“Comfortable, stylish, central, friendly”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #29 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Very happy with a recent 3 night stay in the Missoni. Very stylish set up and we found it extremely comfortable with friendly and proactive staff. Its got a good Italian restaurant if you are feeling lazy but is in a superb position to explore the Old Town and its sundry attraqctions. Would be awesome during the festival but cannot imagine you would get the very reasonable rates we got in Feb. Recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lewis_Ma_48
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Lewis_Ma_48, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel and have taken the time to share it with us! We aim to provide excellent and friendly service consistently in every department and your comments will be definitively shared with the whole team. The hotel really is located in the prime spot in Edinburgh and whether you are here to catch up with friends and family or on a business trip, there are plenty of things to do and see in the vicinity of the hotel. We hope to see you again, perhaps in August as it is such an amazing time to visit Edinburgh with so many things going on. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can help you with. Best regards, Henna Kapulainen Assistant Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 27 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Missoni and it was amazing.

From the moment we came in through the doors to the moment we left.

Amazing food, great service - I dont know why people whine so much in previous comments there crazy - the location is amazing and also the spa treatments where to die for!!

.My partner and I loved our treatments.

Room was lovely and clean and had everything we needed.

Excellent location!!

We will be back thank you Hotel Missoni :)))

Room Tip: suits are amazing - all rooms are faB1
1  Thank VictoriaW1

Dear VictoriaW1, Thank you so much for your fantastic comments; it is always great to receive positive feedback! I am pleased to hear that you and your boyfriend tried our lovely Spa Missoni as well, its treatments truly are a treat and you feel well rested afterwards. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in not too distant future and please get in touch with me directly if there is anything I can assist you with. Have a lovely start of March! Kind regards, Henna Kapulainen, Assistant Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in Saturday for the night with my boyfriend after getting a great deal. The service was brilliant and so friendly the minute we stepped through the door. The rooms were amazing and very comfortable. I would also recommend the restaurant cucina attached to the hotel - the food was delicious!!!! Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Kate S,

Thank you so much! I am so pleased you had such a fabulous stay with your boyfriend and that you had a chance to eat in our award winning Italian Restaurant Cucina. We cannot wait to welcome you back to Hotel Missoni soon, please let me know when you will be returning and we will all be delighted to look after you once again!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I would like to pass on my experience after staying in your hotel on Saturday the 23.02.2014 after being relocated from the Radison Blu due to over capacity issues (despite our advanced booking)

Both my partner and I had come to Edinburgh to celebrate a very special evening and understandably where quite disheartened after being told the Radison had no room for us on our arrival... However we were informed we had been booked in with yourselves at the Missoni.

Our stay from start to finish was exemplary, even down to the finest levels of detail. Can you please pass on our extreme thanks and gratitude to ALL of your professional and attentive staff who continually went above and beyond to accommodate our stay with a first class service and a smile (a true credit to the hotel)

Our stay was very special for us both indeed and I firmly believe 90% of hotels can learn allot from your example.

A truly memorable stay and experience for us both.

Thank you.

1  Thank Haines-Andy
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Mr and Mrs Haines,

Thank you so much for your kind comments once again. We really enjoyed your unexpected visit to Hotel Missoni and I am delighted that you felt so welcome and at home staying with us. I have personally passed on your feedback to the team who are truly grateful.

Please feel free to get in touch with me when you are next planning a trip to Edinburgh and I will be delighted to look after you both once again,

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Spent the weekend in edinburgh and wanted something a little different. This was in a great location just off the hight street, close to Royal mile. Handy for Grassmarket bars and restaurants. Parking is a pain so book in advance and drop off with valet at the door. if they are fully booked they have arrangement with closeby hotel. Thought room was lovely - full length windows looking over Edinburgh. Great to have what I call proper coffee available - Nespresso machine plus selection of capsules. Watch though with the half bottle of wine which is sitting out beside the water - we were in a Superior room so thought this was part of the perks - mistaken! Was sent a quite abrupt letter on the subject but in fairness when we spoke to the hotel directly they were very apologetic and offered upgrade for next time. Cocktail bar busy and pretty vibrant. Great selection of cocktails but can take ages to get served because of the time to make the cocktails! Would recommend!

Dear LindasScotland,

Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased that you were able to make use of our valet parking service. For the benefit of other Tripadvisor users, we have a few secure and cctv'd parking spaces underneath the hotel and run the service at £35 per night. Our kilted doormen will help guests into the hotel with their bags and swiftly whisk cars away to be safely parked until it is required again.

Please accept my apologies for the confusion with the minibar items in your room however I am pleased that we were able to speak to you directly about the matter. It is great that you will be recommending us to others. Thank you once again for your kind comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Missoni soon,

Reviewed 23 February 2014

on arrival we were greeted warmly and with a smile by the charming doorman Aiden, once through the door that,s as good as it gets, it was the most unattentive, unfriendly stays i have ever experienced in any hotel, the rooms are certainly immaculate bright colourful and very chic, but the whole hotel lacks atmosphere in the bar & restaurant. Which leads me to the restaurant, table
booked for 8.30 pm 45mins before we got some bread & oil i presume this was to break the boredom 9.30 starter came with luke warm soup which i left. 10.15 with no sign of main course and not 1 person coming to our table we got up and left this was supposed to be a birthday treat. We adjourned to the bar plotting a carryout pizza, when Andy the bar manager offered some room service thinking it was better than nothing how wrong we were burger and french fries smoke salmon sandwiches needles to say our total consumption was a portion of french fries between us disgusting. obviously deciding not to go near the restaurant for breakfast as the check out was 12.0 am we opted for breakfast in bed,then the fun started, how to order breakfast, first phone reception ask for menu which will be a sheet of paper slid under your door
then write on paper what you want, tear a hole in paper hang on door and hope for the best. At checkout the duty Manager did her best to apologize, adjusted our bill accordingly and offered a free upgrade on our next visit, next visit there wont be one even if it was free, this was a special birthday visit ruined. P.S. THERE WAS EIGHT PEOPLE IN THE RESTAURANT.

2  Thank wdrain
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear wdrain,

Please accept my sincere and profuse apologies for the issues you faced whilst staying with us in Edinburgh. To say that we are disappointed is an understatement; we have not delivered on our usual friendly, professional and unique 5 star service that we have become known for in Edinburgh. I would really appreciate the opportunity to speak to you on the phone so I can pass on my apologies to you once again. This is certainly not how we want to be remembered and not the memories that we know that we can deliver. I look forward to speaking to you soon with the hope that I may be able to address each of your points, as we should have done during your stay. I am contactable on 0131 220 6666,

Reviewed 23 February 2014

The pros: one of the most stylish hotels we've enjoyed anywhere in the world. Friendly staff. An excellent location off the Royal Mile, within easy walking distance of Princes Street and Edinburgh Castle. Clean and comfortable.

The cons:
• Our key cards failed on the second day and had to be renewed at Reception. The same happened to a couple sharing our lift who had only just checked in. The lifts themselves are card-operated so the problem will hopefully be immediately apparent – unless, of course, you're riding with others and don't discover the problem until you've reached your room.

• The room lights are key-operated: admirable insofar as it means you can't inadvertently leave them on, but possibly baffling to older visitors as you have to work it out for yourselves.

• We arrived after 10pm to discover that the only vegetarian option available via room service was houmous with crudités. While this is forgivable given the lateness of the hour, it was disappointing to discover that the breakfast menu has no cooked vegetarian option and the buffet table has no soya milk or yoghurt. The breakfast room itself is somewhat soulless compared to other communal areas in the hotel.

• The television – at an unhelpful angle to the bed in our corner room – is far too clever for its own good. Working through the options and viewing menus is extremely laborious, and the remote (on which the "off" button is unmarked, meaning we had to call Reception to ask how to turn the damn thing off) has a mind of its own: it kept turning the TV on, so I eventually gave up and unplugged it. (This might explain why the TV was on when we first entered the room.)

• The coffee machine in the room baffled my customarily very practical spouse, even after we again contacted Reception to enquire how to turn it on (the user guide mentions the power button on the front but not a concealed one on the back that has to be turned on first). The gentlemen on Reception who checked us out said they receive calls "every morning" asking how to operate these contraptions – a ridiculous state of affairs.

• The mini-bar selection was underwhelming and included a chocolate bar that looked like it had been sat on.

• Had we stayed longer than a weekend, and thus had more clothes with us, the lack of hanging space may have been an issue.

• Having been assured at check-in that the pay-TV films and programmes were free with our package, they were included on our final bill. They were removed without argument, but ought not to have appeared in the first place.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay – but, for the money we spent, expected a more luxurious and niggle-free experience. For that reason, we will stay elsewhere on our next visit to Edinburgh.

Dear BMacDLondon,

Thank you very much for your detailed review following your staying with us in Edinburgh. Whilst I am pleased that you enjoyed the style of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff, it is disappointing that your stay was not as seamless and enjoyable as we know it should have been. Needless to say, I have already passed on your comments to our management team who are committed to ensuring that each point raised is addressed carefully so that we can continue to provide the very best for our guests.

It is a great shame that you experienced maintenance issues with your key cards, television and your coffee machine in your room for which I apologise profusely. I appreciate how frustrating it must have been for you, so since your feedback we have ensured that this has been thoroughly checked in your allocated room so that the same does not occur for our future guests.

Thank you once again for your sincere feedback. We would be delighted to welcome you back to Hotel Missoni anytime in the future and I am sure that we will be able to make up for not getting it 100% right on your first stay with us. Please feel free to get in touch with me directly if you have any further feedback or if you would like to book again,