“Afternoon Tea” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

So disappointed with my visit. I had been looking forward to visiting the Missoni for months and had been thinking of having my wedding reception there so decided to try the Afternoon Tea first. This visit definately changed my mind. We walked into the hotel and were faced with the bar (I still dont know where the reception is!). We had a table behind the bar and I faced a tv screen showing catwalk models. If I'm there to have a treat I dont think its a great idea to show skinny models on constant replay! The prosecco was from a tap at the bar so was flat by the time it arrived at the table. I had a hot chocolate which tasted fine but for a 5 star I had hoped for a little cream or something more creative than just powdered hot chocolate in a cup. When the stands arrived containing the afternoon tea my party looked at each other as if to say is that it! The 'sandwiches' were 3 small slices each of a french bagette with 3 different toppings. One of which was some sort of goats cheese foam that was flavourless and another included greated chedder - not very 5 star. My friend stated she didnt like goats cheese when we ordered so they took it off and gave her a slice of bread with some cucumber instead, nothing else. The scones were the best part of the tea but even then we had to pass around a small pot of cream between 6 of us. We also didnt receive any strawberries and were kicked off our table after a couple of hours (even though we had ordered more cocktails/drinks). I cant believe the shocking offering and even the cocktails were disappointing after the tea. I feel let down by this venue as had high hopes and will definately not be going again as there are lots of other fab hotels/restaurants around the city centre.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Amanda M
James A, Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Amanda M,
Many thanks for taking time to give us your feedback on your Afternoon Tea experience at Hotel Missoni. Firstly let me apologise that you were put off by our Autumn/Winter catwalk show. Our seasonal Afternoon Tea is inspired by the Missoni clothing range, and whilst I can honestly say that this is the first time I have experienced negative feedback regarding the show, it is certainly something that we shall take into consideration moving forward.
We pride ourselves on offering a bespoke service to all of our guests, including altering any of our sandwiches; though on this occasion we have clearly let ourselves down by offering you the same sandwich simply without the goats’ cheese mousse instead of a more appropriate alternative. I can assure you that this is something that I am working with our head chef to resolve.

Unfortunately I was not aware of your issues on the day, and so have not been able to touch base with you sooner. As I said, we do appreciate all feedback, positive and negative, and shall certainly act on the points you have raised to improve the Afternoon Tea experience for our guests going forward. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the points you have raised, and am available on 0131 220 6666.

Matthew Wakeford, Bar Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Wishaw, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Just returned from a one night stay in this hotel which I booked as part of a birthday present for my boyfriend.
Hotel was fantastic, have not a bad word to say about it at all!
Rooms were spacious, very clean, modern and decorated to a high standard!
The shower in the room was a personal favourite, a spacious rain effect shower!
All the amenities were very fancy, and a decent size which you don't often get in hotel rooms.
The nespresso coffee machine was complimentary and a nice selection of teas also.

The bed was very comfortable and a good size, great night sleep.
Location is perfect for anyone hoping to stay here, directly on the Royal mile with a short walk to Waverley train station & a stones throw away from the castle.

We stayed as part of the bed & breakfast package. Which meant access to the buffet as well as a choice of a hot made to order dish. The buffet had a nice choice of pastries/ Italian cakes/ cereals, juices/ cheeses & yoghurts. And for fresh dishes they also had a wide variety including full scottish breakfasts, omelettes, etc. etc. Tea & coffee as well as toast could be ordered fresh.

The service was exceptional also, we were greeted at the entrance to the hotel by Aidan & Salvador who offered to take our bags & checked us in. We then went for a walk around Edinburgh & when we returned our luggage was awaiting us in our room. The great service really made our stay great!

Overall I would thoroughly recommend this hotel & well worth the extra few £'s.

Room Tip: High level room gets a great view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Dear Nicole F,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us, and other tripadvisor readers, of your experience in Edinburgh. On behalf of everyone at Hotel Missoni I would, one again, like to wish your boyfriend a very happy birthday. I am so pleased that you both had such a fabulous stay in Edinburgh. We really are so fortunate to apply our trade in such a fantastic city. Please do feel free to get in touch with me directly if you wish to stay with us again. I hope you had a safe journey home,

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a wonderful stay at the Missoni Hotel in Edinburgh. The location is fantastic for exploring Edinburgh, but the best part is the hotel's attention to detail.

This very modern hotel situated on the Royal mile was perfect for our weekend break and James and his colleagues couldn't have made us feel more welcome. We stayed in one of the hotels fantastic suites, which we liked do much, we ordered dinner in from the restaurant instead of going out. Great views over the city and a very spacious room designed so well with plenty added extras.

A nice breakfast before a midday checkout topped of a great stay and this is certainly one of the best city hotels I've experienced.

Dear Happy Gilmour,

Thank you so much for your very kind review following your stay with us and for your personal mention. I am so pleased that we were all able to provide such fabulous service for you in Edinburgh. Please do not forget about us, spread the Missoni word and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future,

Kind regards
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed an overnight stay in the hotel on a B&B basis for our weekend in Edinburgh. The room was superb, service excellent, cocktail bar 5* and location perfect for enjoying the Old Town.
The hotel's design is unique and so cheerfully colourful, you can't help feeling happy here! All amenities in room are of a very high standard and the view from our room was beautiful.
We enjoyed cocktails in the lobby bar and would rate the drinks the service and the ambience five star.
The only slight complaint we had was that breakfast was not good. We queued for 25 minutes standing to enter the dining room, then had a difficult experience trying to have a breakfast with no crockery and several empty platters on the buffet table. Staff seemed unaware of the need to replenish platters etc at the buffet table. The cooked breakfast consisted of a very minimal plate of items, excluding bacon which we did find rather strange.
However when my partner brought up these issues with Duty Management they were dealt with immediately and considerately with a full refund for breakfast. Excellent service again.
We would most certainly return to Missoni for further stays & cocktails and would simply select the 'room only' option next time.

1 Thank Sonia M
Dear Sonia M,

We are truly happy that you felt happy staying with us at Hotel Missoni. It is very encouraging to read that you had a good stay with us and that you were able to sample all that we had to offer. It is a great shame however that we were not able to get everything right. I am very sorry that you had such a long wait for breakfast. We really appreciate your feedback and have since reviewed our seating area in Cucina. Thank you for bringing this to our attention which will no doubt ensure we provide superior service in the future. If you would like to book again with us please do touch base with me directly and I can manage the reservation for you personally,
Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights in a junior suite and both loved this hotel. Staff were super friendly and helpful. Atmosphere was so chilled out and the look of the hotel was really modern. The location is as good as it gets really, 10 mins from train station, 10 mins from the castle and right on the famous Royal Mile. Room service was delicious too. We're already looking forward to coming back.

1 Thank LeeAndLinsey
Dear leelarandlinslar,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review. We are all so delighted that you had such a positive experience at Hotel Missoni and that you were able to sample one of our suites on the top floor of the hotel.

Book a junior suite at our rack rate and enjoy the most stunning panoramic views of Edinburgh including a complementary mini bar, free movies, 2 items of laundry per day, WIFI, a chauffeur to and from Edinburgh Airport, access to an IPAD or IPOD touch (to utilise our unique hotel app) and exemplary 5 star service along the way.

Do not miss out, book with us direct to get the best deals!

Bangor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

This is our second stay at the Edinburgh Missoni and in all respects it was a double of our first visit. Rooms where spotless, the staff pleasant, helpful and most obliging. Breakfast (included) was up to the highest standards as was the service, I had booked last August, and despite the withdrawal of the free mini bar being included in the price, the hotel where quite happy to honour my original terms and conditions. In particular I would like to mention Ann on reception who went that little extra to make our stay most enjoyable - she went to the trouble of presenting my wife with a Happy Birthday wish along with a little treat. On our day of departure she downloaded our boarding passes for our return flight to Belfast. All in all an excellent ambassador for the hotel.

This was our second visit ....... looking forward to the third!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear jayjayteeBangor,

Wow! Thank you so much for your fabulous review and for choosing to return to Hotel Missoni for a second time, it was great to welcome you home! I have passed on your very kind feedback to Ann who is delighted that she had been singled out. I would be more than happy to be your personal point of call for any future reservations you wish to make, please do get in touch with me directly,

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

stayed here for one night as a birthday present for my girlfriend. very cool room. loved the shower. i'm not a posh person so was slightly gutted here was no "buffet breakfast" as in bacon eggs etc. we got to chose an option from a menu. there was a buffet but it was cereal, yogurt that kind of thing. stay away from the cocktail bar, the drinks were extortionate and tasted like petrol. cool room but apart from that not much else that makes it a five star hotel. will try somewhere else next time. trendy is not my thing. girlfriend loved it tho, and she wasn't as upset about the "buffet"

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jez G
Dear Jez G

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted you chose to stay with us for your girlfriend's birthday and that you had a successful stay. I am, however, sorry that you were not informed that a cooked breakfast can be served to order from our kitchen. I have, of course, ensured that your feedback has been passed onto our Restaurant Manager so corrective retraining can take place. I hope you had a safe journey home?