“Incredible value”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: New Town
Cross street: Between Castle and Frederick
Description: A unique dining experience in Scotland's only Californian restaurant. Speciality Restaurant of the Year at Scottish Restaurant Awards, holder of an AA Rosette for food, plus numerous nominations for wine awards. Wine Tasting dinners a speciality and available to book whenever you want. A hidden treasure in the heart of central Edinburgh.
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My partner and I dined here on a Saturday night and there was a good atmosphere in the restaurant.

We both opted for the set menu for £26 each. We both had the flat iron steak which was fantastic.

We had a lovely bottle of red Zinfandel wine.

The service was also excellent.

Looking forward to going back!

1  Thank Apache_ML

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Another fantastic meal in really friendly surroundings. First visit for our 12 year old son. He loves it too now. Food great and wines are fantastic. Great touch to have a small wine tasting at the start, none for the boy obviously!

1  Thank SimpEdinburgh
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I had wanted to visit Calistoga for quite some time, so I was pleased to be able to go with some friends. I had expected a Californian restaurant to be a relaxed, laid-back kind of place, and this initially seemed to be borne out by the casual attire of the maître d'/waiter/sommelier (that's all one person), and the Californian radio station(?) that was playing as background music, but the atmosphere in the restaurant, the menu and the manner in which we were served all seemed to be much more formal than I had expected - and this was on an evening when there was only one other table occupied.

The menu selection was good, but it didn't seem to me to be very Californian (I have been to California several times): I think it is more like the kind of thing that up-market Californian restaurants with an eye to European cuisine are likely to aspire to.

The wine list, on the other hand, was excellent, with a great range of Californian wines at reasonable prices.

The good news is that the food was excellent. As a group, we sampled a good range of the menu and everybody was pleased with their choices. Two of us shared the mixed grilled meat platter and it was very nice, particularly the chicken; the salmon steak and spiced half-chicken were also well received. Sadly, the cheeseboard followed the regrettable fashion for minuscule portions of cheese.

Will I go back? Yes, I will (I particularly want to try one of the wine-tasting dinners). But next time I won't wear the surfing shorts and flip-flops.

1  Thank M1DXB
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Visit Calistoga last week after looking all great feedback at tripadvisor. I was shocked when arrived to see the waiting staff so bad dressed. Not for someone who's food handler. The place looks like need a refurbishment. The menus were A4 paper in plastic cover. The menu selection was good.
I really enjoyed the wine list with a great selection of America and some other countries wines. I picked a lovely Pinot Noir of Napa Valley vineyards. Really enjoyable and a good price.
The food was ok but I can say had a "wow" factor. Had the platter of mix grilled meats as main with my wife with bbq chicken, lamb and rib eye steak. Chicken was very hot but all red meat were cold. All was sent back and by the time we got it back the meat was more cooked than we asked for.
I was shocked again when a had the bill, on a half bad cut A4 which the other side was an old menu (recycling is good!!).
Not what I expected from a restaurant with great feed back and a Rosette

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We went hear last minute and it was a lovely surprise. There was a good selection of Californian wines and the flights of wine were great fun. We ordered the flat bread to start which was lovely then shared the grilled meat platter. This was really super. The chicken was succulent, the lamb was beautiful and the steak cooked to perfection. The food is very reasonably priced and good quality. Definitely a meat lovers treat.

1  Thank DBaird_78