“Great staff.. Very expensive!”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #25 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel over the weekend. The room is clean and comfortable. Friendly staff. I didn't like the location, as its far from princess street( the street where most of the fashion stores and big brands, cafes and resturants are located).

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Farah83
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Farah83,

Thank you very much for your comments following your stay, especially about the staff here at G&V. We are very fortunate to have such driven, enthusiastic team members who care passionately about delivering quality 5 star service.

I am sorry that you had difficulty with the location of the hotel. We are only a stones throw away from all that Edinburgh has to offer, right in the heart of the Old Town. Princes Street is only a short walk from the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon,

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,953)

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My boyfriend took me here as a 21st birthday present!!
The hotel (Missoni at the time) was really modern and exciting!
The room was lovely, was looking out over the royal mile, during the day it was really loud but quietened down on the evening! The room was pretty spacious for our one night stay in a standard room! The bed was massive and the Bathroom was amazing! The TV in the room was great and the room service was really quick and prompt!

The only thing for me which let it down was the service at breakfast! It seemed very disorganised and confusing, there was the buffet and also a menu and nobody came over to greet us to explain what was included in what we'd already paid for and even when we asked it wasn't clear. In the end when we got a cooked breakfast it really wasn't worth the wait, very sparse and average and it wasn't that busy!

But the reception staff and bar staff were really helpful and attentive, recommending places for us to visit during our stay we were even allowed to check in early as we'd arrived early!
Also as it was my birthday alongside the champagne my boyfriend had already ordered they sent a small cake and card which was a really nice personal touch!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
James A, Front Office Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear tlee93,

Thank you for your comments following your stay with us in Edinburgh. Whilst I am pleased to read that overall you had a pleasant experience at G&V, I am disappointed that we were unable to get everything 100% correct. Please accept my apologies for the issues you faced at breakfast. Needless to say I have passed on your feedback to our Restaurant Manager to ensure that corrective training takes place immediately.

If you have any further feedback please do not hesitate to get back in touch with me personally. I hope to welcome you back to G&V in future, maybe for your boyfriends birthday next time…?

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here many times when the hotel was The Missoni and I was interested to see what had changed - the answer was 'not a lot' but it is early days. The staff continue to very attentive and the food is excellent. My room this time was in the old part of the building overlooking the Royal Mile - it was a beautiful room and very spacious. Downside was that there was no air conditioning in this room so I had to open the old fashioned sash windows. There was a bit if noise from the street below. Location is brilliant - would definitely recommend.

Stayed: June 2014
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear johnnyfromtheblock,

Thank you so much for your stunning review. I am so pleased that you were so well looked after by our wonderful team at G&V. Please do not forget about us, feel free to get back in touch if you are ever planning a return to Edinburgh. We would be delighted to welcome you back anytime.

Have a fabulous summer!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I was debating whether to make this a 3 or a 4, so call it a 3.5. The location is excellent, less than a block off the Royal Mile. The decor strives to be avant garde; in 15 years people will look back at and think "How could they do that?" The rooms are small with minimal storage. Mirrors are used extensively to give the illusion of more space. Most of the amenities are there, but the use of space reminds me of a ship's cabin. It is impossible, for instance, to have the closet and the refrigerator open simultaneously. There is no iron in the room because there is no space for an ironing board.

That said, there are definite positives. Although the "king sized" bed is still two twins clamped together, there is a memory foam pillow top that makes it very comfortable. The bathroom has a combination overhead and hand held shower at is the best we've had in the UK. This is also the only hotel we stayed at this trip that is air conditioned. Breakfast is included in the room rate and has an excellent selection of Continental options and hot food made to order.

This is a good hotel, but the glitz doesn't cover the fact that the rooms are far too small.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott M

Dear Scott M,

Thank you for your valuable review and for your great comments about the location of the hotel. I am sorry to read that you were not happy with the size of your bedroom. I am sure that had we been aware of your thoughts during your stay we might have been able to find an alternative.
I am pleased to read that you were happy with the memory foam mattress and that you liked the shower in the room. I do hope your experience has not put you off coming back in the future, we would be delighted to welcome you back to G&V, anytime, please feel free to get in touch with me personally if you are planning a trip,

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Went through BA Executive Club for a flight/hotel deal and this hotel cam through as the best. Stayed three nights [Room 126] to celebrate our wedding anniversary and it was a perfect choice. The hotel is situated in a prime location near to the Royal Mile and the castle and many of the restaurants and amenities that do the city proud. Simple flight from Heathrow and use of the tram system made travel very easy.
Reception staff were excellent on arrival and in sorting out favoured restaurants etc and even though we overlooked the main street, we had no sense of the traffic or any noise, even when the Queen visited the town and castle during our stay! Bar staff and breakfast staff were polite, unobtrusive and friendly. The decor is of course 'different' but I loved its quirkiness and the cocktail had a busy atmosphere to it for a late night drink each night. Everything was in easy walking distance [Arthur's Seat well worth the walk] and it all made for a great stay. Many thanks

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank j4c4h4d4
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear ChippingNortonJonnie, Thank you for your amazing review and sharing it with all of us! I am so pleased to her that you found your whole travel hassle free and enjoyable from start to finish. I will make sure to pass on your kind comments to all of our staff and we hope you will be back at the hotel soon! With kind regards, Henna Kapulainen Assistant Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This hotel is in a great location but in my opinion is far over priced for what you get. The rooms are very worn and have a used feel to them, and there was this bizarre smell (alot like cat urine) in the bathroom that was so irritating that we had to keep the bathroom door shut the entire stay.

The bed was very comfy though, and having a nespresso machine in the room was a definite plus for us! The staff is super friendly and helpful and the food from Cucina was great. Also the bar downstairs was lively in the evenings.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Priscilla R

Dear Priscilla R, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your feedback with us. I am disappointed to hear we haven’t been able to meet your expectations on your recent stay at G&V Hotel. Please let me assure you that we take all the comments very seriously and both maintenance and housekeeping have been notified about the issues in the bathroom and the maintenace issues in the room. I am glad to hear that you found the staff friendly and helpful and I hope that you will come back and stay with us again. If you are planning to come back, may ask you to contact me directly on henna.kapulainen@gandvhotel.com and I will make sure you will be well looked after. With kind regards, Henna Kapulainen Assistant Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel is in a great location. The staff were very helpful and friendly.
The breakfast was excellent with an excellent selection of hot and cold food along with fruit and fresh juices.
I had specifically asked for a quiet room but unfortunately it was a room looking out onto the busy Royal Mile.
I would stay here again but would ask for a quieter room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear cilliant, Thank you for your review, I am happy to hear that you found your overall stay enjoyable. I am, however, disappointed to hear that you hadn’t been allocated the requested room in a quieter location of the hotel. We always try our very best to fulfil our guests’ requests to the best of our ability and I am sorry to hear that on this occasion this wasn’t the case. I hope you will stay with us again, and I will make sure that you will be well looked after. With kind regards, Henna Kapulainen Assistant Guest Services Manager