“Our food and service was good”
Review of Loopy Lorna's Tea House - CLOSED

Loopy Lorna's Tea House
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: LDear lovely loopy customersIt is with huge sadness that I have to inform you that Loopy's will cease trading from 4pm on Sunday 17th November.I’d like to offer my sincere thanks to all our loyal customers who have made Loopy’s the success it is. My mum, Lorna, would have delighted in seeing the tea house brimming with happy customers, munching on our delicious cakes and sipping on our fine teas.As many of you will know I was diagnosed with breast cancer two months after opening Loopy's in October 2008 and then secondary breast cancer in 2012. As much as I cherish Loopy’s it is time to let it go…. Loopy’s may yet reappear run by another company though!I have been extremely fortunate in having AMAZING staff without whom Loopy's would have had to close a long time ago. My poor health has prevented my involvement in running Loopy’s and I would like to use this opportunity to thank Tracy Somerville, whom I’m sure many of you will know, who has been managing Loopy’s magnificently. Loopy’s was awarded the accolade of ‘Best Independent Eatery in Scotland 2012, ’a testament to Tracy’s hard work and dedication.More recently Ayren Honey joined the Loopy team as front of house manager and again I’m sure many of you will know Ayren in his wonderful bright pink shirts. Ayren has been an enormous support to Tracy and put his heart and soul into maintaining Loopy’s high standards.Big thanks, of course to all the Loopy staff.Loopy’s superb accountant and business advisor, Val Wishart has proved beyond doubt that accountants can be so much more than just numbers people and has been a huge support.Thank you all for five years of custom and for helping me achieve my dream of a fitting tribute to my mum.We will be having some closing down offers soon so watch this space!Love from Gaynor x x x
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Just had lunch and the food and service was all good. Food was fast coming and good tasting. The servers asked how things were going and if they could get us somthing or did we need any thing. It is a bit of a moms with kids hang out but when we went the kids that were there were all behaving well.

We will go back again

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Dirty cups ,cracked plates, tea cosy crusted with old food. OVER PRICED FOR SIZE OF PORTIONS...
Ordered cream tea jam was so runny it would not stay on the scone. not enough cream to cover all the scones.
Asked for manager out came a spotty teenager. who did not want to know.
My wife gave them her business card and asked if the owner could ring or email her. This was over a week ago NO REPLY.
THIS PLACE HAS GONE DOWN HILL SINCE IT MOVED....

2  Thank Grahammcdonald
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

Went to go for lunch. It is still possible to get a good lunch including drink for £5. However ended up having a scone and tea as all sandwiches were nearly £5 without drink. I wanted a light lunch not something that would sink a battleship. Having said that the scones were fine.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Always a pleasure and the staff are always chatty and welcoming... it does have the feel of a personal affection rather than regular cafe businesses.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Went to Loopy Lorna's for a light lunch with partner. Place was devoid of atmosphere, customers and welcome. It was like a meeting hall. I'm sure a lot more could be done here? We had gone on recommendation of a friend from quite a long while ago ( they had gone to Morningside one).
Anyway, we ordered the sandwich and soup combo- Big Mistake! The soup was lukewarm and had a strange taste. The accompanying sandwich was on really sad, old bread. It was such a shame as a simple sandwich could look a lot more appetising than these ones- a choice of interesting bread would be a good start. what was most disappointing was the attitude of the staff. They were too busy chatting to serve the few people who were in and waiting time was not acceptable. (30 mins for soup and sandwich???). I found myself wondering how they would have coped if they were actually busy?
The most offputting thing and the reason I won't be back is the cafeteria type system like MAcDonalds, where you pay up front then wait for your food. It kind of assumes you will accept the quality of what you are served. Not for me. Definitely not a cafe. Definitely won't be recommending it.

4  Thank Pythagorus31
LoopyLorna, Manager at Loopy Lorna's Tea House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Good Morning Pythagorus31
Thank you for posting a review of Loopy Lornas. Firstly I am sorry that you were disappointed by your experience. I do wish to address some of your points however.

With regard to the fact that 'it is like a meeting hall', Loopy's is indeed a large space and this is generally pleasing when it is busy. Sadly when it is quiet it does at times for some people feel very empty. We are somewhat limited in what we are able to do by the age and style of the building. As I say the large space is welcomed by most as it allows access for all including wheelchairs, mothers with buggies etc. We are working with what we have to make the space 'warmer' when it is quiet and have now started to add a little more colour.

Regarding the food, on Monday we did have 2 unusual soups on (normally we have one and one plainer choice). These were Leek Potato & Haggis and a rich Tomato and Brocolli. Both are strong tasting soups and for the plainer palette were perhaps not what you would have chosen. I am sorry that you felt your soup was not warm enough but our staff would happily have rectified this for you had they been asked to do so.

With regard to the sandwiches, our bread is fresh each day and we do have a choice of thick white, granary, filled rolls, wraps. While I am sure that we could add to this these are all popular choices and sadly we cannot stock everything and on the whole our customers are pleased with the quality and the selection.

Our staff do interupt any conversations they are having when customers come in and need served. Soup and sandwiches take minutes to make and as you rightly say Monday was a quiet day this week. I would be extremely shocked that you waited 30 minutes and having checked Mondays records have found that the longest wait for food all day was 15 minutes and this was for a large booking that we had at 12 mid day.

On your final point regarding the ordering system; in line with many Cafes, Sandwich bars and coffee houses now we do ask people to order at the till and then we do the rest. This is NOT a technique to get the cash regardless of quality. It is in fact a way to allow customers to relax and enjoy their time and experience with us. If there are complaints, problems or issues with any aspect of the food or service we have a duty manager on site at all times who is available to deal with these if any customers raise an issue. Sadly we are unable to address issues after the customer has left as we are not able to check the full details.

I am sorry that you feel disappointed but hope that you feel I have addressed all your points.

Kind regards