“Good food, nice atmosphere”

Calistoga Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Calistoga Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #582 of 2,554 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$34 - US$47
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: New Town
Cross street: Between Castle and Frederick
Description: A unique dining experience in Scotland's only Californian restaurant. Speciality Restaurant of the Year at Scottish Restaurant Awards, holder of an AA Rosette for food, plus numerous nominations for wine awards. Wine Tasting dinners a speciality and available to book whenever you want. A hidden treasure in the heart of central Edinburgh.
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We visited the Calistoga on a busy Friday evening. A little hard to find, located in a back lane - but definitely worth the search. We shared a generous cold meat&fish starter platter, and went on with the fish of the day. The service was well timed, and the food delilcious. The staff was very welcoming, friendly and professional.

A place we'd easily return to, and also recommend to others.

1  Thank Trond T
There are newer reviews for Calistoga Restaurant

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Booked this restaurant for a birthday treat on a Saturday night when most restaurants in central Edinburgh are packed. This weekend more so because of a rugby international. The time I wanted was 8:30, but not available so selected 8:45 (8:00 and 8:15 were also available). Arrived at 8:55, we were 10 minues late which isn't good but not the end of the world, and our coats taken. We were then informed that our table wasn't ready and would be another 20 minutes and that we could not have a drink in their bar because of a "private function" so the only option was to go and find a local bar and they'd text us when ready.

Now either this is abysmal management, or as I suspect, greed. It is not difficult to know that an 8:45 booking will need the table cleared by 8:30. I have no idea why they thought it was OK to have diners at the table until 30 minutes after they had a reservation, but for anyone looking to book this place, my experience is that they don't care, as long as their coffers are being filled.

For the record, they did call back at 9:20pm, but (and not their fault this time - Vodafone's) but their call went straight to voicemail and we did not get ther message until after 10pm by which time we had given up and gone home.

So, for ruining what should have been a special occasion, thanks for nothing Calistoga.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

If I were just to judge this restaurant on food alone I would give it a 5...if I were just to judge it on it's other merits it would probably get a 3. I had the meat board as a main and it has to be one of the tastiest dishes I've ever had! The chocolate sharing plate for dessert was yummy & the wine went down very well. I do feel however that the restaurant was slightly lacking in other areas & in its attention to detail. The menu could be presented nicer, there's nothing of interest in terms of style and decor, there was no music on for much of our meal. Overall though it was a very enjoyable experience and I intend to go back to try more of the amazing food!

Reviewed 5 November 2013

A group of us went here for tea. The meal I had (ostrich burger and sweet potato fries) was great and good value. One of our party did have a problem with a tough steak (it was replaced, but apparently according to the chef she was cutting it wrongly)

1  Thank Emma G
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

This restaurant has been one of my favourites for years -for our works Christmas meal, for a small lunch club, for family catchups etc. I unhesitatingly recommended it when friends or visitors asked where they should eat in Edinburgh. However not only will I not be recommending it I doubt I'll be back.
A friend and I were charged £50 for lunch -most of which had gone back on the plate uneaten. After an unremarkable starter of 2 asparagus spears on a soggy bed of mushrooms, we had paid extra for steak which was inedibley chewy. Gone completely is the fantastic artistic flair in presentation. The rubbery steak was served with a dish of pepper sauce, a tub of chips and a green garnish. My friend and I were so pleased to see each other if the food had just been mediocre we wouldn't have noticed -but it was awful and the water said nothing when he removed our plates with most of the steak still there in half chewed lumps.
When restaurants let standards slip like this they usually have passing trade to rely on but due to its location Calistoga relies on word of mouth recommendations. There was only one other table occupied while we were in and I'm not surprised.