“Lovely, modern hotel in excellent location”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #30 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Lovely, modern hotel in excellent location”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed here for one night to do some christmas shopping and an evening out. Our room was ready when we arrived at 11.15 am and we received an upgrade. Room was amazing, very modern and stylish with a great view of the city. There was a free mini bar, and the toiletries supplied were everything you would need for your stay, including bath robes. The staff were very friendly and made you feel welcome, even the boys in kilts at the door were there to greet us on arrival and when we left, one of them helped us into the taxi that they ordered for us.

Slept very well, no outside noise could be heard or from any of the other guests either. Breakfast had a good choice of continental and cooked breakfast with very quick service and friendly staff.

I couldn't fault this hotel, the best I have ever stayed in and would definitely stay here again. Perfect!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Iain H, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear T J,

It’s great to read that you were able to gain access to your room so early and that we had an upgrade available for you. Our 4th and 5th floor rooms at Hotel Missoni really do have stunning views across the city and of Arthur’s Seat. We have upgrades available at various prices so it is definitely recommended to enquire before arrival and we will always see what we can do.

Thank you for singling out our kilted doormen who have quickly become hugely popular in the city. Tourists flock to visit our doormen and they always make sure they make time for everyone.

It is very pleasing to read that your stay went smoothly, without fault, which is exactly how it should be. Our guests should feel at home as soon as they step foot in the building and it’s our job to ensure that guest experience is as enjoyable and relaxing as possible, that’s why we do it!

Thank you for your perfect review.

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We arrived at 8.30 in the morning after travelling through the night, the staff were initially friendly and helpful, I understood the room would not be ready for quite a while but when I asked could we get a coffee they said no it wasn't possible and sent us out, I thought this was quite mean considering we had travelled so long and had paid quite a lot for our stay, it wasn't a nice start to my birthday but things did get better. I had to pump milk for my baby and asked the woman in charge was there a quiet area in which I could do this, she had our room ready within 15 minutes. Henna was extremely professional and efficient and she is an asset to the hotel. The room was quite nice and the coffee machine was a lovely bonus, the views were fantatsic. Our breakfast was ok, nothing special for the price! Overall I would give the hotel 3 out of 5

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear CKMBCD,

It is never pleasant reading when we discover that we have let down our guests. Luckily it is rare, but on this occasion, we let our usual high standards slip for, which I apologise. We understand the importance of first impressions and acknowledge that the start of your stay was not what you, or we, would expect from our team; you should have been able to get a coffee in the bar and I am at a loss to explain why we did not oblige. On return to Edinburgh I promise to get you that coffee!

It is however nice to read that things improved during your stay. I have made sure that Henna has been informed of your feedback; she is, honestly, a great asset to the team and has a real passion/ determination to ensure that our guests are well looked after at all times.

I hope to welcome you back in the future. Please touch base with me directly and I will ensure that you are well looked after. I am sure, if given the opportunity, we will improve on the 3 stars that you awarded us, for your most recent stay.

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback which will no doubt ensure we provide superior service in the future,

Flintshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This was our second stay at the Missoni. We brought friends along to celebrate a birthday and a lovely cake was left in the room for John.

We arrived really early so weren't expecting the rooms to be ready, but we were able to check our bags in and were promised a call when they were ready - which we got at 12.30, went back to the hotel later in the afternoon and all the bags had been taken up. We were in room 424 which overlooked the front and had a lovely view. It was a nice quiet room.

The bar was very busy on the Friday night but the lovely bar manager saw me hovering for a table and put a reserved sign on one she knew would be available soon. We had a cocktail from the huge list before we went out.

We booked breakfast for the Sunday only and on Saturday evening had a note in the room to say that if we were able to go down before 9.30 then we would get a bucks fizz as they were expecting the restaurant to be busy later on. That suited us fine, and we had a really amazing breakfast which was perfectly cooked (I can recommend the eggs Benedict!). Lots of cakes, cereals, breads also available which we also sampled.

We left our bags on the Sunday as we weren't leaving until later in the day and we had a taxi sorted for us as soon as we needed it and our bags loaded in.

LOVE this hotel, everyone is just so friendly and helpful - am hoping to make it an annual trip now .. so look forward to seeing everyone again next year!

Room Tip: We were in 424 which overlooked front, but was still nice and quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear gilldavies4,

Absolutely delighted you decided to stay with us again and it’s really fabulous to read that your second time at Hotel Missoni was just as memorable as your first. We have a great system of pre checking in our guests, if rooms are not available before our guaranteed check in time of 1500, which is why I am pleased that you were able to access your room early at 1230. I never like waiting in Hotel receptions for rooms to become available, so we employ a system that allows our guests to pre register, then head out into Edinburgh to maximize their time in this wonderful city! We make sure guests are called as soon as the rooms become available and luggage is taken straight upstairs. On return a key is all you need to pick up from the front desk! Could not be easier!

Bar Missoni and Cucina are the main focal points of our Hotel and are as popular with our hotel guests as with the locals in Edinburgh. Thank you for your valued all round review of Hotel Missoni which no doubt gives other Tripadvisor readers an honest reflection of what it is like to stay with us. Go on, give us a try, you won’t be disappointed!

We look forward to your annual trip to Edinburgh; please allow me to arrange everything for you from now on and I’m sure we will touch base in the New Year,

Have a happy happy happy Christmas and New Year,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

I was in Edinburgh for a conference and treated myself to three nights here. The room was on a corner and was a great size for a solo traveller. I loved the missoni patterned robes. Lovely toiletries, espresso machine and a soft drink mini bar. Breakfast was good, with a freshly cooked hot option and a cold buffet. Staff were really helpful and the hotel has a lovely ambience. I,couldn't fault it.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear Claire_10_77,

Many thanks for your very kind review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us in Edinburgh and that you were so well looked after by our team at Hotel Missoni. It is always really nice to receive such positive feedback; we are all dedicated to providing simply the best level of service and its comments like your above review which makes it all worthwhile.

We look forward to your return. If you cannot live without the bathrobe, it’s called Ken and is available to purchase, please feel free to get in touch and I will point you in the right direction.

Holmfirth, Yorkshire
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We went for a weekend of shopping and treats and were totally bowled over by the Missoni. We stayed in the Rosa Suite (beyond perfect) and have never experienced such fab service. All the staff here are totally dedicated to making your stay here feel special - from the Missoni kilted door staff to the lovely reception staff. Our beautiful Red-haired receptionist even booked us the best table at a fabulous restaurant despite the city being full this weekend! If you want luxury and to feel like a VIP, this is perfect.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Iain H, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear Waxy13,

Congratulations! I am pleased to inform you that the 5 star review you left us following your stay is our 1000th which means that you are a winner! We really appreciate feedback and always encourage our guests to inform us of their experience so we can continue to provide the very best at all times.

With that in mind, I am delighted to inform you that you will receive a complementary lunch voucher for 4 people to use next time you are in Edinburgh. Please get in touch with me personally and I will let you know how to claim the prize.

I am so pleased you had such a fabulous stay. The Rosa suite really is spectacular; on a clear day you can see all the way across to Fife! It is my favorite room in the hotel and cannot recommend it highly enough! We cannot wait to welcome you back to Hotel Missoni in the future and I look forward to hearing from you soon,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Had a great night staying here. The hotel has a great bar with amazing cocktails and even better rooms! The rooms are decorated in a quirky fashion which was a nice change from other hotel rooms. The mini bar free supplies was a nice touch as was there being a free selection of films on the tv.

Perfect location for exploring Edinburgh or if you just want to eat around the Royal Mile.

Breakfast was slightly disappointing for the price etc. Both cooked breakfasts we received had different things on the plates and at particularly scarce quantity. The buffet did look slightly better however!

Would stay here again and will continue to enjoy the cocktail bar.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear SiggiSm,

Thank you for your review and for the 4 stars you awarded us overall for your stay. It is a shame you found the breakfast disappointing, which may or may not have been the catalyst for not awarding us with the 5 and final star. We honestly believe that a Hotel Missoni breakfast is the very best way to start the day so it’s very disappointing when we read when we rarely, have not gotten in 100% right. I do hope you managed to speak to us about breakfast during your stay, if you didn’t then I would be interested in touching base with you to listen to your thoughts on how we can improve our offering. Please do touch base with me personally anytime!

Bar Missoni cocktails await your return, maybe a Charlie Chaplin or a Missoni Mojito? Thank you once again,

Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The best: the location and the “freebies”
The worst: hardly any place to put your clothes and no separate toilet
The hotel is located right off the top of the Royal mile and the corner of George IV bridge and thus ideally located for sight-seeing and shopping in this area. And even Princess Street is only an about 10min walk down the hill. Perfect! It offers free internet and (depending on the rate you chose) free mini-bar and free laundry for two items per day (you obviously do pay for it as part of the room rate...). Check-in/out are speedy and friendly, but sometimes the staff does get confused (we had somebody's luggage delivered to our room twice). The rooms (especially if you choose a larger one) are spacious, have nice views and the rather strong (funky) colour design is not bad. The bathroom and shower area are spacious.
However, you get TWO drawers to store your belongings so unless you can hang them you have to “live” out of your suitcase. And unless you don't mind that your partner is sitting on the toilet while you take a shower it means taking turns in the bathroom...
Maybe it is just us, but why can't designers be a bit more practical???

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear MJN,

Thank you for your valued feedback. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed our inclusive pricing and the location of the hotel. Further thanks for your comments about the hardware of the bedrooms, namely the storage and the bathroom, which have been duly noted and passed onto our Management Team.

It is important to mention that the Missoni design of our rooms is unique. Though rare, negative feedback surrounding the hardware of our bedrooms is harder to respond to than issues regarding service standards, which is why is was deeply disappointing to read that the wrong bags were delivered to your room. It is unfortunately, clear on this occasion we let our usual high standards slip, please accept my apologies. I do however take some rest in the fact that the error was rectified quickly, but you are right, it should not have happened!

I do hope your 1st experience has not put you off coming back in the future. Please get in touch with me personally next time and I will make sure that your personal needs are met,