“A Disappointment in a Good City”

Dunedin Guest House
Ranked #165 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
snohomish wa
“A Disappointment in a Good City”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed two nights in mid-September. David was a bit dour and his wife was decidedly unfriendly, actually she was not present at all until my wife and I were leaving (we think that she was arguing with David!). Rates were quite high for the room/service provided. The upstairs room was noisy because of traffic; lots of space and very clean.

The location was good (bus lines). It would have been a more inviting stay if David had been a bit more friendly and helpful (e.g. not everyone has an iPhone). I would just say that there wasn't "engagement" with us; a minimalist-approach.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dunedin01, Owner at Dunedin Guest House, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
References to the friendliness of my wife and I, are not borne out by our numerous Excellent and Very Good Reviews, and so these remarks are both personal and incorrect - 93% of our reviewers cannot be wrong. This is much more about a couple who had the misfortune to be involved in a Road Traffic Accident, now quite traumatised, and who required to make phone calls relating to this. We provide a payphone at cost to ourselves for guests’ use, and so the references to not having an I Phone are made, quite maliciously, in our view.
The couple requested 2 separate rooms for single occupancy on a very busy weekend in Edinburgh (Friday & Saturday nights). We accommodated this most unusual request by providing 1 Double/Twin Bedroom En Suite and to help, made available our Family Bedroom for SINGLE OCCUPANCY at the same price (60% discount) – not at all high in Edinburgh terms for September. He indicated that his wife could not sleep at all, after their trauma, and they even swapped rooms on the second night as she said her room was too noisy.
To correct factual inaccuracies, my wife is not always involved front-of-house, being very busy with other aspects of the guest house. To think that there was some kind of argument overheard, suggests uncertainty about what was or was not heard. It suggests eavesdropping, as we would never dream of arguing in front of guests – indeed we rarely argue, having worked together in business for over 20 years and been very happily married a lot longer than that!!
Finally, we take much pride in the warm welcome we extend to the many guests who stay here, and the support and help we give to their many requests. Interacting with guests is a two-way process, and we do not accept references to dour and unfriendly – quite the opposite. Many people comment about how much they prefer the ability to come and go without the owners being around all the time.
We feel this couple had other issues of their own.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Twelve of us stayed, in 6 rooms, for the weekend of my daughter's wedding down the road at Prestonfield House. We were all pleased with our rooms apart from the fact that the single room was a bit too light at night due to a street light just outside. The breakfasts were lovely - between us we must have tried all the options and the choice was excellent. Our hosts, the Wrights, were welcoming, helpful and friendly. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Denver
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Enjoyed our 3 night stay here. Spotlessly clean.
The WIFI is somewhat slow and needed to be rebooted at least twice over three days.
David is marvelous. His wife was unnecessarily nasty. When I checked out 15 minutes late (10:15 am) she snapped at me about it.
The breakfast was exceptionally good.
Our room in the front with enormous bay windows was very nice, although just a bit noisy.
The two doors to the other front room on our floor (1st flr) made a racket when opened or closed. That can be a major flaw early in the morning or late at night, depending on the schedule of your neighbor.
David's wife should find another line of work.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dunedin01, Owner at Dunedin Guest House, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Some elements of this Review are factually incorrect. Checkout time here is 10.30am and Bill Payment is logged on our Credit Card Machine at 10.50am. The guests checked out at 11.15am, not 10.15am as stated (45 mins late, not 15 mins)

The exceptionally good breakfast was cooked by my wife.
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Arrived at Dunedin Guest House and was received warmly by David, who was very helpful in carrying my heavy suitcase up to my room. The room was to the front of the house, it wasn’t a big room, but it was cozy and comfortable, and, best of all, it had an armchair. Some B&Bs I’ve been to in the past have not had one and I’ve ended up sitting on the bed, so this was very much appreciated! The room was not en suite, but had a private bathroom for my exclusive use, just along the hall and for which I had a key. The bathroom had nice little touches like a washcloth, cotton wool and shower cap and nice fluffy towels.

Breakfast was lovely. There was cereal and juices on a sideboard and there was also a menu with different cooked breakfasts to order. On my first morning I had sausages, scramble eggs, mushrooms and one of the best pieces of black pudding I can remember having eaten, it just about melted in my mouth. Tea and toast were also included.

The guest house is located on the south side of the city, but there are several buses which takes you into town in 10-15 minutes, if you just walk down to the main road. A day ticket will set you back £3.50, so if you’re using the bus for more than two trips this is a good investment.

I enjoyed my stay at Dunedin very much and will recommend it to anyone who is planning a visit to Edinburgh. I myself would love to return to stay when I’m back in the city as I surely will be at some point.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
london
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Just stayed here for only one night in this beautifully decorated house. Room was lovely and spotlessly clean with a view up to Arthurs Seat. Great Scottish breakfast too. It is in a lovely area of Edinburgh and is a pleasant 15 minute walk into town and a great pub with very good food just around the corner. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bobanmay
Tumwater, Washington
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Every trip we make to Edinburgh includes a stay at Dunedin. David and Irene are the perfect hosts, always full of information, great tips, and go out of their way to ensure your stay is comfortable.
The rooms are always spotless, the breakfast area clean and well appointed. We have yet to have a bad breakfast (and we've had a lot of breakfasts!).
The neighborhood is quiet yet within walking distance of the Royal Mile.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Charming, spotless, and friendly! What more could you ask? Only a block from the bus stop on Dalkieth Road, but away from the noise. Our host was so friendly and helpful, and he makes you a full Scottish breakfast to your order every morning.
We were there during the Tattoo, so of course the price was higher, but it was definitely worth it. The lovely breakfast room with bay window (geraniums in the window box) and fireplace was a delight. Bathrooms super clean.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends