“Great hotel - great location”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #28 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Just checked in to the G&V. The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful, especially Mark who made dinner reservations for us. Very clean and modern rooms with every amenity. The location is steps from the Royal Mile very near the castle. Lots of shops and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: May 2014
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Mcbnmsp,

Thank you for your brief but fabulous review following your stay with us in our beautiful city. I am pleased to read that you were so well looked after by our team at Missoni especially from our Doorman, Mark, I shall make sure he is commended for his friendly and professional 5 star service. Please do come and visit us again soon,

There are newer reviews for G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed here in May for 3 nights.It delivered on all aspects.
Staff were attentative and pleasant to deal with. Agree about the pillows needing to be firmer other than that we had no real issues at all.
A definite recommend from us

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear Mike1759,

Thank you so much for your stunning review! I am delighted to read that you had a fabulous stay with us at G&V. Please do get in touch when you are next in Edinburgh and I will ensure that we arrange the firmer pillows for you. We hope to welcome you back to our wonderful city in the future,

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

The Missoni (as the G&V used to be called) was one of mine and a number of my colleagues' favourite hotels in Edinburgh. It was unique, boutique and had a huge range of little extras which made a big difference compared to other hotels in Edinburgh.

Although the hotel retains it's quirky decor, tasty (if expensive) food and great location, I am sad to see it lose some of the factors that made it such a personal experience for us when we stayed.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear spannavision,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read that you think the hotel has changed so much since our renaming from Hotel Missoni to G&V. Our management company, the feel of the hotel and most importantly the staff at the hotel are still exactly the same. G&V will still remain a modern luxury hotel in our wonderful city centre and I am sure will continue to build on the 5 year of success that Missoni brought to Edinburgh. I urge anyone at all who has any questions about our rebrand to get in touch with me personally and I am sure that I will be able to reassure you,

I hope to meet you again soon,

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I was recently invited for a one night stay at the G & V hotel (I had been looking for the Missoni - name apparently changed earlier in the month). For some reason I had some difficulties to find it but when I finally came upon it I was happy to leave the keys of my car to the valet and rush to the meeting I was speaking at. Only later did I start to appreciate the unusually modern decor around the place. I checked in late afternoon and I was soon installed in my Queen sized room overlooking the street. The bed was large and comfortable and all the fittings were modern, functional and appeared relatively new. I loved the wierd designer flat screen telly. Unfortunately I never got the nespresso machine to work - it never seemed to heat up to the correct temperature. I appreciated the safe in the room and the free WiFi. The shower was ultra modern with an intriguing bluish lighting system around the rainforest type of shower head in the ceiling.
Breakfast the next morning was excellent - a buffet + choice of cooked items brought to your table. I had to have the full Scottish breakfast with black pudding of course and some proper breakfast tea prepared & served correctly in a teapot.
Service was excellent. All staff were attentive, friendly and even seemed to be enjoying themselves which was automatically infectious. Even though most of the lads wore kilts with unusual designs I didn't hear many Scottish accents. The Italian, Spanish & Eastern European accents seemed to dominate.
The reason I didn't rate this hotel as excellent was the price. I was a fortunate guest with my bill being fully paid by my host. I couldn't help notingg, however that the prices were hefty. The cost of valet parking of the car alone was "impressive". So the motto is - a great hotel just as long as someone else is paying...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Eyekaytoo,

Thank you so much for your review and for your kind comments about the services and staff at G&V Hotel. I am very pleased that we were able to look after you so well, especially by our doorman who are a real asset to the hotel, and personify all that is great about G&V. Please do feel free to get in touch with me personally for the best rates and deals on your next trip to Edinburgh. I hope to see you soon,

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Overall very good & what you'd expect from a high end hotel, although there's no genuine boutique element to it - it's just a good modern hotel. Try not to stay on the corner of George IV & Royal Mile like i did simply because the bloke outside with the bagpipes starts early and it's not a great way to wake up after a big night out.....

nice touches with the coffee maker in the room, sweets at reception & the free wifi

one annoying thing was the telly/radio - very limited choice e.g. no BBC Radio 6. And the pillows have no umph - just feathers and no support.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear John W,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at G&V Hotel. I would be very happy to update your profile notes in our system with the preferences you mentioned in your review so we can be ready for your next visit should you wish to stay with us again however I am struggling to identify your reservation from your tripadvisor user name. Please feel free to get in touch with me personally at any time and I will make the necessary amendments. We do have different types of pillows at G&V, I am sorry if we did not mention this to you whilst you were with us.

We look forwards to welcoming you back soon,

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed at the hotel - for dinner, bed and breakfast recently. Warm welcome from staff on arrival, in particular Mark on the door and Dan on reception. We had a suite on the 5th floor and the room and view were amazing. The bathroom was to die for. It was so quiet and you wouldn't think you were in the middle of the city. We were booked for treatments in the Spa - absolute luxury and would highly recommend a visit if you are planning to stay. Dinner in Cucina was superb and the staff couldn't have been more professional. We retired to the bar to experience their cocktails, staying later than planned as the cocktails were so good and the staff so friendly.Thank you to Federica for her amazing chilli cocktail. Late night meant missing breakfast the next morning which was our loss as we had been told breakfast was excellent. Decided to stay for lunch in Cucina as we had missed breakfast (we also stayed for dinner again before leaving!) as the food had been so good the night before. Different staff attended and they too were so professional, in particular Andrei the restaurant manager. The G&V is a vibrant hotel, in a wonderful location and definitely worthy of its 5* rating.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Susan R,

I am so pleased that you were able to stay in one of our 5th floor suite rooms at G&V. You are right; our suites support some of the best room features in Edinburgh with the most stunning views of the city. Thank you for your kind comments about the staff at our wonderful hotel especially about Federica. She is a fantastic member of our team at G&V and I will make personal sure that she is commended for her continued commitment and fabulous 5 star service. Please come back and see us again soon,

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Just returned from a 6 day leisure trip with a friend, loved the room decor, very cheerful colors! The view was great, a delight to wake up to every mornng. Reception staff very helpful and run out of their way to help you. The shower was awesome!
Not enough storage in room, no drawers.
Breakfast was OK, but nothing special, no bread at the buffet, just toast if u ask for it.
If you are with children and intend to do lots of shopping its better to book a hotel closer to Princes street, cos although its just 10 min walk, it includes LOTS of stairs!
Im not sure it deserves the 5 stars, i would say its a good 4 stars hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floor facing princes street
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Basma A,

Thank you so much for your review. I am very pleased to read that you were so well looked after by our team at G&V Edinburgh. We hope to welcome you back in the future with the hope that we will be able to “wow” you enough to award us that elusive 5th star next time.