“great place”

McCraes B&B
Ranked #49 of 395 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I was really happy when I stayed McCrae's B&B. The host was simply gentle and nice, and was really helpful when needed. The room was simply clean and large, and the breakfast was great! He was especially helpful when introducing the local culture(scottish food, and local restaurants and bars). When we had to leave the place every early in the morning, he prepared for the breakfast in the fridge for us the night beforre. My partner and I were so moved by his kind act and everything and I would absolutely visit there again when I am in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: As far as I know, there are only 4 rooms, and my double-room was really big!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
John W, Owner at McCraes B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Thank you for this lovely review. It's always a pleasure to meet guests who are interested in seeing a bit more of Edinburgh than the average visitor. It was good to see you both make the most of your visit.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

My partner and I stayed two nights at McCrae's and we will definitely stay there again if we find ourselves back in Edinburgh. John was a great host, happy to answer any questions, look after luggage etc, but not intrusive - he seemed very good at knowing whether his guests wanted to chat and adapting accordingly. The room was gorgeous, as was the bathroom, and all immaculately clean. The price was really reasonable too, especially for Edinburgh on the cusp of the festival. Breakfast was magnificent, the only problem was that there was a lot of it available and it's hard to walk around a town after eating too much!

The location was also good, 15 minutes walk to the centre and about £5 in a taxi to the railway station. It's a nice walk into town, through the new town with its gorgeous buildings, although a bit up and down (Edinburgh is all hills). It's also close to Brougham St, which has lots of nice cafes and restaurants, and some cute shops. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
John W, Owner at McCraes B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Thank you for such a kind review. I'm glad you both felt at home here and enjoyed your stay in the Broughton area (one of Edinburgh's best kept secrets)

Reviewed 8 August 2013

John was very nice and helpful. He made excellent restaurant recommendations. What was disappointing, was that during our stay, there was no housekeeping of our room other than emptying the trash cans and restocking the tea tray. Our bed were not made and the sink was not wiped down or drinking glasses cleaned. The location was very good in that it was about 20 minutes from the city center and generally quiet.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank seebear150
John W, Owner at McCraes B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay at McCrae's. I try to make my guests feel they're staying in a home from home rather than a hotel and have found that it's best to let people leave their room as they like during their visit and not interfere too much. It's my stated policy that I only clean cups, empty bins and refill the tea tray on a daily basis and guests seem happy to arrange the duvet on their bed themselves. If you had let me know that my standard policy was less than you expected and that you would've liked to have had your bed made during your stay, I would've happily obliged. I will reconsider my policy of leaving rooms generally as I find them but, as I run the B&B entirely on my own and quite often guests like to make themselves very comfortable with their belongings strewn everywhere, then it may be difficult to deal with the extra workload and actually manage to leave the house during the day :)

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay as much as you had hoped and if you're ever back in Edinburgh perhaps you'll give McCrae's a second chance.

Regards

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Excellent Bed & Breakfast, ideal for our trip to watch the golf at The 2013 Open at Muirfield and for popping into Edinburgh for food and beverages!. Recommended!
Beautiful property in a great location and cracking traditional breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My husband and I stated at McCrae's for two nights in July 2013. We cannot say enough good things - it was our favourite B&B of our trip across Scotland. John(our host) was friendly and very helpful, the food was great, and our room was clean and beautiful. We also really liked John's organic and local approach. Located in a safe and quiet neighbourhood within a short walk to all city attractions. We would definitely recommend McCrae's and will stay here again if we come back to the city.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I enjoyed 4 nights at this lovely B&B. John is a wonderful host - kind, helpful, accommodating and knowledgable. The food, linens and cleaning methods are all organic and it makes for a wonderful healthy atmosphere. Breakfast is delicious and I appreciated the organic yogurt and fruit and excellent porridge. The location is within walking distance of downtown Edinburgh and the bus and rail station. John has provided very comfortable, elegant and well stocked rooms with reading material, brochures about local attractions (including some discount coupons), kettle and tea and coffe supplies plus some lovely organic biscuits. I could sleep with the window open as it is a quiet street, even though so close to the city centre. I will definitely stay here again if I'm in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
John W, Owner at McCraes B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Thank you very much for the kind words Jan. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, especially after having to forgive me for the ultimate error of mistaking you for one of your more southerly North American neighbours ;)

Hope to see you again sometime.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

The door was already open for us when we arrived and the welcome friendly and always very helpful. We were starting our days with a carefully composed breakfast (to chose between light breakfast including toast, fruit, yoghurt, tea, coffee, orange juice, water, home made cake - and full / hot breakfast - all organic) in the very personal atmosphere of the former living room - after a good night´s sleep in one of the (3) comfortable rooms with a view to the calm garden.
After a short 15 min. walk or a short bus ride with bus no. 8 (every 10-15 min.) you arrive at the very entre of Edinburgh.
Nearby is the local Pub "Smithies" as well as several bars, bakeries and restaurants.
Recommendable: the walk along the Water of Leith up to the National Gallery of Modern Art and enjoy on the way up Dean village with it´s nice small shops, café-bars ...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends