“Pretty near perfect”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Birmingham
“Pretty near perfect”
Reviewed 16 November 2009

My husband booked a trip to Edinburgh for the weekend and knows I am notoriously difficult to please. He pulled an absolute blinder with this one - This hotel is just as good as the pictures, it's stylish but not pompous, it's efficient but still friendly and it's a real treat for those that want a getaway weekend in the best location, just off the Royal Mile.
On arrival our bags were whisked away up to our room before we'd filled in the reservation card, check-in was seconds and up to our room on the 4th floor. Dazzling carpets in the hallways, real wood floors in the rooms themselves, the room was bigger than I expected mainly through good design and use of space. Like all the other reviews I will mention the free mini bar with a couple of beers, soft drinks and fresh milk, the great coffee machine, herbal teas, bathrobes, lovely softly scented toiletries, slippers, hairdryer, B&O TV, pad and pen, perfect lighting, free movies, free internet, rain shower & soft bedding. Niggles: no normal tea in the room - not everyone wants cinnamon and orange, our TV turned itself back on both nights in the middle of the night - v.strange, can't open the windows - no fresh air, no extra pillows in the room - didn't realise we needed them until 1am (most hotels would put them above the wardrobe), woken by staff on Sunday morning being noisy in the corridor, movie pause only lasts 15 mins - don't watch half the movie before going out and assume you can watch the rest when you get back like we did! Like I said though, niggles.

The rest of the hotel: We ate in the hotel restaurant the first evening, I have a yeast intolerance and they were very accommodating in swapping around the menu options I could eat, service was good, food was good but I wouldn't say mind-blowing. It would have been perfect for lunch but there are better restaurants for an evening meal (all that said it was full and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves). After the reviews of breakfast we skipped this in favour of local cafes and a lie in! Reception staff were super efficient and friendly, housekeeping were quick as you like in delivering the afore mentioned pillows and an iron. The bar is stylish, well trained staff serving what looked like amazing cocktails. Niggles - the bar is popular with visitors and can be difficult to find a seat, would have been good to be given priority as we were hotel guests, no relaxing lounge in the hotel for hotel guests to chill out and sip tea whilst reading the Sunday papers.
On Saturday evening we ate at the grainstore - literally around the corner from the hotel, my husband booked it 2 months ago and its never good when the waiting staff ask you if it could have been booked in another name then say don’t worry we can fit you in like they were doing us a favour! Food was good, I had the best venison I have ever tasted, again the chef was super accommodating with my yeast intolerance and created a superb sauce just for me, portions aren’t huge but if you're having 3 courses it is enough to leave you feeling pleasantly satisfied. On Sunday we fell across tiger lily which I have read about on trip advisor and were able to sit and read the papers over a cup of tea and a fantastic dessert. We'd already had lunch but wish we hadn’t as the restaurant looked amazing if you want a full meal but there were lots of people enjoying afternoon teas with cake stands presenting small sandwiches and cakes - at 4pm the place was full so if you do want to eat here I would definitely book ahead.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
North-West
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Having read mixed reviews on here before staying last weekend, I was a tiny bit apprehensive. However, it does seem to depend on your expectations beforehand and how much you pay for the room - with whichever deal you may get...

I'm no expert on 5 star hotels but to begin with - the hotel's location is perfect. Situated on the corner of the Royal Mile and George IV bridge opposite Deacon Brodie's pub and in easy walking distance of Waverley train station, Princes Street, the castle and heaps more.

On arriving at reception we were met by a very friendly lady who checked us in (well before the stated time) quickly. Although I turned the offer down, we were also offered assistance with our luggage to our room. I don't do lifts - but my wife tells me the lift was very easy to use and pretty speedy. Key cards are used to operate the lifts as well as entering the room and for lighting - this seems pretty standard these days. There are stairs opposite the lift for claustrophobics like me!

The room (on the 3rd floor) was just how I'd expected it to be. It was clean (as you'd expect being a relatively new hotel), spacious and very modern. The bed in our room was huge and incredibly comfortable. There were a couple of stylish chairs in the room as well.

The free mini bar contained a few soft drinks, some water, milk and a couple of bottles of Peroni. The only gripe with this - there was only one bag of crisps when there were two people in the room? Possibly me being ungrateful/greedy?

The room also comes complete with a multi-use, stylish, Bang & Olufsen TV, which was easy to use - although watch you don't drop the remote control on your foot because it weighs a tonne! The free movies (some recently released) proved to be very useful on a rainy Sunday.

The iPod instructions were a little disappointing - having asked at reception I found that you need a lead to plug into the wall. Again the receptionist was very helpful. It worked perfectly in conjunction with the TV once I'd hooked it up.

I did manage to connect to the free internet connection with ease and made full use of this. I did recall you could also connect your laptop up to the multi-functional TV but I didn't try this.

The bathroom felt slightly impersonal as the sliding door didn't really feel like you had "escaped" the main room - if you know what I mean! Being married, it's warts-and-all but this may be uncomfortable for some. Other than that, the bathroom is great and the walk-in-shower great for simplicity.

Aside from the number of great things internally the hotel has to offer, the location is definitely the biggest deal-clincher. We visit Edinburgh every year and have never stayed in the same hotel twice - but we probably will return here next year!

1 Thank Mancunian_Devil
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 31 October 2009

I booked the Hotel Missoni because of the hype surrounding the fashion house’s first foray into the hotel industry. Although I’m pleased I finally was able to spend a few nights there, I think it needs to make some improvements and work out the kinks to lure me back.

The hotel’s location is fantastic in that it’s right off the Royal Mile. It’s simply a non-descript building that used to be an office block; I would have had a hard time finding it without the cabbie’s knowledge. My first impression was that there was no one to help with luggage upon arrival. Upon entering the building, the comfy bar immediately faces you and reception is off to the left. Check-in was easy enough, although the hotel doesn’t accept Diners Club. This was a surprise since I had used my DC card to reserve on their very own website. To add insult to injury, one of the receptionists commented that “not every establishment has to accept Diners, ya know.” Duh, I know that, but why did they not mention that on their website? No biggie: I used my Visa. But that trite comment earned the staff a strike for bad form.

The hotel room was pleasant enough. As advertised, there were some vibrant colors mingling with the black and white zigzags. There was a Nespresso coffee maker and a free mini-bar with water and Peroni beer. The bed was comfy, there were plenty of pillows, and the work area was laid out in a practical manner. The internet connection was free: I chose wired over wireless. The bathroom, however, was a bit disappointing. First, there was no door on the shower, which meant that water splashed onto the floor. The water pressure also wasn’t very invigorating. The bathrobes were incredibly faded for being so young and simply looked unattractive. (Yes, I expected a plush psychedelic Turkish robe in the Missoni style in which to lounge about.) The toiletries are lightly scented and nothing special, although understatement was presumably intended according to in-room propaganda. It took me a couple nights to find my bath-sized towels, which were well hidden under the wash basin. The Guest Services directory was not all too informative and my big pet peeve was the nonexistence of a notepad and pen in the room. I’ve never stayed in any hotel without such provisions and it proved inconvenient when I needed to jot down some notes immediately upon arrival.

The restaurant – Cucina – was very cozy and the service impeccable. Too bad this impression didn’t extend to the breakfast experience! I was greatly disappointed by the lack of selection: there were hardly any different sorts of bread (although there was plenty of cake), juice that wasn’t freshly squeezed, muesli not served wet, and the fact that egg and meat dishes were offered at a surcharge. So although breakfast was included in my room rate, I opted to eat at a fantastic little café down the street each morning. The hotel really ought to upgrade this area because I would stay at the Scotsman, Glasshouse, Howard or Balmoral in the future simply because they know how to serve a proper Scottish breakfast! Of course, I wouldn’t expect an Italian-inspired hotel to carry through completely on the whole mega-breakfast routine of which the Brits are fond; however, the Spartan offering at this hotel is not in line with a five-star hotel anywhere in Italy.

I’m not sure whether I would stay at the Missoni again. It probably couldn’t ever expect to live up to the hype. It’s not überfunky, didn’t really feel sexy, and service still has gaps. On the other hand, I would definitely eat at Cucina again and visit the stylish bar. But if you’re looking for true luxury in the Scottish capital, I’d recommend trying one of the other properties I listed in the paragraph above until Missoni gets its act straightened out.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
JanineGuestServices, Guest Services Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 11 November 2009
Dear Mr "VonderHogl"

Thanks for your review. We are really trying our best to make improvements, so thank you for your detailed feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issue with your Diners card. As discussed, you had a valid point asking why we didn't take it, and the reason given should not have been "some places don't!". I am really sorry for any offence caused. As promised, I have discussed it with the receptionist and with our accounts department, and I am pleased to say that we now accept Diners :-)

Sorry you weren't impressed with the Missoni bathrobes in black and white. We actually ran out of them at one point because so many people have been asking to buy them, but we bought some more and some multi-coloured ones too! Thank you for the suggestion - I must admit, the coloured ones look great!

Our breakfast buffet has changed slightly too, to offer more of a selection. I hope that if you come back you'll notice the difference - not just in the breakfast selection but in the other little touches! We want to offer the best possible guest experience, so hopefully by working on the small things we can do it.

Sorry you couldn't find the bath towels or a pad and pen! (For the benefit of other readers, if anyone ever needs anything/help at the hotel, please just ask - that is what we're here for! You can contact reception by dialling zero or call guest services directly on 3557)

Thank you again for your time and your comments. We'd love to have you back with us sometime. If you come back to Edinburgh please get in touch.

Take care,
Best regards
Janine
janine.gelston@hotelmissoni.com
elgin
Reviewed 29 October 2009

arrived on the friday aftrenoon and was met at the reception by the very helpfull staff . went up tothe room bathroom was magic. the bed was the most comfy bed i have ever slept on . the bar staff were very helpfull and the cocktails were magic . breakfasts were very good aswell . a very enjoyable weekend can,t wait to go back soon

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Nice location, modern and trendy hotel, great staff. what else?

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 19 October 2009

We stayed at the Missoni hotel for the weekend to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. I can honestly say from the moment we arrived to the moment we left we do not have a bad word to say about the place.
I had emailed the guest services manager (Janine) prior to arriving to ask for a bottle of champagne in the room on arrival. This was done, along with a great handwritten note in Italian (my wife is Italian) welcoming us to Edinburgh and wishing us a fantastic anniversary. If this wasn't enough, we received a knock at the door and a cake arrived on a plate with happy anniversary written on it in chocolate - a really nice touch.
I have to say that the communication must be great in this hotel, because even that evening as we arrived to eat in the hotel restaurant we were greeted by the staff wishing us a happy anniversary and a glass of champagne. The restaurant manager even came over to congratulate us. All in all we were treated like royalty all weekend by the staff in the hotel.
As the for hotel itself you cannot fault it. We stayed in a Maggiore King room on the 4th floor. The room was larger than I expected and the bed was huge and super comfy. The decor was immaculate with a stunning bathroom. Yes there was no bath, but the shower was easily big enough for three people (and no we didn't try!!!).
The other great thing was the fact the great coffee and the mini bar was free as was wireless internet. It makes such a difference if you want a bottle of water during the night and you can just help yourself from the mini bar without worrying how much you will get stung for it the next day.
We had a couple of drinks in the extremely cool cocktail bar, which had a real good vibe all weekend, followed by dinner in the restaurant. The meal was perfectly cooked with great service, and 3 courses plus a £50 bottle of wine came to £120 inc tip - good value for the quality of the food.
On the Saturday night, for a real treat we ate in another restaurant called 21212 on Royal Terrace. If you are in Edinburgh and want to have a dining experience like no other then you must book to go here. Expensive, but surely on the way to 2 Michelin starsI
As for the location, you are a couple of minutes from the castle and right in the middle of the old town. nowhere is too far away, and we bought a pass for the tourist open top buses, all of which stop right next to the hotel anyway.
All in all we thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our stay here at the Missoni, and would find it difficult to stay anywhere else next time. We must extend our thanks to the staff at the Missoni for making everything perfect for us, and especially Janine for responding to our emails and ensuring that we were treated so well. Having that kind of personal attention when in a hotel makes a massive difference - well done.

Newark, Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 14 October 2009

Very smart hotel in an excellent position off the Royal Mile. Lovely bright room, well-equipped and great attention to detail. Loved the coffee machine and fresh milk in the minibar. But the best thing about the hotel is the excellent service and the polite and charming staff, both front of house and in the restaurant. Nothing was too much trouble. Will stay here every time in future!