Holyrood Abbey
Book In Advance
More Info
US$17.71*
and up
Edinburgh Royal History Walking Tour with Optional Palace of Holyrood House...
Ranked #38 of 421 things to do in Edinburgh
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We visited the Abbey as part of our tour to Holyrood palace and I'm not sure what I like more - the palace itself or the ruins of the Abbey. The ruins are indeed very picturesque and would be an ideal place for photo-shooting. It is worth to listen to story on audio-guide as this place once was the burial place of scotish monarchs and place for theirs coronation. I could not stop taking photos of the ruins from inside and from the parks. Explore different gargoyles on the facade.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

While visiting Holyroodhouse Palace we come across the nearby Holyrood Abbey so naturally we wandered in for a look. I guess being a tourist in great Britain and Europe you do tend to get Castle / Abbey / Cathedral and museum'd out. We did not find Holyrood Abbey to be anything special. Would I advise against visiting the Abbey? No, make up your own mind maybe you will be turned on.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

This was the 3rd abbey/cathedral ruin we have been to so far on this trip and we were quite disappointed. See my review of Elgin Cathedral. I have not yet written the review of the abbey ruins in Wales (Tintern Abbey - that will be getting a 5 when I get the time to write the review). This one seemed rather small, not very photogenic, and just not very interesting. We saw it because we were on the tour of Holyrood Palace and the abbey is literally right next to the palace. If you are seeing the Palace, by all means, walk the Abbey ruins; but don't make a special trip. If it happens that this is the only ruined abbey you will be able to see - go ahead. Something is better than nothing.

1  Thank Mike P
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

Background Info:
Was at Holyroodhouse Palace so saw this as part of the tour.

The Good:
Its so authentic and beautiful to look at. The history and stories are interesting. Great photo opportunities.

Area for improvement:
More signage.

Overall:
A picture of gothic!

Reviewed 23 September 2013

If you're doing the touristy run around Edinbugh this is a must see.
Thoroughly enjoyed the trip, personal Abbey ruins tour, palace and history.
About an hour and a half - seemed longer there was a lot to it.