McCraes B&B
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Claremont Hotel(Edinburgh)
  • Breakfast included
The Place(Edinburgh)
The Howard(Edinburgh)
  • Breakfast included
  • Free Internet
All reviewsporridgeorganic breakfastbotanic gardensshort walkquiet neighborhoodvisit edinburghfelt like homecomfortable bedsrooms are largeour honeymoona wonderful staylocation is greattrain stationpubsfestivalbuses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The accommodations were comfortable, quiet and welcoming. John makes it so you don't feel like you're interfering with his family, who also live there. John was engaging and easy to get along with. The bedroom and bath were spacious. I had no problem sleeping--one of my issues. I would definitely recommend McCraes' when traveling to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The place is very quiet and small, which suits me. John (the proprietor) is perfect -- pleasant, helpful, and informative about Edinburgh and Scotland when asked but not at all instrusive. I didn't spring for the hot breakfast but the basic breakfast was excellent (juice, cold cereal with milk, yogurt, fresh fruit, sweet bread and toast as well as coffee and tea). The bed was comfortable and I was happy to have room-darkening shutters especially for my first jet-lagged night. Other things I liked: rooms were a nice size; John loaned videos to the traveler who couldn't tell day from night thanks to trans-Atlantic travel. I also liked tea kettles in our rooms (I gather this is standard throughout the UK but I still liked it) and the really nice quality tea. Wonderfully clean. The shower had good water pressure and organic shower gel. I enjoyed the common room for chatting and waiting for taxis. McCrae's is located fairly close to the city center (one could walk, though I mostly took taxis). Map provided. A cheery refuge from a gloomy Edinburgh April. In nicer weather, the neighborhood would be fun to explore. I can't imagine a better place to stay in Edinburgh (unless I get an invitation from the Queen or JK Rowling . . . even then, the informal coziness would be lost, I suspect).

Room Tip: Only three rooms. I was in the front room facing the street but McCrae's is in a residential neighborhood so didn't hear much street noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JanLT
John W, Owner at McCraes B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for going to the trouble of submitting such a kind and detailed review Jan. Much appreciated. See you next time. Hopefully we can provide much less dreary weather for you (I hesitate to say it's beautifully sunny here at the moment)

Cheers

John

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We had a great 2 nights stay at McCraes B&B. The bedrooms are comfortable, the bathroom facilities are clean and fresh and the breakfast is excellent. John's banana bread is delicious! The full Scottish breakfast, with quality organic ingredients, was very good indeed, and the porridge (I sampled the sweet version) scrumptious. John is extremely helpful and accommodating and has good recommendations for local places to eat. We ate at the Olive Branch, just a short walk away, and would highly recommend it. There are also some nice pubs nearby. Edinburgh centre is a reasonable walking distance - about 20 mins - and there are buses if preferred. John, helpfully, let us leave our bags in the room for the day, as we had a late flight home - much appreciated.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank monmouth_11
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We were impressed with all aspects of this spacious, clean and attractive B&B just a few minutes' walk from the railway station. The room was typical of a traditional Scottish Victorian house: spacious, homely and attractive. Excellent bathroom ensuite leading off. Breakfast was good and filling with plenty of choice. Very reasonable price, and John was very accommodating and allowed us to store our bags on the last day which was very helpful. We would warmly recommend, and would use again on any future trip.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank B0bSteel
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My boyfriend and I really loved staying at McCrae's B&B. John is a wonderful host and the place is really exquisite. We had booked a double room with a double bed which was super comfortable. The room was cozy, very clean, with a big bathroom which had a huge shower. All the products in the room, from the tea bags to the shower gel were organic and eco friendly. John is so kind and nice! Not only he was giving a lot of advices for places to visit, he also prepares a super delicious breakfast! We had a full Scottish breakfast and one vegetarian and they were really tasty! The location is also very good, it is just 15 min walk from Waverley train station, in which you walk along restaurants and bars, which makes it very nice also for the ones not too keen to walk (there is anyway a bus stop just 2 min from it). If I am back in Edinburgh, I would definitely stay at McCrae B&B. I highly recommend it, both for leisure and business, as well as for couples and families! Thank you so much John! You made my birthday weekend solo nice!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple