“Good Location But Not Value for Money”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #25 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Dont get me wrong this is a very good hotel but for £300 a night per room you expect something special. The location is great on the George IV bridge and the decor is a bit mad. The rooms are comfortable but small and you can just imagine this hotel becoming very tired very quickly. The staff were very good an no complaints there. The food was expensive and without taste which was surprising. Would I go there again with or without children probably not at those prices.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
JanineGuestServices, Guest Services Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2009

Dear Johnny,
Thanks for your positive comments about the staff and location of the hotel. I'm glad you liked Hotel Missoni. Sorry you felt we were a bit overpriced. Everything is quite expensive in Edinburgh in August with the festival being on! I hope that otherwise people think we are good value for money.Let me know if you are in Edinburgh again and I will make sure you get a good deal.
Kind regards
Janine Gelston
Guest Services Manager
janine.gelston@hotelmissoni.com
0131 220 6666

Write a ReviewReviews (2,950)

Reviewed 24 August 2009

I looked for ages to find a hotel that was not £300 a night for two nights in fesetival season. I was booking in June I think. Even the Travelodge places were over £100 but I was determined....After all, last year we had camped and we froze! And nearly drowned. So...
I stumbled upon this place. The website was pretty rubbish - and overly pretentious- so I rang the hotel directly. The lady was very helpful. Her only error was to say that the price quoted would be the lowest I'd find. It wasn't.
Anyway, we turned up at the hotel very late and very tired last Friday.
The hotel is AMAZING! And in a top location.
It was more of an experience than a hotel stay.
Little touches are nice - a biscuit by the bed; a card on the night before check-out, warning us it would be busy tomorrow due to an expected mass exodus (I paraphrase!).
The breakfast is wonderful and just the right price. Any more, and we'd have gone elsewhere but we were provided with tasty treats and a luxury splurge - it's rare you're BOTH made breakfast in bed isn't it?
My only grumbles? There are two,
1) You are required to produce a credit card for swiping on check-in. Not unusual. I don't have a credit card, just a Visa Debit or a Maestro. In that case, they take £100 from your account PER NIGHT of your stay for 'incidentals'. Flamin' big incidents!
Not good. £200 was taken. £176 later re-imbursed.
2) I was lucky as much as £176 was re-imbursed. They got the bill wrong on check-out - it was nearly double what it should have been.
Overall, I kept remarking how much I loved the hotel, the bed, the view etc. and would love to stay again. As long as prices don't go beserk.
Oh, and the bar was a bit loud and 'beautiful peopley' for us, but if that's your bag, you'll love it. It was a little intimidating perhaps.
Didn't even know there was a restaurant lurking behing the loudness and beautiful folk until I read the other reviews on here!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank CBH78

Hi CBH78
Thanks for saying our hotel is amazing! I love that you say it was "an experience rather than a hotel stay". I agree with you that it's the little things that make all the difference. We try our best with little touches and without sounding like too much of a cliche, we do try to make the experience memorable for people (for the right reasons!). Thanks for saying you enjoyed your experience.
Sorry you were accidently given the wrong bill on check out! I'm glad it was noticed and got sorted out for you.
With regards to credit cards, I don't have one either :-) I'll try to explain: Normally on check in we take a pre-authorisation (just a guarantee) on the card, and basically this confirms that the cardholder has secure funds to pay for their stay and any extras. Unfortunately with debit cards it doesn't allow you do this, so we have to take payment upfront. Whereas some hotels just go ahead and charge your card, we always explain on check in. If ever a card is charged, the guest is there and always gets a copy of the receipt at the time. (Sorry to ramble, I hope this explanation makes sense!)
Anyway, thanks again for your review. I appreciate the feedback. Don't be afraid to get in touch if you're coming back!
Kind regards

Reviewed 17 August 2009

Reviewed 14 August 2009

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank geoff09
JanineGuestServices, Guest Services Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2009

Reviewed 14 August 2009

1  Thank skywaitress2000
JanineGuestServices, Guest Services Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2009

Reviewed 10 August 2009

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
JanineGuestServices, Guest Services Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2009