“Amazing - can't wait to go back and explore more with Helen”

Afternoon Tea Tours
Ranked #26 of 230 Tours in Edinburgh
Reviewed 16 September 2010

I have been to the UK quite a few times, but never to Scotland and it was my mother’s first time leaving the US (other than Canada) for a trip. We had allotted 3 full days of our trip to spend in the Edinburgh area and I wanted to make sure it was a special experience for her. After doing many searches online for tours departing from Edinburgh, I kept coming across Helen's Afternoon Tea Tours. After a few emails back and forth to see what Helen could offer us, I decided to book it. I am so glad I did and can't wait until I have an opportunity to go back and explore more with her. I have been on various tours around the world and Helen is unlike any other guide I've toured with before. She is like a friend... a friend who has more knowledge to share about Scotland than you could imagine. Helen's apparent pride in her heritage is something that made the tour so special. It wasn't like being read to from a history book - we heard stories of her family in addition to the historical Scotland stories. I cannot recommend Helen's tours enough and can't wait to get back there myself. Helen, thanks for an amazingly memorable day. I know we were able to see and experience things we would never have gotten from a big bus tour. -Sherri from Philadelphia

1  Thank sak9982
in 4 reviews
"family history"
"memorable trip"

Reviewed 1 September 2010

While we were in Edinburgh in July, Helen arranged her Chocolate and Whiskey Tour for us. What a wonderful day! She picked us up at our hotel and we were off! On the way to the Dewar Distillery Helen showed us several other great sites. After the Whiskey Tour we were mellowed out for the Chocolate. By "we" I mean my wife and I. Helen of course did not drink!!
She knows everything about Scotland and I must say we learned a lot. Before we realized what was happening the day was over. We had a lot of laughs during the day and we certainly enjoyed her company. We plan to arrange another tour when we are in Scotland again. Afternoon Tea Tours ROCKS!

1  Thank VintageMicros
Reviewed 30 August 2010

Three of us were in Edinburgh for a few days, a surprise trip for my birthday from my fiancée. It certainly was a surprise as the two of us who weren’t in on the secret waited outside our B & B for whatever was going to happen. A large car drew up and Helen introduced herself to us. We got in and set off through Edinburgh, with only my fiancée and Helen having even the faintest notion of where we were going. I won’t spoil it for others by naming places visited, but we had the most amazingly relaxing, peaceful and inspiring day. I love the Scottish Highlands and thought I had been to most places, but Helen took us to places I didn’t even know existed, some within yards of where I had been so often. We visited beautiful woodlands and waterfalls that I had been to often but would always want to revisit. Before moving on, Helen served us with hot drinks and the most amazing biscuits, eaten at a picnic bench by a tumbling river. We then called at a high quality chocolate shop and naturally bought some for later. After visiting a few more lovely places that brought back happy memories, we called at a little gem of a tearoom for lunch. Right through the journey, Helen told us all about the various places we passed though, little snippets of history, local tales and fascinating facts. We all found ourselves swapping stories, comparing different parts of Scotland and even discussing favourite walks and places.
Before we went back to Edinburgh, Helen took us to their little cabin, set in a heavenly spot, beside a small burn, with a beautiful view between trees, across the valley to mountains beyond. As we were sitting outside the cabin, having a welcoming hot drink from Helen’s flask and eating more of those wonderful biscuits, Helen was telling us all about a squirrel that regularly visits their cabin. The squirrel duly obliged and ran up the ruined wall beside the burn, to spend about 10 minutes feeding off nuts placed in a feeder on a tree - surely that wasn’t organised as well.
It was a shame the trip had to come to an end, but off we went back to Edinburgh, with plenty of happy memories of a fantastic time. Our thanks to Helen for her part in a perfect day, and my thanks to my fiancée for making it all happen.

1  Thank YarrowDurham
Reviewed 25 August 2010

Helen and Robert took my four children and I around Scotland. They made our customized tour informative and fun--something we could NEVER have gotten on any of the larger tours I looked into. The children wanted to see castles, and we SAW castles--taking our time in each one and having picnics along the way. We stayed in Helen and Roberts cottage for a couple of nights, using that as our base for the area, which cut down on some our driving and allowed the children to meet Meg, the working sheep dog. We also stayed with Helen and Robert in Edinburgh, and they treated us like family--very warm and welcoming. If Helen and Robert have an opening--book them while you can--a customized personal tour of Scotland with the ability to stop at something on a whim. We really enjoyed our tour.

1  Thank Canadianwithfourkids
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Our afternoon with Helen was perfect! We enjoyed the both the Castles with their lovely gardens, driving through the Borders area and the afternoon tea was superb! We wanted to be able to go at our own pace without crowds and feeling rushed, Helen was very knoweldgeable and friendly, she picked us up and delivered us from and to our hotel we could not have had a better day! I would highly recommend Helen to any and everyone that asks, excellent value for your dollar as far a we were concerned. Wishing Helen and now her husband as well the very best with their new concepts and tour ideas as well they sound wonderful.

1  Thank DWilsons5