available to cool rooms during warmer weather. As you will have noticed being in the Historic centre of Edinburgh, just off the Royal Mile, we are surrounded by beautiful and traditional architecture, unfortunately these beautiful buildings hinder some views.

I am pleased that our Wi-Fi issues have now been resolved and look forward to your next stay when you will experience a far smoother complimentary service.

I shall pass your comments to the Broadsheet Bistro Manager for there attention, I am sure they will be disappointed that you did not enjoy the service which is often congratulated for being so friendly.

I look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Fraser Suites just off the Royal Mile is in a great location and the staff are really good and did their best for us.
A couple of things went wrong. Initially the room we were given had a broken fridge and bathroom door that could only be opened from the outside. So we changed rooms. We were on the 7th floor.
The suites are very tired and have poor joinery which makes them look old and worn, but the biggest complaint is the heat. I see other posts complaining about this when it was 10 degrees outside, Edinburgh was in the mid twenties during our stay which made the rooms unbearably hot. Our room was like a sauna, every day and despite the cooling towers in the room they do nothing to alleviate the discomfort. The cooling towers are extremely noisy so we didn't get a good night's sleep at all.
Other reviews have the managers saying the rooms will cool with the towers, they don't and some proper air conditioning needs to be put in place.
The breakfast was also a joke. The poor waitress was completely over worked but half way through the advertised service time there were just scraps off food left in the buffet and the dregs of juice. The cooked breakfast of poached eggs for one and fried for the other came out completely solid, the rest of it was either very dry or burnt.
A complaint was made to management but no response to date.
Bottom line don't stay here, but if you do choose to ignore this advice choose a lower floor room and eat out for breakfast.

Room Tip: Stay away from the top floors
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian238
Evlyn G, Front Office Manager at Fraser Suites Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Brian 238,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Fraser Suites, I am delighted that you found our team so friendly and helpful.

My apologies that you had issues with your fridge door however I am pleased that we were able to accommodate you in alternative accommodation. We are currently undergoing a soft refurbishment plan through this busy time of year however I am disappointed that you found the joinery to be lacking, I shall make your comments known to the maintenance team for their immediate attention.

As you are probably aware, temperatures this high are not common in Edinburgh and although a lovely experience for you when out and about I am sorry to hear that you were uncomfortable with the heat indoors and that the cooling towers provided did not do enough. Unfortunately in our beautiful historic listed building we are more prepared for the cold than the heat however we are working on this development and look forward to offering air conditioning in the near future.

I shall pass your comments to the attention of the Bistro Manager who will be disappointed that you did not experience the fantastic and personal service which they strive to offer every guest.

I trust that you enjoyed your time at the Festival, a fantastic and very busy time of year to experience Edinburgh, perhaps your next trip will be entirely different. Edinburgh is very laid back in the shoulder seasons and a fantastic time and temperature to wander around at your own pace.

I hope that you will visit us again, I am sure you will find us much improved.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My son and and I attended the Tattoo as a special treat for his birthday. I am disabled and need a lot of extra luggage and a wheelchair because of this. We had checked previously to make sure I could dropped off outside. When we got there street sealed off because of Festival and officious private security guard (G4S) would let us through hotel should have told us or made arrangements to allow access.

Linen Trolley parked outside my room for whole duration of stay despite reception claiming they had told housekeeping 3 times. Made access difficult.

Equipment for self catering. Half of it missing despite telling reception what was missing eg can opener it was still not put right by housekeeping

This is not cheap you can get better value for money elsewhere

Very disappointed it had come highly recommended

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Davidhatton

Dear David Hatton,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we appreciate your feedback.

Although there is not onsite parking at the hotel there is pay parking for short stay available in St Giles Street and there is also parking for blue badge holders. During the Fringe Festival in August and the Military Tattoo performances the street is cordoned off for emergency vehicle access as well as heightened security. We have found that the security personnel have been very helpful to our guests in allowing access and limited parking while they drop off their bags and check in, I am sorry that this was not your experience however I am pleased that you were allowed access.

My apologies that the linen trolley was any inconvenience for you and that there were items lacking from your kitchenette. I shall bring your comments to the attention of our Housekeeping Manager. Our kitchenettes in our Suites are generally very well equipped with cutlery, crockery, pans, combination oven, microwaves and cooking utensils, the larger apartments do have the larger kitchens however I understand that a can opener is a very frustrating item to be lacking, we shall be sure to rectify this.

Although hotel rates throughout Edinburgh are higher in August, we are very competitively priced and often commended for this as you will see form previous reviews. I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the facilities and hope that you will give us the opportunity to better your opinion of the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you again, please do not hesitate to contact us directly with any special requirements.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The location of this hotel is good although a little noisy. The suite we had was a little disappointing. It wasn't quite as clean as I would have expected. certainly the carpet needed a good vacuum. The communal areas seemed just a tad tired.
During check in we were asked for a credit card and told £50 would be taken as a guarantee. This would be refunded after checkout but could take up to a week to reach our account?????
We had booked bed and breakfast which was confirmed on arrival. The breakfast was very disappointing. On checkout the receptionist tried to charge for the breakfast and at one point even suggested the b&b offer may have been for one person only! She did eventually realise we were entitled to our breakfast.
Over all the stay was okay but I think I would try somewhere different next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not onto the front street.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Pj,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Fraser Suites. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the location of the Hotel though surprised that you found the area noisy. Our area is generally very peaceful despite the buzz of the Royal Mile. At this time of year you can expect fantastic bands, performers and artists to be filling the Royal Mile which does create quite a bit more noise than usual however it is also a fantastic time of year to visit with so much to see and do, definitely an experience not to be missed.

My apologies that you did not experience the standard of cleanliness that we strive to offer, I shall forward your comments to the Housekeeping Manager. Please be assured that although a busy time of year our gold standard of service remains as high. My apologies that this was not the case on this occasion.

As procedure on check in our team take a preauthorisation of £50 per room, this is not a charge and is only held by the bank. It is automatically released to your account, a process which takes between 3 - 5 working days, we mention a week as it often falls over a weekend. This is a standard procedure for many hotels allowing you to open a line of credit should you wish room service or any extras to be added to your account.

My apologies that there was any confusion over the inclusions of your package, I am pleased this was quickly rectified.

I hope that you will visit again soon, please do feel free to contact us directly should you have any special requests or wish to make a reservation.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed in a junior suite for a weekend city break. Staff was very welcoming and looked after our baggage as we had arrived early in the morning. Location is excellent. Hotel is accessible easily via the bus, train or tram. Room was well appointed however we had some concerns about the cleanliness. Ie hair in the bathroom, carpets needed vacuuming, mirrors were dirty. I must say the l'occitane products were a pleasant surprise and greatly appreciated! We stayed on the 5th floor and the wifi worked intermittently. It was incredibly slow! Very frustrating. For the price, a few minor things detracted heavily from the value.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eboltz

Dear Eboltz,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Fraser Suites, your feedback is very much appreciated.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your break in Edinburgh and found our friendly front desk team so helpful. As you noticed the location is perfect for public transport and getting around easily on foot. We are always happy to hold luggage for guests who arrive on early flights or trains, allowing you to explore the beautiful city unencumbered.

I am dreadfully sorry to hear that you experienced any issues with housekeeping and shall bring your comments to the attention of our Housekeeping Manager to act upon. I assure you that this is not our usual standard and shall take your comments on board to improve upon. I am pleased that you enjoyed the beautiful L'Occitane toiletries provided, they are such a wonderful product which makes bath time so much more relaxing.

I am very pleased to say that our new and improved Wi-Fi system is far faster, more secure and still complimentary. My apologies that you experienced issues during your stay however this was during the installation period. I am very pleased to say that it is a very smooth service now, which I hope you will experience on your next visit.

I look forward to welcoming you then.