“Excellent place for afternoon tea! (also gluten free)”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #31 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oslo, Norway
“Excellent place for afternoon tea! (also gluten free)”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I had my best ever afternoon tea at Missoni. It was scones, cake, sandwiches....Plus for making it gluten free. My friend had the normal version, got just the same as me. It was a relaxed atmosphere, no loud music. The waiter was really attentive. I still dream about that afternoon tea!

Room Tip: We just came for the tea, no tip on rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank IdaJ76
Iain H, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear IdaJ76

Thank you so much for your glowing review following your afternoon tea experience. I am delighted you had such a fantastic time. If you would like to dream about a Hotel Missoni afternoon tea again why not enjoy a Hotel Missoni bedroom and treat yourself by staying over next time you are in Edinburgh. I know that we would all be delighted to have the opportunity to look after you again and I promise you, you will not be disappointed!

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Laxfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This was our second stay in the Missoni and I'm pleased to report it lived up to the high expectations set by the first – just.

In a bizarre repeat of our first visit our initial room was blighted by a weird 'drains' smell. Also in a repeat of the first visit this was dealt with superbly by the staff. We were moved immediately and with profuse apologies, then offered complimentary cocktails in the bar as recompense. Thanks to Hennah and James for dealing with this so expertly.

However, this could be a recurring problem so the hotel needs to investigate if only to preserve its margins and cut down on any disgruntlement from less understanding guests. Also, I think the TV needs more channels as standard. On the Sunday night we decided to stay in the room and take advantage of the free minibar but couldn't even get BBC4 on the TV! Finally, the cocktail bar is superb but when really busy the service can get a little slapdash.

Overall these are minor gripes, and our stay was great. It was made so mostly by friendly and efficient staff and being in a wonderful space. We will return to Missioni – I just hope these little issues can be fixed and things don't start to slip.

Room Tip: Top Floor Rooms are quieter – good to for the weekend!
Dear ChrisLowthorpe,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again last weekend. I am pleased we managed to successfully move you after the unexpected issue with your first room. I have of course ensured that our maintenance team has been fully informed of your comments. We have also just upgraded our TV channels in light of valuable feedback from our guests.

We pride ourselves on providing the very best for all our guests at Hotel Missoni and it is fantastic to read that you will plan to stay with us again in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back; I would be delighted to be your personal point of call prior to arrival to ensure that all your needs are met once again,

Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Bravo for top location in old town, friendliness and kindness of all staff, extensive room service menu at correct prices, free movies, Free minibar & nespresso, free laundry, bathroom (real hairdryer, nice products, good towels)

Less enthusiast about overpriced breakfast buffet and the area it is served, rooms are not really soundproof (from the hallway and neighbours above at each shower and toilet flush), not as trendy design as I expected, almost outdated)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank eilanthan
Iain H, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear eilanthan,

Thank you for your kind comments surrounding the staff, room service menu and the complementary items included in our room rates. I am pleased that you found everyone to be so welcoming and that you had a great stay with us in Edinburgh.

I am sorry that you felt the breakfast buffet was overpriced and that you had difficulty with the soundproofing in your room. I’d like the opportunity to discuss your feedback further but I am struggling to locate your reservation in our system using your tripadvisor user name. Would you be able to get in touch with me at your earliest convenience so that we can follow up on your experience? We really appreciate your comments which will no doubt ensure we provide superior service in the future. I look forward to speaking to you soon,

Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

On arrival very helpful doorman and reception staff. My daughter and I had a twin room everything was first class in room toiletries robes coffee machine etc.Room was spotless and decor very Missoni! Our one and only complaint was we couldn't open a window room very stuffy even with noisy air con didn't get cool so did not have a good sleep even though beds were very comfortable.Next morning we were both very tired and stuffy. Loved the hotel but not sure I would stay again unless air con worked better!

Room Tip: Make sure the air conditioning is working efficiently
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank diana44410
Dear Diana44410,

I am delighted to read your comments following your stay at Hotel Missoni. Thank you for choosing us for your shopping trip with your daughter. I am sorry that you were not able to open the window in your room. We do have rooms in the hotel that have opening windows and I would be delighted to allocate you one on your next trip to Edinburgh. Please feel free to touch base with me at the Hotel and I would be very happy to be your personal point of contact prior to arrival. We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Hamme, Belgium
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This hotel is one of the best locations if you want to be in the heart of Edinbrugh for a few days. Friendly staff, no question was unanswered. Nice bedrooms with all the luxury you need, perfect breakfast and a nice hotelbar! Within no time you can visit Mary King's close, the Castle, Whisky experience, Frankenstein bar or have a nice walk on the Royal mile ...
One small point - we slept right above the covered terras and had quiet a bit noise from people on the street. Maybe better isolated windows could help.

Room Tip: room 132 - on the corner of two streets - lot's of noise from the street when we were there ...
3 Thank EddyVdS
Dear EddyVdS,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your stay with us at Hotel Missoni. It is fabulous to read that you had such a fantastic time with us in Edinburgh.

I would like to update your personal profile in our system, to specifically allocate you a quiet room next time you are in Edinburgh, however I am unable to identify your previous reservation from your tripadvisor profile. Would you be able to call me when you get a chance, so that we can find your reservation and prepare for your next visit, which we look forward to greatly,

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

We booked to stay 3 nights and so glad we did. The location is perfect for exploring Edinburgh, it is situated on the Royal mile maximum 5 minute walk to the castle and only the same down to Princes Street.
Upon arrival we received a warm welcome from the staff, who were friendly and very helpful throughout our stay nothing was too much trouble.
Our room was on the second floor overlooking the Royal Mile the soundproofing was excellent as we never heard any noise coming from the street below or rooms next door.

The decor in the room is very modern with excellent facilities: espresso machine, complementary mini bar, bathrobes, turn down service and a walk in rain shower which was brilliant, oh and the bed was really comfortable too! Another great touch was the fresh milk in the fridge as there is nothing worse that the little UHT cartons!
We never ate at the hotel but we read it had very good reviews and maybe next time we will try it.
Overall another great hotel I have stayed in and would happily recommend you try.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaveP75
Dear DaveP75,

I am so pleased you were happy with the location of the Hotel. We really are in the best spot, right in the heart of the Royal Mile, only 5 minutes away from key Edinburgh attractions and Waverley Station, which is why we are such a popular chose for leisure and business guests alike. It’s great that you received such a warm welcome from our staff and that you were happy with your allocated room. Although we are centrally located, street noise is kept to an absolute minimum with our excellent double glazing in our rooms facing George IV Bridge and Victoria Street.

Thank you so much that you will be recommending Hotel Missoni to friends, family and colleagues. We look forward to hopefully getting a chance to meet you again in the near future,

Glasgow
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Booked the hotel for my husbands birthday. Faultless from check-in to check-out. Lovely room with well stocked mini bar and lovely toiletries. All staff very helpful. Enjoyed cocktails in hotel bar, great atmosphere. Would highly recommend this hotel. Look forward to our next stay.

1 Thank laurae178
Dear laurae178,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your husband’s birthday and for taking the time to write about your experience. I am delighted you had such a great time in Edinburgh and we cannot wait for your next stay; maybe your husband might want to treat you for your birthday?

Please touch base with me directly when you are next in Edinburgh and I will be delighted to manage your reservation,