“Superb hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Superb hotel”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed here over the new year period but despite the hotel being extremely busy we had great service. As soon as we pulled up in a taxi our bags were taken care of and delivered to our room as soon as we had checked in. The room was spacious with bright modern colours, and as we were on an upper floor we had a great view of St Giles and Arthur's seat. The shower room was fantastic with twin sinks and nice toiletries.
Breakfast was good with the hot breakfast cooked to order which I much prefer to buffet breakfasts.
If we are in Edinburgh again we would definitely stay here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear HamishLondon,

Thank you for your fantastic review! I am delighted to read that you were given such a warm and friendly welcome by our team at Hotel Missoni. We understand the importance of a positive first impression and we work very hard to ensure that all our guests are made to feel at home and relaxed in their new surroundings. From your review is sounds like we got this spot on, which is fabulous. I have passed your feedback onto our team who have been congratulated. We look forward to welcoming you back to Missoni soon,

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Borders
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed one night in January. Nice welcome and no probs checking in. We were upgraded so i think we had the largest room type. It was a nice big room, warm and comfortable. Small TV for a big room. Tiny shower room for a big room. Nice products. iPod Dock, coffee machine, wifi.
Did not sleep well as noisy outside. Nice bed though.
Breakfast was a bit of a joke. Buffet style a bit like Premier Inn. Nothing out of the ordinary. I asked for scrambled eggs and bacon. The bacon was like it had been cooked for an hour and put into oven to keep warm. The eggs were ok. For the price and perceived prestige you expect a really good breakfast. It was extremely average.

2 Thank dog377
Dear dog377,

I am very sorry that you left Hotel Missoni feeling underwhelmed however I appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience. It is never nice to hear that we have not delivered on expectation and I have passed on your feedback surrounding your breakfast experience to our Restaurant Manager, who has addressed your comments head on with the team.
Once again, I write to ask, in hope, that you would not mind getting in touch with me so that I can apologise in person for not being able to deliver our usual 5 star service, on this occasion. Please feel free to give me a call when it is most convenient for you. Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Middlesbrough
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Not stayed in that area of Edinburgh before, we found the hotel easily arriving soaking wet and very early. We were greeted by a lovely guy on reception with no wait offered a choice of two rooms we chose the quieter room on floor 4 interior facing but still had view of the castle. The decor is fantastic all the general areas were clean and well turned out, the room was wonderful everything you would need hairdryer, toiletries of a high quality, large bottle of water, fresh milk in the fridge, lovely large dressing gowns and slippers. The room was quiet, staff were all lovely and ideal location. We didn't eat in the hotel plenty of cafes around and the National Museum of Scotland is 5 min walk away and is really great.

Room Tip: Higher floors would be quieter I think
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
James A, Front Office Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear janeehew,

I am delighted that we were able to recue you both from the rain and get you checked into the hotel early. If we have clean room available in the morning, we will always check our guests in so that they can maximize their time in our wonderful city. I am so pleased that you had such a fabulous all round stay with us, and a special thank you for mentioning our staff at Hotel Missoni. We all have such a passion for hospitality and our one goal is to ensure that our guests leave with fantastic lasting memories, itching to return. Please come see us again soon!

manchester
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on the 24th -26th jan as a suprise birthday trip and from start to finnish they couldnt do enough for us my partner booked a standard room but when we arrived they gave us a complimentry upgrade to a suite we then got stawberrys an white chocolate and a birthday card we booked a table at the cuisin restraunt and received a free glass of prosecco each. The food was delicous
Overall we could not think of a single thing we could fault and the staff were so friendly we will deffinatly recomend this hotel :)

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank blondebabs7
Dear blondebabs7,

Many happy returns once again. Thank you so much for your review and for choosing to share your celebrations with us at Hotel Missoni in Edinburgh. I was delighted to read that we in a position to be able to offer you an upgrade to a suite, to make the celebrations even more special for you. It would be great to welcome you back to Hotel Missoni any time in the future. I am happy to be your personal point of call should you wish to return. Thank you once again for your glowing review and I hope you had a safe journey home,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

On our way to a later dinner reservation nearby my wife and I decided to pop in to the lobby bar here in the hope of having some cocktails. We then proceeded to stand at the bar, with 6 staff behind it, and were completely ignored for 15 minutes. During this time I could only see two staff actually making cocktails: one guy spent the whole time tapping away at the till with a despairing look on his face, another stood around and attempted to 'look busy', two female members of staff wandered around moving glasses about, not really doing anything of worth. I attempted to make eye contact with the guy tapping away at the till, who briefly exchanged glances with me, before my wife tried 4 times to get his attention by shouting 'excuse me' in his general direction. The straw that broke the camel's back in this case was when a glamorous couple walked in, went straight up to the bar, and the till-tapping chap promptly dropped everything and fawned to their every command. At this point we had enough and left - we went to a nearby cocktail bar and had some great service within about a minute of arriving.

I have waited for 10 minutes, often more, for service during the festival in Edinburgh, but never in my 10 years of living here have I been completely ignored in a relatively quiet bar for 15 minutes without any staff even acknowledging my existence. To say that I will not be recommending this place is an understatement. The bar staff need sacking, the lot of them. An utter disgrace.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mephistophiles
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear mephistophiles,

I cannot apologise enough for your poor experience at Bar Missoni recently. To say that we are disappointed is an understatement; I read your feedback with sincere regret about the clear lack of service that you were greeted with. This lack of service and attention to detail certainly is not what we expect of our team, nor tolerate at Hotel Missoni. It is clear from your feedback that we have fallen well short of your expectations, however I would very much welcome and appreciate being given the opportunity to apologise in person for the damage that we have caused. We fully understand the importance of our local guests, which is why I hope to persuade you to, give up a small amount of your time, so that I can meet to discuss your feedback, with the hope that I might be able to restore your faith in Bar Missoni. Thank you for your valuable feedback and I look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon,

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Got a 'special' deal for one of the larger rooms but at the price of nearly £300 still I was expecting a high quality luxurious room...have to say I was very disappointed! The room was of standard size so goodness knows what the smaller rooms were like and the decor was quite cheap looking and also lots of marks on the paint work! On the good side you get a full free stocked mini bar (well at the cost of the room it really wasn't free so we made sure we raided it before we left to get some value) and the breakfast selection was very good! I think as everything from bedding to spoons originated from Italy and the location was very central, that's what you are paying for! Sad to say I won't be staying here again !

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank AndrewandMarie
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear AndrewandMarie,

Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were disappointment with the standard size of your room during your stay. We pride ourselves on being able to delight our guest’s day in, day out and deliver a high standard of unique 5 star service, however it is clear from your comments that on this occasion we have fallen short of expectation, which is disappointing. We take guest feedback extremely seriously at Hotel Missoni, which is why I would welcome, being given the opportunity to get in touch with you, to apologise in person, and hopefully to gain a greater understand of how we can continue to improve our service, but more importantly to restore your faith in Hotel Missoni. Please feel free to get in touch with me anytime on 0131 220 6666. I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

This was our second time staying at this hotel for my husband's birthday at the weekend. We really enjoyed it last year and decided to come back.

The location is great and the interior is really modern- that is our taste! Room was cosy and the dressing gowns and nice toiletries are a nice touch. I had told the hotel that it was my husband's birthday and they left a card and raspberry tart in the room for us- lovely!

We were in room 422 which overlooked George IV bridge. We were in a room on a lower floor last year which possibly had a better view because there is a lot if scaffolding across the road but that's not the hotel's fault.

All Staff were excellent- special mention to the guys on the door (sorry I didn't get your names!) and reception. And we love the bar- I am always a fan of pink prosecco on draft by the glass.

As we booked direct with the hotel we were offered upgrades. We opted to upgrade the room which we probably wouldn't do again as the room seemed much the same- still really nice though. Next time I would maybe go for the deals on dinner or spa treatment instead.

Really enjoyed our stay, it isn't cheap but you can get a good deal at this time of year!

Thank you all very much!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear TuggerBeans,

Thank you so much for your stunning feedback. I am delighted that your second stay with us at Hotel Missoni was just as successful as your first. Please do feel free to come back and stay with us again in the future, and make sure you get in touch with me personally, so that I can look after your reservation for you. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Missoni for a third time soon. I hope you had a safe journey home?