“A little disappointed but great location.”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #31 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Benbecula Island, United Kingdom
“A little disappointed but great location.”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My daughter and I spent two nights at this hotel and we were looking forward to it from the reviews. I have previously stayed at the balmoral and thought I would stay at another 5 star hotel in Edinburgh. We got a taxi from waverley as it was wet and it only cost us £3.50 with tip. A good start. As we walked into the lobby there was no one there no doorman and nobody in reception. I thought the cocktail bar was a coffee bar and wandered where the real bar was.
Eventually someone came and she was very apologetic as she didn't know the checking in system. She offered us a complementary coffee and said she would send someone to check us in. We had a coffee which was luke warm and waited. Meanwhile the reception team turned up and checked in approx 6 couples. 40 minutes passed and I went up to the desk and asked to speak to the manager. James was very apologetic and gave us a complementary bottle of wine which was a nice touch.
Our room was lovely with a good view of giles cathedral. however we asked for a twin room and the bed was a double. It was easily solved when we went out as they were split apart.
Everything was clean and in good order. Breakfast was good.
However i feel it doesnot deserve it's 5 star rating. I have been to a lot of 5 star hotels and the little touches that make it unique were not there e.g sparkling wine or champagne at breakfast, little biscuits or nuts served with your coffee or drink. A seating area to have a quiet drink and read the paper. Nobody told us where to go for breakfast or told us where the spa was. Nobody showed us to our room and explained how things worked. the turn down service was good but usually there is a chocolate or the weather forecast on the pillow.
On the positive the complementary mini bar and two items of laundry cleaned was good, it was within the price. The staff were friendly.
I go to Edinburgh a lot and I cannot say whether I would definetly return to this hotel again. Maybe.

1 Thank CHrisCooper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 30 December 2011

The Missoni is a well-designed hotel in a great location and I chose it because it has built a good reputation.

Upon booking, the reservation staff were helpful and similarly on arrival we were greeted warmly. I was surprised after researching the hotel, that I had built an image of an intimate and private venue however the reception area is small and it's bar is busy and open to all to enter.

The room was comfortable if not on the small side, stylishly furnished in Missoni designs although lighting was a little stark for my taste. Overall, a lot of effort has gone into the aesthetics of the hotel.

For me the hotel lost points on its marketing and service. I hasten to add that everyone was friendly. But when it came to the 45 minute queue to get into the restaurant for breakfast, reception was unable to credit me so that we could get on with our day and find somewhere else to eat.

As for marketing, I sense that demand for the Missoni offering in Edinburgh's upper price bracket is not great, so I was also put off by some couples in the lift who bragged that they managed to get weekend break deals through a lucky dip at lastminute.com; especially since I had paid almost four times the amount they did for the same thing. It was embarrassing having spoilt my partner to what I thought was an exclusive birthday weekend. It was these points and the minor issue of having no one available to pick up the reception phone that spurned him to remember our stay as a comedy of errors.

So overall, a mixed bag for me. I would have foregone the designer label for some tailor-made service and a bit more exclusivity having seen how hotels like Sofitel do it for a similar price or less. That said, I forwarded my feedback and they were polite enough to reply promptly and give me the name of someone to contact should I choose to stay there again.

Room Tip: I felt we could have done better - ask to see a couple if you're not satisfied
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bermondsey_traveller
Services_Missoni, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
Dear ‘bermondsey_traveller’,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent stay at Hotel Missoni and also for choosing to get in touch directly.

We host quite a lot of guests who are celebrating an occasion, whether it is a birthday or an anniversary and it is understandable you would want every aspect of the stay to be special for both you and your partner. I am sorry that there were a few points which you felt took a little of the sparkle out of your weekend.

We are sorry you felt you did not get a good deal on the room. As with most business in the tourism sector, the price of an end product can fluctuate dramatically depending on demand as well as the time at which the booking is made.

With regard to the wait at breakfast time, we can only apologise. Please rest assured that this is not our usual standard and we are sorry to have let you and ourselves down on this occasion.

I do hope you will consider staying with us again and we look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Julianne Frith
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. If you are seeking five star luxury in the traditional stereo-typical style normally associated with these establishments, do not book this. However, if you are more open to five star luxury surrounded by quirky modernity, then I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough to you. The staff are amongst the best that I have every witnessed in action, both in friendliness and attention to detail. All the little extras are present from heated mosaic en-suite floors, dual function shower, wonderful cocktail bar, central "walking distance to everything" location and a top class "hard to beat anywhere" breakfast. And I have only just scratched the surface of service levels that this hotel provides to its guests.

I noted only one tiny concern which was the lack of drawer, shelf and closet space in the room to store clothes. However, this will not prevent me from staying there when in Edinburgh again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank widows_weeds
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2011

For my 'milestone' 50th birthday this week, my wife treated us to a 2 night stay at Hotel Missoni, Edinburgh. Conveniently situated on the Royal Mile, there are a multitude of attractions that are within easy walking distance - St.Giles' Cathedral, Grassmarket, Camera Obscura and the Castle to name just a few on this potentially inexhaustible list ! Edinburgh's history is all around you here and we also visited Mary King's Close - the subterranean 'street'. Well worth a visit ! At the Missoni, we stayed in a 'Superior' room on the fourth floor and the view through the floor-to-ceiling window looking out over the Old Town towards Leith was stunning.
The room itself was very well furnished with good quality (expensive) fixtures and fittings, A complimentary mini-bar, a Nespresso coffee maker, Bang & Olufsen TV and Jacob Jensen telephones. The beds were firm but very comfortable and there was a smart mosaic-tiled bathroom/shower wetroom supplied with the usual robes, slippers and toiletries.
The decor is smart contemporary throughout the hotel with lots of bold colours, stripes and snazzy fabrics used to good effect.
We didn't use the hotel for breakfast/luch or evening meals so cannot comment on the restaurant but we did order a room service supper and this was perfectly fine.
In this part of town there are many restaurants catering to a wide range of culinary tastes.
I would definitely visit here again !

Room Tip: Fourth floor with a view towards the Old Town/Arthur's Seat
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2011

My boyfriend and I just spent 3 nights at the Missoni in Edinburgh. We were very happy with our room which was very clean and comfortable. Lovely large bathroom with a great shower. Nice perks like free wi-fi and free snacks in the mini fridge. The central location of the hotel is ideal. However mostly, I'd like to compliment the wonderful staff. Everyone from reception, to house keeping, to the wait staff in the restaurant was extremely helpful and genuinely friendly. I would stay at the Missoni again in a heartbeat!

1 Thank FraKa1
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Great overall hotel, perfect location on royal mile, quiet rooms, very cool. Bit pricey for actually what you really get. We sampled the treatments which were nice. Don't bother with the 15 pound a head breakfast, plenty of other good breakfast places within 5 min walk.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank coolerpaul
Reviewed 24 December 2011

On arrival at Hotel Missoni this fantastic weekend break began. The hotel and staff are amazing. If room 514 is anything to go by then I could not fail to see how anyone could not enjoy there time here. We were hard pressed to actually leave the hotel to go out and see our normal sights of Edinburgh. A note to the hotel is our appreciation in them accommodating our late change in arrival and departure dates, we very much appreciate this.

1 Thank Vcarlton