“Poor service during interval”
Review of Loopy Lorna's Tea House - CLOSED

Loopy Lorna's Tea House
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: LDear lovely loopy customersIt is with huge sadness that I have to inform you that Loopy's will cease trading from 4pm on Sunday 17th November.I’d like to offer my sincere thanks to all our loyal customers who have made Loopy’s the success it is. My mum, Lorna, would have delighted in seeing the tea house brimming with happy customers, munching on our delicious cakes and sipping on our fine teas.As many of you will know I was diagnosed with breast cancer two months after opening Loopy's in October 2008 and then secondary breast cancer in 2012. As much as I cherish Loopy’s it is time to let it go…. Loopy’s may yet reappear run by another company though!I have been extremely fortunate in having AMAZING staff without whom Loopy's would have had to close a long time ago. My poor health has prevented my involvement in running Loopy’s and I would like to use this opportunity to thank Tracy Somerville, whom I’m sure many of you will know, who has been managing Loopy’s magnificently. Loopy’s was awarded the accolade of ‘Best Independent Eatery in Scotland 2012, ’a testament to Tracy’s hard work and dedication.More recently Ayren Honey joined the Loopy team as front of house manager and again I’m sure many of you will know Ayren in his wonderful bright pink shirts. Ayren has been an enormous support to Tracy and put his heart and soul into maintaining Loopy’s high standards.Big thanks, of course to all the Loopy staff.Loopy’s superb accountant and business advisor, Val Wishart has proved beyond doubt that accountants can be so much more than just numbers people and has been a huge support.Thank you all for five years of custom and for helping me achieve my dream of a fitting tribute to my mum.We will be having some closing down offers soon so watch this space!Love from Gaynor x x x
Edinburgh
“Poor service during interval”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My father pre ordered drinks for the interval of a show. The gin and tonic had no lemon in it and was very weak and watery. The wine was really not pleasant. There were only 2 staff serving when there were over 200 people in the audience. Since loopy Lorna's took over this venue the theatre experience has been very disappointing. Maybe they should let someone else do this function.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank holidayjulie19

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fell below my expectations :-(”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

After my family constantly raved about how great this place was, I finally got to visit.

I expected a traditional old tea room but instead found what resembled a large church room with quite a cold atmosphere.

The worst bit of the experience was that this place is far too child friendly. It wasn't just kids that were running riot, the adults were even joining in. There were kids toys and high chairs strewn across the place and you get the feel it's a mother and toddler group.

The food was ok - I had a haggis roll which was overly generous on the haggis (sometimes less is more!). However prices are RIDICULOUS. I'm ashamed that I actually paid £2 for a can of Coke - I can buy 8 for that price in Asda.

There appears to be far nicer places to go in Morningside than here so I'd recommend giving this a miss.

2 Thank Lisa M
Edinburgh
“Afternoon tea!”
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Went for afternoon tea with a gift voucher to loopy Lorna's tea room. Staff were quite friendly,the place was not too busy but it seems to be popular with women with children. Our order arrived quite promptly. It consisted of a selection of egg mayo,tuna mayo,smoked salmon and ham sandwiches,crisps and a little lettuce on the side. The next layer was fruit scones ,plain scones and two cup cakes served with jam and cream then on the top two different types of tray bake all washed down with a pot of tea. The sandwiches were nice but it felt like the bread had been left out as it felt hard on the outside,they were all well filled apart from the ham sandwich which felt a bit sparse. The scones were nice but could have done with more jam for the four scones. The cupcakes,tray bake and tea were lovely however we felt that it was perhaps a bit too much sweetness in one sitting. Overall we enjoyed our experience at loopy Lorna's which surprised us with the reviews we had read on trip adviser before we went.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Elizabeth T
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Quite a let down!”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I visited for lunch with a friend today and was quite disappointed. Firstly I ordered a 'fresh apple juice' (which cost £2) and what I got was a wine glass of concentrated apple juice from a carton, not exactly 'fresh'. My friend ordered soup but the wrong soup was brought out. I had a chicken salad sandwich but the bread was smothered with margarine which I really dislike (my advice: ask the customer if they want margarine/butter!!) The salad with our lunch was supposed to come with balsamic dressing according the menu, but there was no dressing on the salad, we asked the waiter and we were given a small ramekin of malt vinegar (?!). I had looked forward to eating here but it was let down by a few details.

2 Thank Lesley T
Calgary, Canada
“Our food and service was good”
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Just had lunch and the food and service was all good. Food was fast coming and good tasting. The servers asked how things were going and if they could get us somthing or did we need any thing. It is a bit of a moms with kids hang out but when we went the kids that were there were all behaving well.

We will go back again