“Lovely hotel, great location......but.”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #34 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Lovely hotel, great location......but.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 nights at this lovely hotel which was spotlessly clean and very chic! The location is perfect half way up the royal mile. One let down for us, being a 5star hotel, we did expect a pool, but were disappointed to discover there was none, should have checked first I guess. Breakfast was nice but when a bill was put on our table we were dismayed as we had pre paid?! We were told we were only allowed one hot option from the kitchen, and as we had ordered porridge and then bacon and eggs, we were charged £5.50 each for the porridge!! I would say this was ridiculous, any other 4 or 5star hotels I've stayed in breakfast was inclusive. So this was disappointing. That being said the hotel was lovely if a bit overpriced, and the staff were great. Had a great weekend.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Iain H, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear Heather B,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you had a great weekend in Edinburgh. It is a shame, however, you were disappointed to discover that we do not have a pool at Hotel Missoni. Our sister property, the Radisson Blu on the Royal Mile, has pool facilities which we should have informed you of, my apologies is we didn’t.

Please also accept my apologies you were surprised about the breakfast charges on your bill. I assure you that we never intended to cause any surprise at all and I have forwarded your feedback onto our Restaurant Manager to follow up accordingly.

I do hope this has not put you off coming back in the future. If you would like to return or have any further feedback please do feel free to get in touch. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

After weeks of deliberating where to stay in Edinburgh, we decided on the Hotel Missoni. I have a disabled back/leg so comfort and location were top of the priority list. This is a fantastic boutique hotel located really close to the Castle on the Royal Mile. You are 2 mins from the castle / whisky tour, 2 mins from the Mound bridge which takes you to princes street and 5 min walk to Waverley bridge/station. The staff are really friendly and knowledgable and the rooms are of a really high standard. There is a spa also within the hotel. We were debating whether to stay at an apartment, but for a little bit more we got so much more by staying at the Missoni. This hotel is highly recommended if you want guaranteed comfort. A true 5* hotel. I also read on a few reviews that hotels such as the prestonfield and balmoral could be a little dated and you pay through the nose also.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel looks ont Arthur's seat if you are on floor 4 or above.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jes C

Thank you so much for your all round review, following your stay with us in Edinburgh. I am so pleased you found our team to be so friendly and knowledgeable. One of our mission statements at Hotel Missoni is “to be the friendliest 5 star hotel in the world, “so it is very reassuring to read that this is reflected in your feedback. Our team has a true passion for providing friendly, professional, unique and personalised 5 star hospitality which makes us such a popular destination in the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Please, remember to touch base with me directly and I will make sure that, you are once again, very well looked after.

Have a Sparkly Christmas and a very Happy New Year,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here the night after our wedding. We were treated to an upgrade and had an amazing experience! The hotel itself is modern and funky and the staff are fantastic. The suite we had was spectacular with superb views of Edinburgh. We wanted for nothing the facilities were great and every last detail perfect. Breakfast in our suite was the best iv had and came as requested bang on 9am. The hotel runs like clockwork! Will hopefully be back for our first anniversary!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear haz3333

Many congratulations again on your Big Day and thank you so much for choosing to share your experience with us at Hotel Missoni. We are all so delighted that you had such a magical time in Edinburgh. I cannot wait to look after you again for your 1st wedding anniversary. Please, get in touch with me personally and I will look after your reservation for you.

Have a fabulous Christmas and New Year and I look forward to welcoming you back in 2014!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

The Missoni hotel is very closeto the castle in the old part of Edinburgh. The rooms area modern and comfortable with free video on demand and mini bar, which is great. Breakfast was nice too so I would definitively recommend it to anyone staying in Edinburgh.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear LionessQueen,

Thank you for your review. It’s great that you mentioned the location of the Hotel. For the benefit of other Tripadvisor users that might be planning a trip to Edinburgh, look no further! We are located right in the heart of Edinburgh’s Old Town only 5 minutes from anywhere in the city, which makes us such a popular destination for business and leisure guests. Our Guest Services team are on hand 24hrs a day, 365 days a year, ready to assist all our guests with absolutely anything so pleased get in touch!

LionessQueen, I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Missoni in the future, we are all so pleased you had such a fabulous time with us in this wonderful city!

Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

The service could not be faulted at this hotel, and the complimentary mini bar was a nice touch, although it may be more useful to actually find out what drinks the guest prefers, as much of ours was wasted on us! There is only a single pillow per guest, and although very luxurious, I would have liked two! I know that I could have called down and one would have appeared pretty quickly, but only realising at 2am meant I was just ready to go to sleep!
The cocktail bar looked fabulous, but we didn't try the cocktails. The breakfast was delicious however, with a wide selection of hot and cold fayre, and the Scottish breakfast was just the right amount of everything. It was lovely to have a proper hair dryer for a change, and the robes were Missoni design and better than the average. I like the fact that you had to insert your room key into the lift, a feature I have experienced in the Hilton Park Lane, giving that extra sense of security to your room and belongings.
Overall, a great hotel. It would just take a lot to earn a five star in my book!!

Room Tip: The corner suite on the fourth floor has floor to ceiling window on two sides, and you have a beauti...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear cleoc4t,

Thank you for your glowing review of Hotel Missoni. We really appreciate you taking the time to inform us, and other Tripadvisor readers, of your experience in Edinburgh. I am very pleased that you had such a positive time with us. Thank you for letting us know that you prefer 2 pillows in your room. I would like to update your personal profile in our system with your pillow preference so we can be prepared for your next visit and ask that you touch base with me personally. We even have non feather and memory foam to choose from! Feel free to contact me whenever.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Missoni in the future with the hope that you may review Hotel Missoni with 5 stars next time. Thank you so much for your valuable feedback!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Located by the Royal Mile, this modern hotel has everything you need for your visit. The staff is very friendly and accommodated. We arrived at 7:00 AM and without any hesitation they gave us our rooms. The rooms are big and modern, and you won't want to live the shower!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Iain H, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear ramosri,

I am so pleased you were able to access your room so early in the morning. As long as we have clean rooms available in the morning, we will always check in our guests, because we understand the importance of having as much time as possible to explore our beautiful city!

Thank you so much for your fabulous feedback. Have a super 2013 Festive Period and we look forward to hopefully seeing you in 2014,

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is a modern Hotel set in the Heart of Edinburgh's old town. The staff on arrival were superb and probably up there with best service and customer care we have ever experienced from a Hotel anywhere! The spacious room was decorated in a modern style in keeping with the theme of the Hotel, everything felt very new. Free mini bar, papers and robes were all included in the price. The bar in the evening had a great buzz, all ages seemed comfortable there.
The position of the room in relation to the street did pose a bit of a problem. Noisy booze fuelled revellers in the street below kept me awake until around 5:00am so in hindsight would have been better with a room away from the Royal Mile or perhaps a higher room, this did put a bit of a downer on an otherwise great weekend.
Breakfast was really good a buffet followed by a cooked offering from the kitchen I opted for the egg benedict with salmon (recommended).
Overall a good stay the staff were fantastic shame about the lack of sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid a room over the Royal Mile ... very noisy
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear sharpG,

Thank you so much for your kind comments about the hotel and staff. I am, however, sorry that we were not made aware of the noise disturbance you experienced during your stay. Being a city centre hotel, on rare occasions, street noise can be heard from guest bedrooms, but we would always want to be informed of any discomfort felt from our guests during their stay so that we can find a quick solution. I am sure we could have found an alternative for you had we been made aware of the situation at the time.

I would like to update your personal profile in our system to allocate you a quiet room, for your potential future visits; however I am unable to identify your reservation from your Tripadvisor user name. Please can you get in touch with me at the hotel so we can be prepared for your next visit? Thank you for your valuable feedback,