“Really tasty food and faultless service”
Review of Karen's Unicorn

Karen's Unicorn
Ranked #254 of 2,626 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: New Town
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Visited here for the first time in a few years so thought I'd add a review.

If you like Chinese take away you can't go wrong, it's everything you can get from a take away, but with better quality ingredients, fresh, delivered straight to your table, and with quality service.

We had chicken satay, char sui bai, lemon chicken and crispy shredded chicken - all brilliant (peanut sauce was probably the best I've had).

The attentive and ultra polite staff make the experience a whole lot nicer too, the wee touches like offering water top ups without being asked, dishing up your rice, opening doors for you etc - just excellent.

Endless delivery of prawn crackers, and complimentary chocolates to finish we're a nice touch too.

Highly recommended if that's what you're in the mood for.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Based on the reviews on Tripadvisor, I surprised Mrs G by taking her to lunch. Everything was right about this restaurant; the food, the ambience and the service. Oh, and my lunch companion was delightful. I have to say this as she reads my reviews.
The well chosen wine list was as welcome as it was unexpected. We ordered the Albariño, an increasingly popular Spanish white.
As Arnie says, 'I'll be back'.

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

My partner wanted to take me out for my birthday and following a raving review from a work colleague we decided on here.

Don't let the outside fool you (doesn't look overly welcoming - but just wait till you go inside).

Our jackets were taken away and prawn crackers swiftly placed on our table. The menu is good, plenty of choice and reasonably priced. We went for chicken satay and duck spring rolls to start, followed by duck in peking sauce and shredded chilli chicken. Sides were egg fried rice and poached noodles.

Could not fault the food, everything was eaten up and the nice touch of a chocolate at the end was good.

Bill, the waiter kept our water and wine glasses topped, thank you for an enjoyable evening.

The only point I'd like to make is your website needs fixed, it is unusable in regards to menu and booking - please fix this.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I was looking forward to a takeaway tnis evening from Karen's Unicorn as I have enjoyed their takeaway deliveries before. It took me ages to find an online menu but i did eventually and then I called them to place the order. By my reckoning, our order should have come to £30.95, however I was told that the meal would cost me £38.75 ... I called them back to query the amount charged and was told that the prices have gone up, but that there is no current menu available online. I said to the operator that I would be happy to pay the advertised price for the meal, but she wouldn't agree to honour the advertised prices. Sadly we had to cancel our order ... but on the plus side we're looking forward to a delivery from Chop Chop who have their prices displayed properly online ...

3  Thank Rhona J
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We came as group of 5 and had the set meal, with three starters and then a selection of main dishes. The food was very good, especially the starters, and the service was friendly and prompt. The atmosphere and décor are relaxed and above the standard of many Chinese restaurants. The price reflects the standard of the food, so a bit pricey compared with many.