“Great location, great hotel!”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #34 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington, DC
“Great location, great hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

Spent 5 nights her visiting my daughter who was studying at U Edinburgh. Fantastic location about 5 min from the Castle, right on High St/The Royal Mile, which is the main drag in the Old Town area. Service was fantastic, very upbeat and helpful. Room was a decent size, not huge, but very nicely appointed. Loved the colorful decor. Average bathroom but huge shower and heated mirror which is really nice. Great "scene" at the bar, very trendy. Dinner at the restaurant was VERY expensive but quite good. All in all an excellent experience, would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Paisley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

Stayed with my partner for his birthday, and had a lovely room, high floor with amazing view. The style and design is excellent. Especialy liked the bathrooms with the heated floors!!
The restaurant was very good also.
Staff very friendly

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2010

My husband and I spent the 30th and 31st December in Edinburgh at the Missoni for Hogmanay. The hotel is in a great location in Edinburgh and within walking distance of anywhere you’d want to go – Grassmarket, Royal Mile, Princes St etc.

The hotel itself was great, the rooms were spacious, free minibar and movies. The décor was very modern but not too over the top (in our room anyway). I was a bit confused when I first walked in to the hotel, as you walk straight into the bar area. Reception is located on the left as you come in. We knew they provided valet parking, but when we found out that it was 35 GBP per day, we decided to park at the SAS Radisson, just 5 mins walk, where it’s 18 GBP per day.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Service is a bit slow in the restaurant for breakfast, but if you’re in no hurry it’s not too bad.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

OK Central doesnt have an 'S' now does it!

Really enjoyed our stay at the new Missoni. We expected the style and it certainly delivered.

Check-in staff were ever smiling and helpful. All the staff were very well turned out and stylish which suited the hotel decor.

Rooms are very modern and surprisingly large. Excellent bed and fabulous pillows. Very well insulated and despite fronting onto the High Street our room was very quiet. Mini bar and coffee machine included in price made a nice difference.

We also took breakfast in our room and were blown away by the quality and quantity. For me its better value in your room than going downstairs.

Dinner was excellent. Quality of food and quantity really good. TIP: The slightly cheaper "Show mealtime" from 6pm until 7pm might suit many people. Serving staff excellent.

We used their carparking. Its expensive but it is valet parking. There is a NCP car park about 5 mins walk away if you want to spend a lot less.

Having stayed at most of the 4 and 5 star hotels in Edinburgh over the last 15 years, this one is up there with the best.

N.Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

I just thought I would write a quick review for the superb Hotel Missoni Experience that myself and my friends enjoyed (4-6 DEC 2009)
I expected the hotel to look fantastic – which of course it did – but I was impressed by the cleanliness and attention to detail.
Above all the Staff employed could not have been any more professional, helpful and attentive.

The “Missoni Kilted” welcome on the door was a genius idea for our arrival to the fusion Missoni /Scotland experience.
Check in and all dealings with Reception were thorough and painless!

The hotel service was sexy and slick. All food great with fantastic presentation with such attention to detail – from the bar lunch ,quick coffee or service at breakfast -

I travel a lot and stay in many hotels and the rooms catered to every detail – even including kettle alongside “Nespresso” machine – brilliant
I cannot praise you high enough for the “Hotel Missoni” experience.

I have a true passion for the brand and understand the importance of keeping this brand exclusive and luxury. I am so delighted see how well you have achieved this and think I will make it my goal to travel to each of the Hotel Missoni projects and continue to enjoy the experience in a different location!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2009

I honestly have no idea why this hotel is not rated as one of the top 5 places to stay in Edinburgh. We stayed for only 2 nights in the beginning of November and I'd highly recommend staying here. Yes is it a tad more expensive than other places but you already know that when you are booking. So I'd also rate it on all the other things you would look for in a hotel like cleanliness, service, location and value. It exceeded our expectations in all of these - great location on the Royal Mile, outstanding service, extremely clean and great value and quality. If there was anything you wanted, the conceirge was just a phone call away. I phoned ahead after we booked and the guy on night duty (can't remember his name) was excellent - I asked if he could arrange for an early checkin since we were arriving at noon which he said was no problem and also to make sure that we had a double/queen bed. Checkin was a breeze and the front desk staff were excellent. The rooms are not huge but we loved the big rain shower, the wood floors (much cleaner than carpet!), the free mini bar and movies and the bright modern feel with the missoni colors everywhere. For a boutique hotel I'd say the price is cheaper than you'd find in any other major city in the world. The bar and restaurant seem to be the place to be on a Saturday night. After an extremely rainy Sunday, we didn't feel like going back out to find a place to eat so we had a few cocktails at the bar and then asked the maitre d in the restaurant upstairs if we could order food and have it served in the bar downstairs since we were already comfortable there. Since they weren't that busy he said it was no problem at all. All in all, an excellent stay!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2009

We stayed in December. Hotel is in the pefect location. Loved our room, very modern, clean and comfortable. Had a big problem on the Sunday though, no hot water, had to have a cold shower, not what you expect in a five star hotel. You expect perfection and unfortunately we didnt get it.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
JanineGuestServices, Guest Services Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 10 January 2010
Dear "Firelady 22"
Thanks for your review and your great comments about the hotel and the rooms. I'm sorry about the cold water in your shower - you're right, of course this isn't five star and certainly not the norm! I am so sorry. If you want to get in touch with more details I will look into this. I hope it hasn't put you off coming back.
Please let me know if you ever stay with us again and I will look after your reservation personally.
Best regards