“High Expectations - Average Results”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #28 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 June 2012

My friend and I stayed over at The Missoni for May Bank Holiday. Upon entering the hotel we were greeted politely, and checked in efficently. We were not shown to our rooms, which is normally the cutom for five star hotels. We made our own way up to the room.

We were both happy with the layout and quality of space as we had a twin room. The en-suite facillity was designed beautifully, very stylish!

We found the room to be very hot, weather or not his had something to do with the spa, which was on the same floor as us, I do not know. We were unable to control the air conditioning, so the room temperature was all over the place.

We went down the cocktail bar, which we had heard so much about and were served by a very friendly and informative Ozzie! He told us of a few bars to go to that were off the beaten track as it were. The cocktails were nice, but not outstanding. I noticed that everyone else was given bar snacks, we were not. Whether this had something to do with our young age, I do not know.

Upon arrival back in the hotel after a great night out in Edinburgh we decided to order breakfast in bed. Everything turned up in the morning as we had ordered it. For £13.00 a head, I was not totally satisfied with what we received. A pot of tea, cereal, a mini croissant and pain au chocolait and a slice of toast each. Mmmm not my idea of £13.00 well spent.

We used the hotel room a bit more and found the music channels poor especially the connection.

The next morning after a rather pleasent nights sleep, we decided to give the breakfast one more go. We ate in the restaurant at a cost of £18.00 a head. The selection was better and the hot meal was also up to a good standard. Very small portion sizes and they also got my friends meal wrong, so by the time I had finished mine, hers arrived. Not 5 star service.

All in all it has a great location, good ambience, but does not have the luxury of a five star!! The Glasshouse is much better.

Room Tip: Away from the Spa floor
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank LydiaRiley

Reviewed 1 June 2012

The new benchmark for hotel service! We were there for a wedding, they just made it all the more special.
The staff were incredibly friendly and very helpful - nothing was ever a bother; and if they didn't have it, then they'd go and get it! This is hotel service how it should be - personalised service.
The new accommodation was brilliant - bright new room, with climate control that works! Amazing design and styling. So many special touches in the rooms like the mini-bar and the robes - oh, the robes. Our view looked out over Arthur's seat and out to the ocean, all through our floor-to-ceiling glass windows! Amazing outlook. The bed was soooo comfortable. Only negative was the sun coming though the curtains at 4am - needs heavier blinds!
The food and service in the restaurant was fantastic.
The Missoni Edinburgh is incredible value for what they offer. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Second time we have stayed here for a short break. We were not disappointed. Nice polite check in, we were a bit early, so bags were kept for us no problem, then moved to the room when ready. The decor is excellent, all staff, without exception greeted you with a smile. The cooked breakfast was very good, eggs were double yolked, nice meaty sausages, and crispy bacon. Would recommend without a problem

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim W
Reviewed 29 May 2012

The nicest hotel we have stayed in, really quirky design with an extremely high finish and very comfortable. Loved the bar and restaurant and a fantastic location. Wish there were more Missoni Hotels around the world!

Room Tip: From what I could tell I don't think any of the rooms would be disappointing.
1  Thank Jennifer C
Reviewed 29 May 2012

After getting a great deal on Late rooms, the location of the hotel was great. The room was fabulous lovely little touches like free mini bar and coffee machine. Perfect location for resturants and attraction would stay again and recomend.

1  Thank amanda r
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We chose the Missoni for its location, price range and the many good reviews. Our experience was a wonderful one. We were warmly welcomed by a charming, always helpful young staff who maintained an unfailing, friendly enthusiasm throughout our 4 day stay. They gave new meaning to the term “hospitality”.

Our room was very comfortable, had all the amenities I would expect – and more. I especially appreciated the free WIFI (for which I was charged at the other hotels on our trip). There were some other extras- like a free mini-bar filled with soft drinks and free laundry of two items daily – that I thought at first were no big deal. But as it turned out, it was a nice luxury to have some of my favorite travel clothes returned to me freshly cleaned and pressed the next day. And one night we ordered club sandwiches from room service but forgot to include the cokes – no problem as they were in the mini-bar. I was concerned that I would be unhappy without my evening soak in a tub – a luxury that is important to me. But the Missoni shower is not ordinary. It had a comfortable bench and I was able to improvise a way to shower/soak off the day's worth of sightseeing aches and finish feeling refreshed.

The view from our room was very good – we faced an impressive old building and an interesting street scape. The hotel bar was a hive of activity with the locals and there was a nice buzz. While we didn't have dinner there, the restaurant was popular and busy. We were close to Edinburgh Castle and St. Giles and a pretty walk to the National Gallery and a beautiful park. The weather was REALLY cold and windy for May so we didn't do as much walking as we would have liked.

3  Thank rueAlger
Reviewed 28 May 2012

The Hotel Missoni is really a good option to stay in Edinburgh!! The rooms and the service are the positives points of this hotel. The view of our room to the Castel was fantastic!!! The breakfast is good, but the fresh fruits could be better... We recomend!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple