“Style Amongst the Tartan Tat”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #26 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The Missoni Hotel is an chic , stylish hotel with great rooms and excellent service .It offers some quirky extras eg free mini bar , free laundry and free movies which were all utilised . Going buy the number of people that were in the cocktail bar on Saturday evening it is obviously the place to go and be seen.

The only negative I have about the hotel is its proximity to the countless tartan tat shops which are scattered along the Royal Mile and which I think is an embarassment to Edinburgh bearing in the significance of this historic location.

Missoni 5 Stars - Tartan Tat ,Scotlands Shame, no Stars

1  Thank scottmac1
Write a ReviewReviews (2,922)

Reviewed 16 March 2012

went to edinburgh for our birthdays,our first visit to scotland,best hotel we have ever stayed in,the design and colour from the front foyer to our room was stunning,our room was modern and colourful,staff were friendly,and welcoming, excellent service.location was near the railway station and sightseeing,where we wanted to be,will recomend it to anyone going to edinburgh.

1  Thank david_keeler
Reviewed 14 March 2012

My partner and I went for my birthday last year. The hotel has a contemporary design and it's great! Welcoming staff and an offer of an upgrade at a reduced price, which consisted of free mini-bar and film package. Gorgeous room with stunning views of the cliffs beyond the city. Excellent breakfast, although the buffet was a bit 'confusing'; dishes laid out but wasn't clear if they were for decorating purposes or consumption! We ate them and no-one protested. Right in the middle of the city. Would love to return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nissemor
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My husband and I stayed in this hotel back in October 2011, and could not have been happier with it. We still rave about this hotel to others, and we cannot wait to go back to Edinburgh, in part because we loved this hotel so much.

From a design perspective, the rooms, lobby and amenities cannot be matched. But, it was the customer service and hospitality that put this hotel over the top for us. First, because of the fact that we actually arrived a little too early for check-in, we had to wait about 10 minutes for our hotel room to be available. While it was totally our fault (and we could have waited the ten minutes), the people at the front desk took our bags, and comped us drinks at the bar, even letting us know what was their specialty, and what drinks were their favorites. Great! On another day, I got it into my head that I could not leave Scotland without seeing a "hairy coo" (which is really just a big, hairy cow to us Americans). Much to my husband's dismay, I called the front desk asking how we could see a "hairy coo" without going on an all-day tour (a few of them promised a "hairy coo" sighting as a main attraction). While the front desk person did not know offhand, he told me he would find out and let me know. When we got back to our hotel room later that evening, he had handwritten us a note (on a Missoni card, of course) letting us know where to find a "hairy coo" in town, wrote out directions for how to get there, let us know it would be a scenic walk if we were up to it, etc. After many stays at Four Seasons, Ritzes, and other such places, we had never experienced this level of customer service.

Add to all of that a free mini-bar which is restocked twice a day with goodies, a "candy buffet" in the lobby every afternoon, and an amazing in-house Italian restaurant with the friendliest wait staff I have ever met. Oh! And, of course, hospitality staff walking around in Missoni-print kilts was icing on the cake for me, a total design junkie. I was basically in heaven for the four days we spent there. If only I was there now. . .

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CaraBurke
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We just had a romantic weekend away in Edinburgh and stayed at Hotel Missoni. Everything was so beautifully done and the staff were incredibly helpful. The hotel is modern and chic. The location is unparalleled (we watched the pipers busking from our window on the Royal mile). And brilliant bonuses like the complimentary mini bar and items of laundry. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask to be facing onto the Royal Mile
1  Thank LondonLMac
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We have always wanted to visit Edinburgh and had the very rare opportunity of a kids free weekend so jumped at the chance. After lots of research we opted for Hotel Missoni, having found a great rate. We arrived around 12.30pm and had pre-booked valet parking (expensive but well worth it for ease of parking) so were greeted at the entrance by a Missoni designed kilt-clad gentleman who took our bags and escorted us to reception where we were warmly greeted by Steph. We were complimentary upgraded to a Grandiose Room, which was ready (normal check in 3pm). Check in procedure was professional and friendly as well as very informative (offered to make us dining reservations in hotel or at other restaurants and had lots of suggestions and recommendations for us as first timers to the City). Our room had amazing views of the City from the wall-wall windows. The room was immaculately clean and very well appointed with a Nespresso coffee machine and a complimentary mini bar (contained 4 bottles of water, still and sparkling, milk, coke x 2, diet coke x 2, orange, lemonade, Peroni x 2 and white wine as well as 2 packets of crisps) There was also a kettle and container full of tea supplies and a bottle of red wine. There was a small seating area with two chairs, small table and a selection of new magazines.

The bathroom was very well appointed. We would have liked a bath but knew there was only a shower as it is well documented in the hotel literature (need to book a suite for a bath). The shower had option of ceiling rainforest shower or the regular wall mounted/removeable head with seating. A nice selection of toiletries, slippers and bathrobes was included.

Night time turndown service was offered. Hotel Missoni has an Ipad App which we found really useful for requesting things like mini-bar replenishment, room service and had a full hotel directory of services so great for those with iPad/iPhone. There is a free daily laundry service if required (2 items per day was offered to us but not required)

All the staff are friendly and quite young. The hotel has a great vibe. The bar was always busy but with a refined clientele - the bar staff are very friendly and make fabulous cocktails! This does not affect noise in rooms however. Rooms are on other floors and can only be accessed via lift where you have to insert your room card. The hotel was very quiet and we never heard doors closing/guests and never saw the housekeeping staff or their trolleys like you usually do in hotel corridors. We requested extra pillows (options for type of pillow) which arrived very promptly.

We were out most of the time as had lots we wanted to see and do. Edinburgh is a great place for a short break with so much to do and enjoy. The hotel is in a great position and we walked everywhere.

Room Service is efficient and offers high quality food. We had breakfast on our rate which was a lovely experience. Very efficient service, friendly staff and options of cooked and continental breakfast - could choose from both.

We were so pleased that we chose Hotel Missoni and Edinburgh for our short break - and will hopefully return to both in the near future. Thank you to all the staff, every one of you made our stay warm and friendly.

Room Tip: We were upgraded from a Missoni Room to a Grandiose - to be honest I woudl have expected our Missoni...
1  Thank luv2holiday64
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed at the Missoni for 2 nights (2-4 March 2012) for a Birthday celebration and the entire experience was excellent.

Firstly, we were overwhelmed with the suite upon arrival. We were in awe of the views and facilities at hand (the bathroom alone was incredible). I have to say though that however stunning a suite is, it would be nothing without the staff...I have stayed at a number of top class hotels and none of them compare in terms of the welcome, friendly approach and customer experience. From the moment we arrived to the dining experiences and friendly chit chat there was nothing other than a smile and offer of help throughout (and all of it genuinely expressed). Attention to detail was second to none, especially in Cucina where the team looked after our party so well for lunch and were engaging, informative and generally good fun. I had probably the best Birthday celebration ever thanks to them (the food is also excellent).

I completely understand why the Hotel Missoni has the prestigious reputation it does (family and friends had educated me on this before my arrival). The family and friends that visited on Saturday were equally impressed and thoroughly enjoyed the Missoni experience.

We had planned to venture out into Edinburgh after lunch on the Saturday but decided to stay in the hotel as we were enjoying it too much.

This has to be the best hotel experience I have ever had and I cannot thank the team enough from the doormen, reception, Cucina team, room service and bar staff who all made this a wonderful stay. Upon check-out the doorman was so helpful and had a chat with us to recommend other places to visit for the rest of our stay in Scotland.

I recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of visiting Edinburgh and wishing to stay in lovely surroundings but more importantly with great staff who take the entire experience to a higher level than any of the competition.

I will definitely visit again and look forward to it!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite especially if you are staying for more than an overnight sleep.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends