“Just a bad day?”

Loopy Lorna's Tea House
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: LDear lovely loopy customersIt is with huge sadness that I have to inform you that Loopy's will cease trading from 4pm on Sunday 17th November.I’d like to offer my sincere thanks to all our loyal customers who have made Loopy’s the success it is. My mum, Lorna, would have delighted in seeing the tea house brimming with happy customers, munching on our delicious cakes and sipping on our fine teas.As many of you will know I was diagnosed with breast cancer two months after opening Loopy's in October 2008 and then secondary breast cancer in 2012. As much as I cherish Loopy’s it is time to let it go…. Loopy’s may yet reappear run by another company though!I have been extremely fortunate in having AMAZING staff without whom Loopy's would have had to close a long time ago. My poor health has prevented my involvement in running Loopy’s and I would like to use this opportunity to thank Tracy Somerville, whom I’m sure many of you will know, who has been managing Loopy’s magnificently. Loopy’s was awarded the accolade of ‘Best Independent Eatery in Scotland 2012, ’a testament to Tracy’s hard work and dedication.More recently Ayren Honey joined the Loopy team as front of house manager and again I’m sure many of you will know Ayren in his wonderful bright pink shirts. Ayren has been an enormous support to Tracy and put his heart and soul into maintaining Loopy’s high standards.Big thanks, of course to all the Loopy staff.Loopy’s superb accountant and business advisor, Val Wishart has proved beyond doubt that accountants can be so much more than just numbers people and has been a huge support.Thank you all for five years of custom and for helping me achieve my dream of a fitting tribute to my mum.We will be having some closing down offers soon so watch this space!Love from Gaynor x x x
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I had been to Loopy Lorna's twice and found it very enjoyable, so I was keen to take my sister when we were both in Edinburgh. I had told her what a lovely place it was, so it was very disappointing that it was not a particularly good experience for her. We ordered the same soup and sandwich for lunch, and one portion arrived with our pot of tea. After waiting in vain for the second one to appear I made enquiries - seems someone didn't have his contact lenses in and had read one instead of two! When the second one arrived the soup was barely lukewarm and we had to ask for it to be microwaved back to eating temperature. The soup itself was actually fine, as were the sandwiches. Then we had a piece of baking which we thought was Rocky Road, but in fact it seemed more like a solid block of chocolate with very few additions and was very hard to eat. I'm hoping this was just one bad experience and it wouldn't put me off visiting again as I really like the concept of old china, teapots with little cosies, leaf tea with a strainer provided - all echoes of a more elegant time!

2  Thank Sheila M

Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Loopy Lorna's is in a fantastic venue and is very child-friendly. I have gone there several times with friends to enjoy their cakes, which always look mouthwateringly good.
Therefore, when our little boy turned one today, it was my first choice for a celebratory lunch. I had had the soup before, which was very tasty. Opting for nachos was a mistake though...pretty disappointing in comparison.
Not to worry, I thought...the strength of this place is in its baking. I ordered a big slice of mango and peach cake to share with my wee boy. When it arrived, it transpired that the base of the sponge was covered in pin-mould. I pointed this out to the waitress, who took it away and told her manager. The cake was removed from the counter and I was offered an alternative or my money back. I opted for the latter as my appetite had diminished somewhat!
I do appreciate that even in the best of places, things like this can happen, but what really put the final nail in the coffin for me returning was the fact that the manager did not approach us at all to offer an apology or to make amends directly. Instead, he left it to one of the waiting staff, despite being behind the counter and next to her when she was giving me my refund. Pretty shoddy customer service, I reckon, and it gave the impression of either being arrogant or cowardly.
We went to across town to another cake shop where the cakes were freshly baked and the service was excellent. We won't be spending any more money at Loopy Lorna's, unfortunately.

1  Thank pictae76
LoopyLorna, Manager at Loopy Lorna's Tea House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Hi there Pictae

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit. I am sorry that you were so disappointed with the Nachos. They are an extremely popular item on our menu and I can only apologise if you felt them to be a let down.

With regard to the cake incident - as you rightly say occasionally things do go wrong and in this instance I did ask the member of staff to deal with your refund. Its is often more pleasant for the customer to deal with the same person throughout their visit even if there is a complaint. I am sorry that you felt it was arrogant / cowardly of me not to deal with the issue myself and I would have happily spoken to you.

These things should of course not happen and do not add to the experience we hope to give our customers. I was taking the time to check and ensure that all of the rest of our cakes were ok and also disposing of the offending cake. I am sorry once again that you feel so let down by this visit.

Should you wish to discuss the matter further please email me ayrenhoney@loopylornas.com

Reviewed 15 October 2013

They are fine during the day but are hopeless when shows are on in the Theatre. They seem to be unable, or possibly unwilling, to cope with interval refreshments. They also fail to provide any after show service which in the past was always available under other management.
I fully agree with Julie Read, they need to reconsider their offer or get out.

2  Thank George R
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My cousin organised a wee cousin get together for our oldest ones birthday. We were all looking forward to it, 10 adults & 5 children.
1 We were booked for 2pm, they did ask soon after if we would like to order but we said we'd like a few more minutes to decide from the extensive menu. THEY DIDN'T RETURN FOR ABOUT 40 MINS!
2 The waiter said he was only taking drink orders at this point. I said but as mine comes with my Afternoon Tea, can't I order it together. Reply - well I'm not sure we will be able to do Afternoon Tea, I think we may not have enough cake stands!!
Seemed a bit strange as this place is supposed to be famous for that very meal!
3 Drinks took forever & so did his return to take the food order.
4 Once we had ordered, we had yet another long wait with 5 very hungry children, adults can take that but wee ones NO!
5 When orders arrived, childrens were wrong, wraps ordered by some adults had very little filling, the afternoon tea sandwiches were sparcily filled. Cakes were tiny we passed them to the hungry children.
6 The food didn't arrive until 3.40pm! Some of us had only allotted 2 hrs for this wee get together
7 I have never come away from an Afternoon Tea feeling hungry! We do this regularly in Dobbies, M&S & if pushing the boat out Mimis on The Shore in Leith. Most times we just get one between 2 as its too much. Not at Loopy Lorna's.

8 The bill was wrong, cuppas were charged for that came with the 2 Afternoon Teas ordered.

Oh & the staff said, "not anything I can, I will mention it to management, its their fault! "

The staff did give as 15% discount but that wasn't going near close to compensating for a disappointing meal.

2  Thank rettie
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My father pre ordered drinks for the interval of a show. The gin and tonic had no lemon in it and was very weak and watery. The wine was really not pleasant. There were only 2 staff serving when there were over 200 people in the audience. Since loopy Lorna's took over this venue the theatre experience has been very disappointing. Maybe they should let someone else do this function.

3  Thank holidayjulie19