“Hotel Missoni - Fabulous, Sexy and Slick.”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #34 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
N.Ireland
“Hotel Missoni - Fabulous, Sexy and Slick.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

I just thought I would write a quick review for the superb Hotel Missoni Experience that myself and my friends enjoyed (4-6 DEC 2009)
I expected the hotel to look fantastic – which of course it did – but I was impressed by the cleanliness and attention to detail.
Above all the Staff employed could not have been any more professional, helpful and attentive.

The “Missoni Kilted” welcome on the door was a genius idea for our arrival to the fusion Missoni /Scotland experience.
Check in and all dealings with Reception were thorough and painless!

The hotel service was sexy and slick. All food great with fantastic presentation with such attention to detail – from the bar lunch ,quick coffee or service at breakfast -

I travel a lot and stay in many hotels and the rooms catered to every detail – even including kettle alongside “Nespresso” machine – brilliant
I cannot praise you high enough for the “Hotel Missoni” experience.

I have a true passion for the brand and understand the importance of keeping this brand exclusive and luxury. I am so delighted see how well you have achieved this and think I will make it my goal to travel to each of the Hotel Missoni projects and continue to enjoy the experience in a different location!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2009

I honestly have no idea why this hotel is not rated as one of the top 5 places to stay in Edinburgh. We stayed for only 2 nights in the beginning of November and I'd highly recommend staying here. Yes is it a tad more expensive than other places but you already know that when you are booking. So I'd also rate it on all the other things you would look for in a hotel like cleanliness, service, location and value. It exceeded our expectations in all of these - great location on the Royal Mile, outstanding service, extremely clean and great value and quality. If there was anything you wanted, the conceirge was just a phone call away. I phoned ahead after we booked and the guy on night duty (can't remember his name) was excellent - I asked if he could arrange for an early checkin since we were arriving at noon which he said was no problem and also to make sure that we had a double/queen bed. Checkin was a breeze and the front desk staff were excellent. The rooms are not huge but we loved the big rain shower, the wood floors (much cleaner than carpet!), the free mini bar and movies and the bright modern feel with the missoni colors everywhere. For a boutique hotel I'd say the price is cheaper than you'd find in any other major city in the world. The bar and restaurant seem to be the place to be on a Saturday night. After an extremely rainy Sunday, we didn't feel like going back out to find a place to eat so we had a few cocktails at the bar and then asked the maitre d in the restaurant upstairs if we could order food and have it served in the bar downstairs since we were already comfortable there. Since they weren't that busy he said it was no problem at all. All in all, an excellent stay!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2009

We stayed in December. Hotel is in the pefect location. Loved our room, very modern, clean and comfortable. Had a big problem on the Sunday though, no hot water, had to have a cold shower, not what you expect in a five star hotel. You expect perfection and unfortunately we didnt get it.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
JanineGuestServices, Guest Services Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 10 January 2010
Dear "Firelady 22"
Thanks for your review and your great comments about the hotel and the rooms. I'm sorry about the cold water in your shower - you're right, of course this isn't five star and certainly not the norm! I am so sorry. If you want to get in touch with more details I will look into this. I hope it hasn't put you off coming back.
Please let me know if you ever stay with us again and I will look after your reservation personally.
Best regards
Janine
Guest Services Manager
janine.gelston@hotelmissoni.com
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2009

Last minute we booked this trip from Londen to Edingburgh, got a really good rate.
4,5 hours on the train, arrived in this beautiful, nice and cosy hotel.
We had to wait before we were helped by a 3rd girl though, as the 2 standing at the desk were to busy chatting to eachother (not even a welcome smile).
But the girl checking us in was really helpful and friendly.
Escorted to the superb room, very practicall and nice room (if you like Missoni style you will love how joyful it is designed!)
Breakfast in the room was great, a bit poor on fruits though.

Edinburgh itself is really nice now with a small Christmas market, ice rink and decorated shops. The athmosphere is just so cosy.

We are definitely going back.

Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2009

We stayed in the Missoni for a mid-week break in December, in order to take in the Christmas markets and do some shopping. The hotel has only been open since June, but I am certain it will soon gain an excellent reputation and build a loyal clientelle. Decor and rooms were modern and stylish, spotlessly clean. Staff were excellent, offering advice and guidance on anything we wanted to do. Location is also very good, just off the royal mile, within a couple of minutes walk of the castle, and handy for shops and restaurants.

Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2009

This is a fantastic, and very stylish hotel.
We were pleasantly surprised by the service - nothing was too much for the staff, and they Genuinely seemed friendly and as if they wanted to help us.
the design, and decor of the room was amazing, and the rain shower was just heaven!
It's the little touches that make the difference, and the Bang and Olufsen tv, and separate speakers in the bathroom were fab.
I must go again!

Kent, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2009

We arrived at the hotel at 9:30am Saturday morning to drop off our bags and luckily our room was ready so we were able to check in straight away which was great. The room was big, lovely furnishings, great bathroom (no bath in ours but you can ask for rooms with) and very good complimentary toiletries. You also have a large choice of films to view on demand and a partially stocked minibar both of which are free. The minibar had 2 bottles of beer, 2 cans of soft drink, 2 bottles of milk, 1 still & 1 sparkling water and a packet of crisps. We didn’t eat in the hotel but our taxi driver had eaten dinner in Cucina 2 weeks before and said the food was very good and the cocktail bar had a great selection. The location is literally just off the Royal Mile and 5-7 minutes walk from Edinburgh Castle, Princes Street, Waverley Station and Grassmarket. This part of town is very hilly so I use “5 minutes walk” loosely as it depends how quickly you walk and whether you prefer to “attack” hills and get them out the way or take a leisurely stroll up them!!! The location is central for most of the tourist attractions and the hotel staff are very welcoming. Our room was on the 1st floor at the front of the building and was a little noisy in the evening (didn’t bother us) so if you prefer complete silence request a room on a higher floor or not facing the main road. At the moment there is building work going on next door (site didn’t appear to be open at the weekend though) and we were advised by the concierge that should this bother us at all then to let reception know and they would try and relocate us. It was not an issue whilst we were there. We booked via laterooms.com not long after the hotel opened and got our room (1 night room only) for £120 which was an absolute bargain as the rooms are now £180+. It has just been awarded 5 star rating so I imagine the prices will probably increase further next year. I would stay here again if I could get a special offer but I personally wouldn’t pay more than £150-60 for a standard room here. I’ve not stayed in any other 5 star hotels in Edinburgh so I’ve nothing to compare it to therefore this is simply a personal budget comparing it to 4-5 star hotels I’ve stayed at in other cities. All in all a very good hotel with great staff, perfect sight-seeing location and well-furnished comfortable rooms.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple