“Fruits de mer”

Ranked #82 of 2,597 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Ship on the Shore, a secret gem in Edinburgh’s Seafood dining scene. At the Ship on the Shore, we have the opportunity to explore and enjoy the freshest and most extraordinary Scottish fish and seafood. The Ship on the Shore loves to use these offerings and we take great pride in using the freshest, which arrives daily and is harvested from sustainable stocks, we love this gift from nature's larder and wanted to share what we enjoy with you, our fellow travellers. Our approach is simple really; we offer the finest ingredients, passionately prepared and expertly presented. When the sun shines, our delicious seafood can be served outside, on our shore-front terrace beside the Water of Leith. When it doesn’t, our atmospheric restaurant and bar awaits you. We serve food all day, from our delicious menus; Breakfast (9-11.30am) recognised by the Guardian as one of the best breakfasts in the UK, Crustacea and Mollusc (12 noon -10pm), Lunch (12 noon -5pm) Dinner (5-10pm). On Sunday's we also offer a delicious Sunday Roast. Whether it’s a Champagne Breakfast, light lunch or dinner you’re after, or luxuriating over our Fruits de Mer 'Royale' or Hot Shellfish Platter, accompanied by the finest wine or champagne, The Ship on the Shore offers informal, understated excellence.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Unassuming and understated. The Ship on the Shore is an old pub turned restaurant. It retains many old features and has a relaxed vibe which was perfect for lunch after an evening of fine dining the night before. The Fruits de Mer platter was HUGE! Everything fresh and tasty (although I continue to be underwhelmed by lobster). The oysters were particularly good as was the dressed crab. A crisp and cool bottle of Muscadet finished off a perfect lunch.
Possibly a little tired looking so if you like your restaurants modern and sleek then maybe this isn't for you. Personally I came away chilled and content...a perfect finish to a weekend in Edinburgh!

1  Thank NH71
Write a ReviewReviews (1,288)

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

My parents visited me and we had a really enjoyable dinner! Fresh and great seafood ! Great service as well!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Having visited Edinburgh's Register Office earlier in the day (a very impressive building next to St Giles Catherdral), we and seven guests, were treated to the most sumptuos repaste. Wonderful selection of the freshest seafood, wines to our liking and service that was both thoughtful and efficient.
Thank you to Rochelle and everyone else. The account was high only through indulgence!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Friends and I had a delicious meal at this restaurant. Good atmosphere, harbour views, friendly staff with good service and a very good menu.
My friends had fish starter and main courses, I had pate starter and sole main course. Both were of very good quality indeed the lemon sole was one of the best meals I have had.
The cost was not cheap but worth every last penny.
I will return there whenever I can and certainly recommend it to my friends.

1  Thank Sandra M
Reviewed 9 May 2014

If you like fresh fish and seafood, this is a great choice. Well sourced and well cooked. Good service and extensive wine list. Not cheap but worth it.

1  Thank One_Who_Gets_About