“In the heart of the city”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #27 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Spent three enjoyable days at the Hotel Missoni. It was to celebrate my retirement and my wife's birthday, so we splurged on a Maggiore room. It was very comfortable and had great views. Very impressed with the bathroom and walk-in shower. The breakfast was excellent, as it should be when you're paying 5-star prices. We ate at the Cucina restaurant one evening, also good.

A couple of minor irritations:

1. Apart from a couple of very small drawers and half a dozen coat hangers, there is nowhere to store your clothing. That's OK if you're staying for one night or don't mind living out of your suitcase, but we wanted to unpack our stuff.
2. An iPod connection is listed as one of the room features. But I couldn't figure out how it worked and had to phone Reception for assistance. Without going into the whole saga, I ended up speaking to six people before the problem was fixed (the following day). It took a while, but we got there in the end and we were able to spend a wet and windy Edinburgh afternoon in our nice room listening to Frank Sinatra crooning in the background.

Because of these two quibbles I swithered over whether to award a score of 4 or 5. But they were minor irritations and they didn't detract from our stay - so it's a 5. We enjoyed the Missoni Experience and have already recommended the hotel to friends.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom_53
James A, Front Office Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Tom_53

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us for your special occasion. I would like to take the opportunity once again to congratulate you both on your celebrations. It is great that we were able to share the experience with you. I am so pleased that you had such a positive time and will be recommending us in the future. I have taken careful note of your quibbles and will make personal sure that we follow up accordingly. We understand that in our 5 star environment the "devil is in the detail" which is why we always want to be informed of as much guest feedback as possible. Thank you so much for raising your points which will no doubt ensure we provide superior service in the future,

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I have visited Edinburgh and Hotel Missoni four times the last year. I am always pleased. The hotel is situated in the heart of Edinburgh, just 5 minutes to walk from the castle and 1 minute from The Royal Mile. Down to the railway station is it just 7-8 minutes, and add another couple of the minutes and you are in the middle of the shopping district of Princes street. The service has most of the time been excellent. The rooms are nice, and the beds fantastic. However, this last time they forgot my order during the breakfast and you can start to see a few (very smal) signs of decline in the building. It is no longer free minibar either. But all together, I am still loooking forward to visit this hotell every time I am going to Scotland.

Room Tip: Dont choose a room fronting the street in the front of the hotell. Not very noisy, but you can hear...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Fotballitalia,
Thank you very much for your 4 star review following your stay with us at Hotel Missoni and for choosing to return, it was great to see you again! It is however a shame that we were not able to get everything right. I am sorry that your breakfast order went missing and that you felt the building needed a few touches. I have passed your feedback onto our management team so that we can continue to make improvements. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hope to impress you enough for you to award us the 5 star next time,

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Got a good bargain booking 90 days in advance, had a fantastic stay. Couldn't fault anything. Location excellent as was service, cocktail bar and restaurant. Would definitely recommend, only thing didn't do was try breakfast

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear K H,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our advanced purchase rate. This rate offers guests a chance to book and pre pay 90 days in advance and the savings on some days can be significant. However please note that the rate is non refundable and is a non flexible booking which means that no changes can be after the booking has been made, you have to be 100% sure that you are able to come on the requested date. Please do come and visit again soon,

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed in Missoni this weekend, sadly only for 1 night. Was far and away the nicest, friendliest and most luxurious hotel we have ever stayed in.
The minute we arrived, someone took our soaking wet bags and we left to explore the city (visit the pub!). Returning we were welcomed by a lovely guy on reception who told us all about Breakfast options etc, was really friendly, wished us a happy anniversary and arranged for our bags to be brought straight up to the room.
The room.....what can I say? Amazing views of the city and the castle - really loved the floor to ceiling window. Bathrobes, slippers as well as a complimentary raspberry tart to celebrate our anniversary! Felt very spoilt.
The whole hotel is fabulously designed, bright colours and distinctive Missoni patterns gave the place a feeling of real luxury.
The staff couldn't have been friendlier, we had a small blip with charging for the movies on our tv but one quick call and the receptionist sorted this out within minutes. I left a phone charger in our room and this is already on its way back to us - so professional and accomodating!

Sadly we didn't have time to drink in the bar or eat in the restaurant but we'll definitely make time on our next visit as it looked really cool.

Given that it's more expensive than other hotels I stayed in I was worried it wouldn't live up to expectations and feel worth the money...but it surpassed them! We'll definitely be back, hopefully for more than one night next time!

Room Tip: 407 had great view of castle from the bed!

Dear feldy1981,

Thank you so much for your very kind review following your stay with us at Hotel Missoni. We would be delighted to welcome you back in the future. Please feel free to get in touch with me personally when you want to book and I will make sure that I manage the reservation for you. Maybe next time you might want to eat with us in Cucina and enjoy some of our cocktails made by the coolest bar tenders in the City,

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed here over the new year period but despite the hotel being extremely busy we had great service. As soon as we pulled up in a taxi our bags were taken care of and delivered to our room as soon as we had checked in. The room was spacious with bright modern colours, and as we were on an upper floor we had a great view of St Giles and Arthur's seat. The shower room was fantastic with twin sinks and nice toiletries.
Breakfast was good with the hot breakfast cooked to order which I much prefer to buffet breakfasts.
If we are in Edinburgh again we would definitely stay here.

Dear HamishLondon,

Thank you for your fantastic review! I am delighted to read that you were given such a warm and friendly welcome by our team at Hotel Missoni. We understand the importance of a positive first impression and we work very hard to ensure that all our guests are made to feel at home and relaxed in their new surroundings. From your review is sounds like we got this spot on, which is fabulous. I have passed your feedback onto our team who have been congratulated. We look forward to welcoming you back to Missoni soon,

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed one night in January. Nice welcome and no probs checking in. We were upgraded so i think we had the largest room type. It was a nice big room, warm and comfortable. Small TV for a big room. Tiny shower room for a big room. Nice products. iPod Dock, coffee machine, wifi.
Did not sleep well as noisy outside. Nice bed though.
Breakfast was a bit of a joke. Buffet style a bit like Premier Inn. Nothing out of the ordinary. I asked for scrambled eggs and bacon. The bacon was like it had been cooked for an hour and put into oven to keep warm. The eggs were ok. For the price and perceived prestige you expect a really good breakfast. It was extremely average.

2  Thank dog377

Dear dog377,

I am very sorry that you left Hotel Missoni feeling underwhelmed however I appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience. It is never nice to hear that we have not delivered on expectation and I have passed on your feedback surrounding your breakfast experience to our Restaurant Manager, who has addressed your comments head on with the team.
Once again, I write to ask, in hope, that you would not mind getting in touch with me so that I can apologise in person for not being able to deliver our usual 5 star service, on this occasion. Please feel free to give me a call when it is most convenient for you. Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Not stayed in that area of Edinburgh before, we found the hotel easily arriving soaking wet and very early. We were greeted by a lovely guy on reception with no wait offered a choice of two rooms we chose the quieter room on floor 4 interior facing but still had view of the castle. The decor is fantastic all the general areas were clean and well turned out, the room was wonderful everything you would need hairdryer, toiletries of a high quality, large bottle of water, fresh milk in the fridge, lovely large dressing gowns and slippers. The room was quiet, staff were all lovely and ideal location. We didn't eat in the hotel plenty of cafes around and the National Museum of Scotland is 5 min walk away and is really great.

Room Tip: Higher floors would be quieter I think
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
James A, Front Office Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear janeehew,

I am delighted that we were able to recue you both from the rain and get you checked into the hotel early. If we have clean room available in the morning, we will always check our guests in so that they can maximize their time in our wonderful city. I am so pleased that you had such a fabulous all round stay with us, and a special thank you for mentioning our staff at Hotel Missoni. We all have such a passion for hospitality and our one goal is to ensure that our guests leave with fantastic lasting memories, itching to return. Please come see us again soon!