“Fantastic Hotel in the heart of Edinburgh”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #30 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel in the heart of Edinburgh”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This trendy hotel with its fantastic colours was a great place to stay. Its location is ideal for sightseeing and the range of cocktails in the lobby cocktail bar was exceptional. The food in the Italian restaurant was good quality and not too pricey for a Capital city.
The 'Bonnie' room we stayed in was well fitted and the bed was the best we have slept in (and we have stayed in 100's of hotels across the World!).
Staff were pleasant and we would definitely recommend to others.

Room Tip: The room overlooking the Royal Mile was good
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear angiev246, I am delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay with us at G&V Hotel and that you enjoyed the cocktails and the food at the hotel! Please get in touch with me directly if you are planning on coming back to the hotel in the future! With kind regards, Henna Kapulainen Assistant Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stopped here for my 21st birthday, I've never been to Edniburgh and it is a city I have always wanted to visit.

Upon arrival the staff were very accommodating, little things like taking our bags were really good. We also got a full room tour and told the best places to go around the city.

The facilities were perfect, nothing that I could point out to be a problem.

Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear S-K-Barnsley, Thank you for your fantastic review! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your 21st birthday. Hopefully you will be back in Edinburgh soon and we will see you at hotel again! With kind regards, Henna Kapulainen Assistant Guest Services Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Hotel location was perfect for us. Very nice welcome. Room not quite ready so we went wandering for a few hours. When we came back we we given the keys to a great room where we found a lovely fruit tart and a 'happy anniversary card' from the hotel. Very good breakfast. The staff in the cocktail bar knew their stuff and were good fun. Very pleasant stay.

1 Thank AFJ2013
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear AFJ2013,

I would like to thank you for your excellent review! I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay celebrating your anniversary with us. I am also happy to hear you enjoyed the breakfast and the cocktails in our bar. We hope to see you again at G&V Hotel!

With best wishes,
Hayden Lake, ID
Reviewed 21 June 2014

On our return to Edinburgh at the end of our trip, we selected this hotel in the heart of Edinburgh. It was a modern building in the middle of a UNESCO site of very old buildings, but somehow it was retrofitted in very nicely. Even though it's no longer a Missoni hotel, the Missoni design touches are everywhere, and very pleasant indeed. The actually room was not large, but the bathroom was! Thus I was able to move a small suitcase into the bathroom. And we were on a three week trip so we had large bags with us. We enjoyed the Delonghi coffee maker that used Nespresso coffee, which is good. Needless to say there were dozens and dozens of restaurants and attractions within walking distance. Holyrood Palace was an easy and interesting walk, as was the walk (in the rain) to the Museum of Modern Art.
Some might not enjoy the fact that it was on a very very busy corner! A bagpiper played all through the daylight hours across the street. Also it seemed that every night revelers were up until all hours on the street below, making noise. Edinburgh is a fun-loving city!!
The breakfast was not included, but was 15 pounds extra, which is way too much breakfast for us. Thus we discovered the Elephant House one block away, where JK Rowling wrote her first Harry Potter book. The staff were extraordinarily friendly and helpful and we enjoyed all their restaurant recommendations.
All in all, a definite repeater.

Room Tip: Try to get a quiet room perhaps on an upper floor. Edinburgh is noisy late at night! Who knew?!?
Dear MM3939,

Thank you for your amazing review on you recent stay with us! The location of the hotel really is ideal regardless of the purpose of the visit in Edinburgh. The city is very lively and fun, there are so many things to do and see just on the hotel’s door step. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed all our restaurant recommendations! I hope to see you again soon at the hotel and in Edinburgh.

With kind regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

When i booked this hotel for a stay in May, It was called the Missoni. Unfortunately, no one informed me of the name change, so it was a bit disconcerting to find that the only hotel was the G & V at the address I had on my GPS. An email would have been nice to mention this, as I had made my booking months in advance.
When I tried to park in front of the hotel, there was no parking as the bay was filled with cabs, and no doorman (he was the only doorman on duty and was off delivering luggage as well - poor guy - Mark is a legend, so tip him well!!!)
After the search for the place, the frustration of having to drive off again and call up to have someone meet me outside to Valet-park the car and help us unload, I probably wasn't in the best of moods. Not an auspicious start. Enter Mark the doorman - my hero. He had everything calmed and sorted in no time)
I finally go to check in and this is done very courteously, despite the fact my bank had had a security attack on it and stopped all of its credit cards, worldwide and I had to spend 30 minutes on the phone to them to find out what was wrong. (travel Tip # 17 - NEVER travel with all your credit cards from the same bank!) Lucky I had another from a diff bank!
Finally, up to our suite to relax.
Now the good stuff - the suite was on the 5th floor with a lovely view out as far as the Firth. Very clean and well furnished, still with the funky Missoni decor.
Beds were really comfortable with lovely crisp sheets. Lots of thick towels in the bathroom and really nice grapefruit scented soap. (Most hotels have icky soap)
The mini bar was well stocked and is complimentary. (a nice change from paying 4 pounds for a diet coke like other 5-star hotels) It's also refilled daily,
Room service was quick and actually arrived hot, The meals were also quite good.
Breakfast was interesting. We often breakfasted in our room, but on the morning we did go downstairs to eat in the restaurant, we were confronted by a waitress who asked us quite rudely what we wanted - this was before we were even seated. She then demanded to know if we were staying at the hotel, as breakfast was for hotel guests only.
Once we mentioned our suite number, she decided to be more polite.
This is a bit of a disjointed review, because our stay was a bit that way. We were here for a week, but we liked the room and had no complaints about the hotel in general.
The hotel itself is just a little disjointed too. Maybe the sudden name change, but the whole vibe is just a tiny bit out of step, as if it hasn't quite found its new identity yet. The staff are all trying very hard to please everyone, but I think a little more organisational structure might make it a little easier to cope with.
Don't get me wrong, we liked the place and would stay there again when we return to Edinburgh
It's in a great spot and the staff really do try very hard to make your stay a pleasure. I just think it needs a little more polish to bring it right up to scratch.
Regardless, it was a fun stay and the bar is a nice place to catch up with friends. I'd definitely give it another go : ))

Room Tip: The suites are awesome.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear wanderingbear,

I would like to thank you for all your comments and for sharing it with everyone. I am sorry to hear that our doorman wasn’t there to greet you straight away but I am very pleased to hear that Mark was on hand very shortly afterwards. He certainly is a great asset to the hotel and I will make sure he receives your kind comments. I am sorry to hear that the initial service at breakfast wasn’t up to standard. Please, let me assure you that we believe every guest should be treated with the same warmth, friendliness and great service. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your suite, the views truly are magnificent! Next time when you are planning on coming to Edinburgh, please let me know and I am more than happy to help you with everything!

With kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is the second time we stayed at the g&v. our previous visit it was called missoni. i m italian and my wife loves missoni so...

not missoni anymore now.guess recession looms in my poor country as well as here but all was left as last time we visited. all missoni signed.

great location, very helpful staff. ok breakfast. pity every time we come to edinburgh the restaurant la cucina is fully booked by a wedding so i cannot comment on the food.

ok bathroom and shower. very good products in it.

terrible tv though, same as missoni had.no way to tilte it or turn it.

ok wi-fi.

at breakfast staff should talk less. i know it's an italian trait, most are, but please shut up!

at booking level i remember asking specifically for a quite room far from service doors and lifts. we got room 115, next to two service doors, not one.

regardless of the location, next to one of the noisiest roads in edinburgh, it was quiet.

peace and silence were unfortunately broken early in the morning by slamming of doors and the dragging of hoovers by the cleaning staff. this will have to be changed.

my feeling is the staff is so young and i am afraid not trained that making noises is the least of their worries. personally, this is the only grievance i could have on the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for quietest rooms, top floors. make sure staff does not start cleaning before dawn!!
1 Thank Enrico S
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

After deciding on a last minute trip to edinburgh i managed to book this for 2 nights , friday and saturday . it was my first stay so impressions do count , on arrival the check in was quick and helpful and was told we had been upgraded to a better room . after taking the lift up to the 3rd floor we found our room , if this was an upgrade then i would be amazed , a small room in my opinion and the finish was poor , blue paint on the ceiling above the bathroom which was noticable , a part of the wallpaper had also been damaged and should have been replaced or touched up.
The curtains didn't touch the floor (also had hanging issues where hooks had been removed ) so light flooded into the room from the early hours , rugs that were slippy and annoying , we too were woken by the thud of hoovers by the cleaners up against the walls which i could have done without . (i will add that an extra pillow was requested at reception and i had to phone down an hour later after no sign of it )
I have stayed in many hotels in edinburgh in the last year ( over 6 ) and would have this pegged at a maximum 3 stars , for the life of me i cannot understand how this has 5 bar the location .
Next time for approx 550 pounds i will choose more carefully .

Room Tip: if they tell you that your room has been upgraded , ask to see your original room !
2 Thank chris r