“Missoni is Marvelous!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Missoni is Marvelous!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Just spent 2 nights here on a deal we found on the British Airways website. We are a married couple in our 50s who live in London, and this was our first trip to Scotland. The Missoni is marvelous in every way!

From check-in to check-out, the staff were efficient and friendly. Our room on the 5th floor (an upgrade, much appreciated - thank you!) had a fantastic view, and was immaculately clean. We did not eat at the restaurant for dinner, but our deal included breakfast, and we loved it - service was excellent and the food selection and quality was brilliant.The location of the hotel is perfect - we walked everywhere we wanted/needed to go and saw a lot of Edinburgh thanks to the great location.

If you want a great hotel in a great location with great service, the Missoni is the Edinburgh hotel you should book. We will definitely recommend Missoni to everyone, and if we're ever back in Edinburgh, would have no hesitation in staying there again.

Room Tip: 507 has a corner window with a FABULOUS view over Edinburgh (see my photograph)
1 Thank TLDenise
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear TealnLondon,

Thank you for your amazing review! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your Missoni experience here in Edinburgh! The location of the hotel is indeed excellent and it gives you a very good starting point to explore the beautiful city. We hope to see you again at Hotel Missoni, summer for example is also a great time of the year to visit Edinburgh, with so many festivals and events going on. Have a lovely spring!

With best wishes
Assistant Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Lincoln
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My friend and I spent two nights this week at the Hotel and our experience was perfect. It is in an ideal location being just feet away from the Royal Mile and an easy walk from Princes Street. From start to finish the service was spot on; starting with the charming kilted man who opened our taxi door on arrival and carried in our cases to the charming kilted man who saw us out the door at the end of the stay. The hotel is stylishly decorated in the Missoni signature colours and design, also replicated in the staff uniforms and the whole experience is wonderful.

When we arrived, we discovered we had been given an upgrade to a Grandioso room, which was amazing. It was a great size, with good wardrobe space with enough hangers. There was a smart sitting area with a setee and armchair and a fantastic bathroom with a huge walk in shower, more like a wet room. The beds were very comfy and we loved the turn down service. The room also had a complimentary Nespresso machine and a large flat screen TV. Something I also loved were the large mirrors, often lacking in hotel rooms. Our room was located on the 1st floor of accomodation on the front corner of the hotel and we felt it was quiet and did not notice much noise; this was a Monday and Tuesday night.

We were impressed when we booked into the hotel to be personally shown up to our room by Ann who was on reception, she was very welcoming and so enthusiastic about the services the hotel has to offer, even filling the Nespresso machine and showing us how to work it.

We ate breakfast on two days, what a treat! The cold spread laid out for self service was varied and interesting and catered for all tastes. We had the cooked ' full scottish' on both days all delicious with really good quality ingredients. Nothing was too much trouble- I requested tomato juice, not on the menu, no problem.The woman on the next table ordered porridge, changed her mind and wanted pancakes so they brought her both. All of the breakfast staff were friendly and helpful, for particular mention was Pasquale, who did most of the serving at our table and was very helpful and charming.

We ate in Cucina, the hotel's dining room on our second night, we had a delicious meal. The menu was exciting and varied and the each course was cooked to perfection and again served by helpful and polite staff, for whom nothing was too much trouble. Our waitress that night was Elaria (hope I have spelt this right), she was so lovely and helped to make our meal such a success. When there was a small glitch with my coffee order, she was very apologetic and gave us some complimentary sweets to make up.

Throughout our stay, we punctuated all our activities with stop offs in the hotel bar. The cocktails are amazing, with lots on offer. The bar staff are reflective of the whole service ethos of the hotel and are happy to spend time helping you to select the right drink, supplimenting them with big jars of nuts and complimentary italian custard filled doughnuts. Many of the cocktails have been designed by the bar staff and they show genuine pride in talking you through them.

I know I have written a book here, there is so much more I could write such is my enthusiasm about the hotel. In summary, it is not cheap but I think it is very good value and you get so much for the money you pay. Would I recommend the Missoni to others; without a doubt and we will not now stay anywhere else on our annual trip to Edinburgh.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sharon K
Dear Sharon K,

I am very happy to hear that you loved your stay with us at Hotel Missoni! Thank you also mentioning especially Ann, Pasquale and Elaria, I will make sure that they will receive your kind comments. I hope that you will be returning to the hotel and to Edinburgh soon, please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with!

With best wishes
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Just returned from Edinburgh after booking a Travel Zoo deal to this hotel for my birthday and what a treat it was. Definitely different to other hotels, particularly for the helpful staff attitude - a case of yes, no problem, we will everything we can to help you. As a tour manager I rarely see such willingness and proactive behaviour at this level so big 5* tick from me. The rooms were colourful and trendy with just about everything you might need with plenty of space. Lovely products to try in the bathroom, a coffee machine, several different types of tea, big bed, free Wi-Fi and plenty of towels. If you book the hotel car parking (£35) you can park for a long as you need, no restrictions, so we did not have to dash back after checking out. The hotel was in a good location for sightseeing. Breakfast was good, we had a full cooked and fruit/yoghurt from the buffet although we also noticed they didn't clear pots away very well. You will be impressed with the hotel overall, we were.

1 Thank Denor2014
Dear Denor2014,

Thank you for your amazing comments and taking the time to share your experience with everyone! I am delighted to hear that you had excellent stay with us at Hotel Missoni. We hope to see you soon at the hotel again! With kind regards,

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and had one of the best hotel experiences ever. I am from Edinburgh originally and have a good knowledge of other hotels locally but this surpasses them all! I think the staff were among the most Friendly/ Efficient I have ever come across. and always had a welcoming smile. The location could not be better, yes this can lead to associated street noise but if this bothers you just ask for a quieter room on check-in. Breakfast was plentiful and varied with a great choice of hot options. Our room was beautifully appointed with all and more than we could ask for. We received an upgrade which is a very welcome bonus. The bar is a great place to enjoy a wide range of drinks which can sometimes make it difficult to leave due to the great atmosphere. Afternoon tea with prosecco is a must! I did not have the opportunity to sample dinner but that will be on my to do list for next time. Finally I have to mention 'Dan the Man' on reception/check-in who would without doubt receive our certificate of excellence for his welcome, kindness, banter and Aussie charm ***** :)!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard at the back may not have the view but are much quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Annieevans
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Annieevans,

Thank you so much for your kind review following your stay. Hotel Missoni is situated in the heart of the city and like all city centre hotels we do have to deal with a certain level of street noise, however I am really pleased to read that you would encourage guests to call prior to arrival or let us know on check in of any rooms preferences they may have. This is music to my ears! We have a 24rs hour Guest Services team dedicated to getting to know as much information as possible about our guests before, during and after their visit to our fabulous hotel. We do our very best to meet all guest requests so if there is anything that would make our guests more comfortable and relaxed during their time with us we would want to be informed!

Thank you again for singling out “Dan the Man” who works at the Front Desk. He is a real asset to the hotel and personifies all that is great about Hotel Missoni. I have made sure that your feedback has been circulated, which will no doubt ensure we strive for even greater things in the future. You are very welcome back anytime and we look forward to your return.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Brill hotel. Great location for us. Always love staying close to the Mile and Grassmarket area. This was perfect.
Rooms were bright, spacious, lovely bathroom. Good facilities available
Staff could not have been nicer. So chatty and helpful.
Hotel bar do brilliant cocktails, reasonably priced.
I cannot wait to go back and will recommend to others.

1 Thank jc1102
Dear jc1102,

Thank you for your fabulous review. I am delighted that you have mentioned the location of Hotel Missoni. There really is no other hotel better situated, right in the heart of Edinburgh’s Old Town, only a stone throw away from major sites and attractions, which is why we are such a popular choice for guests travelling to our wonderful city. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back soon,

Florianopolis, SC
Reviewed 16 April 2014

One of the best hotels i´ve ever stayed. The location is perfect. The staff was incredible. They´re were always trying to help, so friendly. Breakfast delicious, go for the eggs benedict. The room is really beautiful and confortable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maikel D
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Maikel D,

What a delight to read your review! Thank you so much for your kind feedback. Please do not forget about us; spread the Missoni word and we look forward to welcoming you back with friends and family next time,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

First visit to Missoni and wont be the last.

The only issue I had was with the restaurant staff, we ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel and on both occasions the staff werent attentive and their attitude towards us was quite off. I cant fault the food as it was delicious and the variety and selection was outstanding.

The room was spotless and view from the 4th floor over Edinburgh was spectacular.

Dont let the restaurant staff put you off going to the Missoni. Its well worth a stay and highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Foodlover392,

Thank you so much for your review. I am very pleased to ready that it won’t be your last stay with us in Edinburgh. I would however like the opportunity to speak to you directly regarding your feedback concerning Cucina. I am truly sorry that you felt the service wasn’t as attentive as it should have been. I hope to reassure you on the telephone that this certainly is not our normal standard so please feel free to contact me on 0131 220 6666 to discuss your comments in more detail. I look forward to speaking to you soon.