“Awesome Stay”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #25 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 September 2012

The best location in Edinburgh to visit the city! The staff is very friendly and the Hotel style really fits the vibe of the city. You can walk everywhere from here and it is close to the hop on and off bus locations. They do have a car park, it will just cost you an arm and a leg to park your car.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,949)

Reviewed 22 September 2012

Fantastic Chic boutique type of hotel. Bar was amazing with Prosecco on tap!
Restaurant was excellent, great choice of food.Staff were very helpful both in the bar and in the restaurant, finding us seats in an already crowded bar, and taking our drinks orders quickly and efficiently. Also got us up to our restaurant reservation on time.

Check out the amazing and very glitzy toilets......They will surprise you.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Don't be thrown off by the less than Scottish name. It is a very good hotel in a great location. Considering the quality and location, the price is reasonable.

The hotel is very modern, both in decor and in overall ambiance. My wife and I don't really fit into the modern traveller mold, but we enjoyed the hotel. The rooms were rather well sized as were the bathrooms. The only issue we had was the lack of closet space and drawers. We were starting a 3-week trip, so we had a fair amount of luggage (okay, too much). The closet space was more appropriate for people who are less encumbered by clothes, say a long weekend from elsewhere in Europe.

The staff were generally very helpful, friendly and well-informed. The Italian restaurant was truly excellent, with attentive service. The maitre d'hôtel visited every table and ensured that everything was being looked after.

We were unfortunate, as the hotel (not the area, just the hotel) lost water on the morning of our departure. The desk staff was a little defensive, but quickly made a good-will gesture on the bill when asked.

All things considered, it is a very good place to stay in the heart of the tourist district and the fringe festival.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed there in a Grandioso Room in End of July 2012.

1. (poor room reservation process and poor reaction)
We tried to book our room on-line, in mid July, But, the reservation was not smooth at all. Their internet site was down and would not proceed to the checkout page with my payment details, and I called the hotel to finish booking the room quickly as it was the last available one.

I had instructed the call recipient, that I would like to receive an email confirmation, but it didn't reach me for next two days. When I called the hotel again, it was confirmed, reserved. When I commented on the no followup of the booking confirmation from the previous person. This second staff said "it wouldn't be a big deal." How insensitive she was.
'Wouldn't anyone want a reservation printed out before he shows up in the lobby?' I asked. She call said, not necessarily. Another resilient answer.

______________________

2. (room was not ready, no champagne basket given)
Coming from London by Night Train, it was hard to find the hotel from the Train Station at 7am. There was no information booth or signs of such, or any taxi stand nearby to find a taxi outside. It was probably because the Station was under a serious renovation then.

Anyway, we arrived at the hotel at just past 8am. We did not expect them to check us in, right then. But, surprisingly we were already expected and the porter ushered to our room. Nice! But, we noticed instantly there was no extra bed we had paid for, or, no welcome basket they were included in our rate. But the porter didn't notice them all, and I had to point them out to him.

3. (noisy room, no AC, never mentioned on the website)
We liked the room initially, but, as soon the daylight warms up the room, it was getting stuffy. And, when we opened the windows, the vibration and the noise from Lawnmarket street was just beyond the horrifying one. It echoes from 4:30am for dumpster pickup to small trash barrel work at 7am the following day.
We were told by the porter that the hotel couldn't put HVAC due to the lower ceiling of the old house building we are in.

Although it was just awkward to keep the head out of the windows to see the panning view, it still was fun to overlook the happenings in the cobble-stoned Lawnmarket (toward Edinburgh Castle, awfully touristy) and High Street(Pedestrian block.

We waited for next 30min. to see the extra bed to arrive, then, reported the broken faucet in the shower booth, and, we also noticed. It was never brought to our attention whether they could fix the shower during our stay. And, the bathroom door was hollow and we could hear the very private noise of the other guest's business, while the door was closed.

4. (Tiny outscaled TV for Grandioso Room)
The King bed was comfy but, the small TV was out of scale for the size of the room, 26" Bang & Olefusen TV, even with a noisy speaker, was not adequate for us to watch TVs from the bed, and the work surface wasn't big enough for a laptop and once occupied , the TV will be blocked to the other guest.

5. (Plain Buffet Breakfast)
The breakfast was included in our rate and it was on the first floor above the lobby. But, the breakfast selections were not good and the hostess was stiff as a stick, not welcoming us to the table naturally.
The food we had was nothing special but as basic as Holiday Inn kind. Don't anticipate much for the breakfast in the hotel, but there is a friendly cafe on the Lawnmarket side for a charming updated Scotish Full Breakfast, instead.

6.(issues with the night staff-Oskars, the manager never contacted me back)

However, the real trouble happened after we checked out after 11am.

a. I held the hold tickets for our left luggage for our night trip back to London. And, the other guests, with me, weren't asked of their names. But, one of us DID retrieve the bags without being checked of his name or mine, later, and, none of the receptionists asked for the tag number either, and, no, we never met these night staff during our stay.

b. We were seated at the bar later to catch our breath from the heavy rain. When I ordered Iced Coffee, the barman gave me a milk coffee, without asking my preference. And, when I pointed out that he should have given me a black coffee with a separate milk, he dismissed my comment and said, "That is how we serve the iced coffee here." He did not offer a new one, but walked away. Who is "we" and where is "here"?

c. When we came to the front desk to retrieve our luggage, the night staff, AGAIN, did not even ask the description of the bag or tag numbers. I instantly brought the security issue with their poor luggage retrieval process, and the bar issue separately.

Oskars was the duty manager that night, but he, also dismissed that the bar problem and he simply asked me to report it to the bar manager. I thought he was the duty manager of the hotel and this happened in the waiting area- withy a bar island next to the front desk, and I have to make a separate complaint to the maintenance manager, bar manager, restaurant manager according to him? ridiculously, he said yes!

Oskars also did not find any problem of casually releasing the luggage without proper checking ID or requesting to present the tag numbers to the guests.

Obviously, I had problem with the poor handling of my complaints/concerns by Oskars, and I demanded for the direct number I could call later to reach his director or the actual manager. He refused to give out the name of the managing person I could reach next morning. y

d. Then he called out the bar manager, Mathew W., who happened to be the same bar man I was complaining about. Once brought up, Mathew apologized sincerely right there when he realized I had attempted to make a small complaint against him.

But, Oskars, on the other hand, still did not apologize for his misjudgment on the guest comments or his earlier refusal to give out any contact number to follow upon my request. Only when Mathew, the bar manager, instructed Oskars to put his name down on his name card, then, he put his name, Oskars M.

I could not understadn his slow and inept reaction. He appeared to be nothing but an apprentice. Later another front desk person confirmed that he could not be the duty manager as he was new. Well. Self-imposed Duty manager to the hotel guest ,then.
y
I have traveled in many places and stayed always in the best hotels I could, and this, to me, this hotel Missoni is a mere 3.5-4 star boutique hotel. Compared to the typical 4 star boutique hotels, this is par inferior with even bad guest handling skills.

You might experience the poor and inappropriate individuals, who don't meet our expectation of 5 star hotel stays.

7. (Manager/director never called back)
Upon returning to London, I called to explain the situation to the front desk. Although the receiver apologized for the poor handling of the complaints and she promised that I would get a call back from the director, I never got a call or an email back. That is more disappointing.

8. (finally, hotel being in a great central location for old Edinburgh sightseeing, however…)
Although we think it was a good choice to stay central, we are skeptical of the repeat stay there due to the staff's unwilling and resilient attitude, not seeing the problems the way guests see. They don't seem interested in recognizing their mistakes or learning/improving from the guest's comments/complaints. My voice was never heard.

Or is it the typical trait of the Scottish people? I thought we stayed in a 5 star but our impression of Edinburgh was heavily overshadowed by Missoni hotel staff.

I would still recommend this hotel for only short stay travelers, until the room features fall apart, but I suggest not to deal with the night staff at all costs. And, make sure your belongings are secure, but honestly, I don't know how you will.

Room Tip: Choose a basic double bedroom and save your money. Bigger room booking doesn't mean better, real...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank One_Big_Hopping_Dot
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I was nervous to pick an Italian hotel for our stay in Scotland. I wanted something a little more local and quaint, but the reviews and rankings kept bringing me back to the Hotel Missoni. We were not disappointed! Great location! Right off of the Royal Mile. Close walking distance to all of the major tourist attractions. AMAZING staff. Everyone was welcoming and helpful. Nothing was too much to ask. Upon check in, we were told of all the complimentary items for our room rate: mini bar, 2 pieces of laundry per day of stay, breakfast, newspaper, TV movies, etc... The rooms are perfect size and we had a wonderful view. Finishes are top notch and add a wonderful vibrancy next to the somewhat grey life in Edinburgh. Only complaint would be the noise from the bars on Victoria street when they close. Other than that, couldn't have been better.

Room Tip: if you are a light sleeper ask to be on the 5th floor or off of Victoria Street. Otherwise, our roo...
1  Thank anelu8
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Just stayed here on Saturday night awesome hotel right in the heart of everything, from the moment you arrive the staff make you feel special, stayed in room 403 which was fantastic, nice modern touches and the most comfortable bed ever! Liked the way staff knock on around 1800hrs to ask if you are ok and have everything you need for the night as i said its the little things.
I will definately be coming back, the only slight thing if I was being really picky is that the hotel bar at night was busy and with only two staff you might be waiting a while for a drink. But i would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors less noise
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Don't be put off by the gloomy photo on TA. The location of the Missoni is (old town) perfect: walking distance from the Castle and everything. Clean, modern hotel with funky bar and excellent service. All the concierges are young (20's) so you may want to do your own research on restaurants as they really only have a recommendation list and no personal knowledge. But are so pleasant - everything is forgiven. Great hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family