“Worst bar service ever.”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #34 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Worst bar service ever.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

On our way to a later dinner reservation nearby my wife and I decided to pop in to the lobby bar here in the hope of having some cocktails. We then proceeded to stand at the bar, with 6 staff behind it, and were completely ignored for 15 minutes. During this time I could only see two staff actually making cocktails: one guy spent the whole time tapping away at the till with a despairing look on his face, another stood around and attempted to 'look busy', two female members of staff wandered around moving glasses about, not really doing anything of worth. I attempted to make eye contact with the guy tapping away at the till, who briefly exchanged glances with me, before my wife tried 4 times to get his attention by shouting 'excuse me' in his general direction. The straw that broke the camel's back in this case was when a glamorous couple walked in, went straight up to the bar, and the till-tapping chap promptly dropped everything and fawned to their every command. At this point we had enough and left - we went to a nearby cocktail bar and had some great service within about a minute of arriving.

I have waited for 10 minutes, often more, for service during the festival in Edinburgh, but never in my 10 years of living here have I been completely ignored in a relatively quiet bar for 15 minutes without any staff even acknowledging my existence. To say that I will not be recommending this place is an understatement. The bar staff need sacking, the lot of them. An utter disgrace.

4 Thank mephistophiles
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear mephistophiles,

I cannot apologise enough for your poor experience at Bar Missoni recently. To say that we are disappointed is an understatement; I read your feedback with sincere regret about the clear lack of service that you were greeted with. This lack of service and attention to detail certainly is not what we expect of our team, nor tolerate at Hotel Missoni. It is clear from your feedback that we have fallen well short of your expectations, however I would very much welcome and appreciate being given the opportunity to apologise in person for the damage that we have caused. We fully understand the importance of our local guests, which is why I hope to persuade you to, give up a small amount of your time, so that I can meet to discuss your feedback, with the hope that I might be able to restore your faith in Bar Missoni. Thank you for your valuable feedback and I look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon,

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

Got a 'special' deal for one of the larger rooms but at the price of nearly £300 still I was expecting a high quality luxurious room...have to say I was very disappointed! The room was of standard size so goodness knows what the smaller rooms were like and the decor was quite cheap looking and also lots of marks on the paint work! On the good side you get a full free stocked mini bar (well at the cost of the room it really wasn't free so we made sure we raided it before we left to get some value) and the breakfast selection was very good! I think as everything from bedding to spoons originated from Italy and the location was very central, that's what you are paying for! Sad to say I won't be staying here again !

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank AndrewandMarie
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear AndrewandMarie,

Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were disappointment with the standard size of your room during your stay. We pride ourselves on being able to delight our guest’s day in, day out and deliver a high standard of unique 5 star service, however it is clear from your comments that on this occasion we have fallen short of expectation, which is disappointing. We take guest feedback extremely seriously at Hotel Missoni, which is why I would welcome, being given the opportunity to get in touch with you, to apologise in person, and hopefully to gain a greater understand of how we can continue to improve our service, but more importantly to restore your faith in Hotel Missoni. Please feel free to get in touch with me anytime on 0131 220 6666. I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

This was our second time staying at this hotel for my husband's birthday at the weekend. We really enjoyed it last year and decided to come back.

The location is great and the interior is really modern- that is our taste! Room was cosy and the dressing gowns and nice toiletries are a nice touch. I had told the hotel that it was my husband's birthday and they left a card and raspberry tart in the room for us- lovely!

We were in room 422 which overlooked George IV bridge. We were in a room on a lower floor last year which possibly had a better view because there is a lot if scaffolding across the road but that's not the hotel's fault.

All Staff were excellent- special mention to the guys on the door (sorry I didn't get your names!) and reception. And we love the bar- I am always a fan of pink prosecco on draft by the glass.

As we booked direct with the hotel we were offered upgrades. We opted to upgrade the room which we probably wouldn't do again as the room seemed much the same- still really nice though. Next time I would maybe go for the deals on dinner or spa treatment instead.

Really enjoyed our stay, it isn't cheap but you can get a good deal at this time of year!

Thank you all very much!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear TuggerBeans,

Thank you so much for your stunning feedback. I am delighted that your second stay with us at Hotel Missoni was just as successful as your first. Please do feel free to come back and stay with us again in the future, and make sure you get in touch with me personally, so that I can look after your reservation for you. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Missoni for a third time soon. I hope you had a safe journey home?

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

We dined here for lunch on a trip to Edinburgh (whilst staying at the nearby Hotel du Vin). We were very disappointed as the portion sizes were incredibly small for the premium price that we paid. I had a pasta dish and my husband had a burger, needless to say we had to pop into a coffee shop on the royal mile for afters as we were left very unsatisfied at Hotel Missoni.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy C
Dear Nancy C,

Please accept my sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your meal with us at Hotel Missoni during you recent stay in Edinburgh. It is never nice to read that we have let our guests down, which is why I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you over the phone, so that I can apologize in person. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel anytime and I would be delighted to discuss your feedback in more detail. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

This was our first visit to Hogmany, and our second visit to Edinburgh. We could not have chosen a better hotel to be in the midst of the celebrations. The Torchlight Procession started right in front of the hotel, one of the entry points to the New Year's parties was just across the street, and the Festival Office to collect tickets and torches was only 3 blocks away.

We typically do not stay at hotels that are this expensive. Because we didn't know that we had to book more than a year in advance for Hogmanay, if we wanted to be anywhere near the action, Hotel Missoni was one of the few hotels left with rooms that were near the High Street. So we decided that as a once in a lifetime adventure, why not.

All of the hotel staff were just brilliant, friendly, and helpful right from the moment we walked in the door. Having young men in kilts greet guests and carry the luggage to the room gets one into the spirit of things. Although a bit modern for Edinburgh, the room was well equipped and the minibar items were free (where does that happen these days?) As you leave and enter the hotel from your wanderings you will be warmly greeted by any staff on hand. They were very quick to answer our questions and provided us help as needed. Breakfast is in a bright, cheery room with plenty to chose from no matter what you're looking for. There was a buffet with homemade breads, desserts, jams, fresh fruit, dried fruit, meats, cheeses and cereal. Made to order omelets, full English Breakfast (even a vegetarian version!), every type of eggs, and really good porridge can also be had.

Our room overlooked the corner of George IV Bridge and the Royal Mile so we could see and hear all of the action. We were in the room warming up from our dinner walk prior to the Torchlight Procession when we heard yelling outside. We looked out to see the Vikings arrive who would lead the procession. Not something you see out your hotel every day! The local pipers played on the streets nearby throughout our stay adding another touch of ambiance we had not expected, but thoroughly enjoyed.

We were too busy sightseeing to try the gym or spa, but they are available for use.

This is by far one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in. We would certainly recommend it. The staff are to be commended for their efficiency and friendliness.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MethosAdventures
Dear MethosAdventures,

Thank you for your positive, all round review of Hotel Missoni following your stay with us last December. We are delighted that you had such a great time with us over Hogmanay, which is without doubt, one of main highlights of the year. There is always such a buzz of excitement around the city and everyone in Edinburgh arrives to have a great time. Thank you once again for your very kind words about the hotel and staff. We all have such a passion for hospitality in this wonderful city and it is great to read that we have once again delivered on our promises. Please come back and see us again soon!

London, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,028 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

The hotel is situated in the heart of Edinburgh, walking distance from various attractions, shopping, bars etc. It has an underground car park, current fee is £30.00. When I arrived 2 bell boys took my bags to the hotel, they were polite and efficient. The receptionist was also polite and efficient. The hotel is a boutique style with a contemporary decor. My room was on the 4th floor, it had a king size bed, the mattress was on the hard side and the pillows utterly flat. The armchair in the room was very uncomfortable, nice coffee machine, fridge with various drinks for a fee. The windows in the room could not be opened, so when you have a shower the steam is retained in the room for a good while making it uncomfortable. The bathroom had a walk in shower of a decent size. There was an unpleasant odour emanating from the toilet. The room was very clean. There is a turndown service in the evening. Free wi fi thorough out the hotel The bar was ok, drinks are expensive £8.75 for a glass of Chardonnay, 175ml size.
Breakfast was truly appalling, when we arrived to breakfast no one was there to greet us. We stood by the breakfast tables for a short while. A women appeared and barked, are you here for breakfast? I said yes calmly, we were taken to a table for 2. The cutlery looked very cheap indeed and so was the coffee decanter (that was made of plastic) it all reminded me of school canteens of 25 years ago. I asked for cooked breakfast, it was not nice. I had one sip from the coffee and left it. As a whole the stay was not worth £140 a night + £30 for parking.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sea98
James A, Public Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Sea98,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience at Hotel Missoni. I am pleased that you were given a warm Missoni welcome by our polite and efficient front office team. It is however disappointing to learn that you were unhappy with the pillows in your room and that you found the armchair uncomfortable. I do hope that you were able to get in touch with our 24 hour Guest Services team to inform us of your discomfort, so that we were able to find a solution for you. We would never want anyone of our guests to feel uncomfortable at Hotel Missoni, in the slightest.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing experience at breakfast. I have made personal sure that your feedback has been passed onto our Restaurant Manager to follow up accordingly. It is never nice to be informed that we have fallen short of our guest’s expectation. Honestly, I do hope you were able to raise your issues during your stay. We would always want to be informed, immediately, if anyone of our guests were not 100% relaxed and comfortable, so that we can be given the opportunity to rectify the situation. If this was not the case during your stay, please feel free to get in touch with me anytime and I would be delighted to listen to your feedback in more detail. Thank you for your review and I hope to hear from you soon,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Just back from 2 nights in Missoni, & why would you stay anywhere else in Edinburgh. Fantastic location, short walk from Princes St, and Royal Mile, Grassmarket right adjacent.
The hotel standards are superb with ALL staff keen to please, with a smile & offer to help.
This trip saw us try the spa for the first time, and although small & compact in terms of space, the facilities were efficient but the facial & massage for my wife & I respectively were as good as anywhere we have experienced ...... Victoria promised a top rate massage & the only disappointment can when time was up ...boohoo! Fantastico Missoni!

3 Thank Stephen B
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Stephen B,

Wow! Thank you so much for your glowing 5 star review of your stay. We would be very pleased to welcome you back to Hotel Missoni anytime, please do get in touch with me and I can manage the reservation for you. It is great to read your feedback about Victoria. She represents everything that is postive about Hotel Missoni and we are delighted to have her as a member of our team; thank you for singling her out. I have made sure that Victoria has seen your feedback and has been commended for her fabulous 5 star service!