“Lovely host, eco-friendly, cheery refuge from gloomy weather”
Review of McCraes B&B

McCraes B&B
Ranked #36 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Madison, Wisconsin
“Lovely host, eco-friendly, cheery refuge from gloomy weather”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The place is very quiet and small, which suits me. John (the proprietor) is perfect -- pleasant, helpful, and informative about Edinburgh and Scotland when asked but not at all instrusive. I didn't spring for the hot breakfast but the basic breakfast was excellent (juice, cold cereal with milk, yogurt, fresh fruit, sweet bread and toast as well as coffee and tea). The bed was comfortable and I was happy to have room-darkening shutters especially for my first jet-lagged night. Other things I liked: rooms were a nice size; John loaned videos to the traveler who couldn't tell day from night thanks to trans-Atlantic travel. I also liked tea kettles in our rooms (I gather this is standard throughout the UK but I still liked it) and the really nice quality tea. Wonderfully clean. The shower had good water pressure and organic shower gel. I enjoyed the common room for chatting and waiting for taxis. McCrae's is located fairly close to the city center (one could walk, though I mostly took taxis). Map provided. A cheery refuge from a gloomy Edinburgh April. In nicer weather, the neighborhood would be fun to explore. I can't imagine a better place to stay in Edinburgh (unless I get an invitation from the Queen or JK Rowling . . . even then, the informal coziness would be lost, I suspect).

Room Tip: Only three rooms. I was in the front room facing the street but McCrae's is in a residential nei...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JanLT
John W, Owner at McCraes B&B, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for going to the trouble of submitting such a kind and detailed review Jan. Much appreciated. See you next time. Hopefully we can provide much less dreary weather for you (I hesitate to say it's beautifully sunny here at the moment)

Cheers

John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
Monmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We had a great 2 nights stay at McCraes B&B. The bedrooms are comfortable, the bathroom facilities are clean and fresh and the breakfast is excellent. John's banana bread is delicious! The full Scottish breakfast, with quality organic ingredients, was very good indeed, and the porridge (I sampled the sweet version) scrumptious. John is extremely helpful and accommodating and has good recommendations for local places to eat. We ate at the Olive Branch, just a short walk away, and would highly recommend it. There are also some nice pubs nearby. Edinburgh centre is a reasonable walking distance - about 20 mins - and there are buses if preferred. John, helpfully, let us leave our bags in the room for the day, as we had a late flight home - much appreciated.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank monmouth_11
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We were impressed with all aspects of this spacious, clean and attractive B&B just a few minutes' walk from the railway station. The room was typical of a traditional Scottish Victorian house: spacious, homely and attractive. Excellent bathroom ensuite leading off. Breakfast was good and filling with plenty of choice. Very reasonable price, and John was very accommodating and allowed us to store our bags on the last day which was very helpful. We would warmly recommend, and would use again on any future trip.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank B0bSteel
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My boyfriend and I really loved staying at McCrae's B&B. John is a wonderful host and the place is really exquisite. We had booked a double room with a double bed which was super comfortable. The room was cozy, very clean, with a big bathroom which had a huge shower. All the products in the room, from the tea bags to the shower gel were organic and eco friendly. John is so kind and nice! Not only he was giving a lot of advices for places to visit, he also prepares a super delicious breakfast! We had a full Scottish breakfast and one vegetarian and they were really tasty! The location is also very good, it is just 15 min walk from Waverley train station, in which you walk along restaurants and bars, which makes it very nice also for the ones not too keen to walk (there is anyway a bus stop just 2 min from it). If I am back in Edinburgh, I would definitely stay at McCrae B&B. I highly recommend it, both for leisure and business, as well as for couples and families! Thank you so much John! You made my birthday weekend solo nice!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Samuelita
UK
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Very nice stay here with John. Nothing was too much trouble and we felt very welcomed at all times. I would stay here again, and would recommend it. Price was reasonable. Went the extra mile by allowing us to keep our bags in some extra hours. Thanks John!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank n4t0r
aachen
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We had a lovely week in the beautiful city of Edinburgh and so was the stay in John's B&B. We stayed for one week and enjoyed our nice and clean room. John was very helpful and friendly and cook's one of the best breakfasts in Edinburgh. ;-) The B&B is only a 15min walk from the city center. If wished there is a regualr bus stop less than 5min from the B&B into the city center.
We can highly recommend this B&B and will come back as soon as possible.
Best regards from Germany

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank polylox
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Enjoyed four nights here on a break in Edinburgh. Lovely large room with spacious ensuite. Nice and quite location. Breakfast options good, flexible choice of cooked/uncooked can be ordered night before and reflected in room price. Convenient location for restaurants, botanic gardens and some traditional pubs.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple