“A perfect option in touristy Edinburgh”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Elderfields Guest House
Ranked #229 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Edinburgh's accommodation is usually over-expensive and I wasn't preparing for a luxury experience for £67.50 per room. But Maureen's B&B was a really good surprise. The house is well located 15 minute-walk from the Royal Mile; parking is easy.We had a double room and a twin. The double room, in front of the house was absolutely huge. We felt like in a countryside grand hotel. The twin room however was rather small with shared bathroom. But Maureen explained that the room will have its own bathroom very soon. The house is full of traditional charm and you won't find this atmosphere in many places. The breakfast is not cooked but continental (fruits, cereals, toasts, croissants, cheese, ham) . No disappointment though as it was delicious, healthy and plentiful. The breakfast room is beautiful too. Maureen is a lovely host. Highly recommended place to stay whilst visiting the city.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Crumpet2009

Reviewed 3 June 2012

Located 12 minutes from bottom of royal mile.
So location excell, 8 min from bus to west end.
Attitude excellent, twin beds good,
breakfast very good, eggs bacon replaced by thin ham and cheese.
Parking available if only 1 other guest.
Furniture, and room size exception able.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelroc12
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Another late review for this truly excellent b&b, for which I apologize to Maureen, its most gracious host. When I had to change my travel plans after a car accident, I ended up stranded in Edinburgh for a weekend in September 2011 and quickly had to find accommodation. I expected it to be quiet, clean, friendly and within walking distance of the city centre - and not too expensive. An almost impossible task.

After I quick browse on tripadvisor I chanced upon this b&b and luckily it still had space for me. And what a lucky find it was! All of my expectations were fulfilled and much more. I was only sorry I could only stay for 2 nights, but I will certainly try to stay here, should I visit Edinburgh again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank SalzburgLaddie
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We were delighted to meet Maureen, and even now about 3 weeks later we still remember the warmth and friendliness of Maureen. This was one of the best in our month of BnBs and hotels. It was a relief to find that breakfast was NOT cooked (how much black pudding can one eat day after day) but fully continental...great choices and very filling. We would gladly stay again and invite you to stay and share our feelings of wellbeing and satisfaction here. We needed a laundromat and there is one quite nearby...the social center of edinburgh we found out! there are heaps of restaurants and chain stores within 20 minutes walk....absolutely perfect!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Luke W
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Maureen's B&B is the best one I have ever stayed in. The house was clean and spacious. The garden looks charming. Although the railway passes at the end of the garden, this is no bother at all since the noise is very little.
Our room came with an en-suite bathroom which was small but sufficient. Nicely decorated, and it had a towel heater which was an absolute favourite of ours! With the rain pouring every day, it was nice to find our towels and clothes dried by the next morning.

Our bed was very comfortable and large enough for two people to sleep in comfortably. There was a TV with quite a few TV channels to stare at at the end of a tiring day.
Maureen provided us with a great selection of teas and coffees that we could have in our rooms (kettle always filled up with water), and when we could not have breakfast in the morning, she always made sure we had a couple of apples to chew on.

Breakfast was a luxury to the eye and the palate as well. Grapefruit, porridge, toast and cheese, cold meat, and fruit plate, corn flakes, and all sorts of drinks to choose from. One note here to Maureen, I would have enjoyed some nice Scottish folk music in the morning instead of Vivaldi, but that is no issue really (and I do get upset by Vivaldi at times...I'm a musician anyway).

The B&B is quite close to London Road from where you can easily get to the sea to see The Britannia, and get to the centre with just 5 bus stops.
I strongly recommend Maureen's Elderfield's and hope to return next year as well.
Thanks a million for making our stay so enjoyable and relaxed!

Reka & Stefano

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AbhainnMacKay
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I am so late in posting this review, so my apologies to Maureen. We loved it. The location was in a quiet residential area but near enough to Holyrood and the Royal Mile one could walk it. There is a bus line near by and an excellent Chinese restaurant (I'm sorry I don't recall the name). There was also a grocery store where we picked up the makings for picnics. It did drizzle and rain while we were there, but that was expected. Maureen was very kind to lend me an umbrella and told me to please keep it as we were heading to Ireland next. Maureen is a lovely lady, very kind. Our room which was at the front of the house was very large and beautifully furnished with antiques and the most beautiful bed linens I have ever seen. Breakfast was plentiful and veyr good. Not the traditional fry up, but plenty of toast, cereal, yogurt and fruit. We hope one day to return to Scotland and we will definitely stay at Elderfields. Thank you Maureen!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mjsTwinCities
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Great value. Bathrooms recently remodeled with modern fittings. Very nice bathrobes provided. House kept in immaculate condition. Living room/common area was very nice. Breakfast served with a beautiful mix of Bach and Handel in the backround. Fast wireless internet. Inn keeper is as dear and fastidious a person as one can hope to find. Located within a five minute walk from Holyrood Palace. We ordered up taxis by phone and paid around £6 - £7 to get to the city center. Two couples - all very pleased.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple