“Nom Nom Nom”

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 10 May 2016

When we first arrived in Edinburgh, this seemed the perfect place to start off our journey in a gorgeous old fashioned tea rooms.
It was my Mum's dream, and mine a little too, it was such a cute place and you could really appreciate the thought that had gone into it.
I ordered a Tuna jacket potato which was just what I ordered closely followed by a slab of ginger cake- YUM!
My Mum's tiffin, Dad's banana cake and Sister's carrot cake also looked very appealing I must say.
Would definitely recommend just for the atmosphere, but the food was gorgeous too!

Date of visit: April 2016

Reviewed 6 May 2016 via mobile

Feels like being in a victorian tea room.. lovely atmosphere... various choice, very genuine. Just perfect!

Reviewed 6 May 2016

Had visited Holyrood Palace and this team room was perfectly situated between that and the shopping area. There are only about 6 tables so you may need to wait for a table. That said they offered sandwiches, soups, pastries, and of course tea. I would definitely look into this place for breakfast which they offer until 11. The staff was super helpful and sweet. She made sure we knew where to get antiques and brought us a map to get us to the right area. In addition, the tables, many of which were seated with locals. When I asked about a particular product I had brought earlier (Oat Flips) that they all offered their thoughts about what it would be called in Scotland (flap jacks) and where to purchase it. That only led to warm feeling in the dining room.

Reviewed 5 May 2016

We had not yet learned the secret of getting a bus to stop for us even if we were at a bus stop. A bus we thought we were going to catch just zoomed past us. As we stood bewildered and noted that we were going to have to wait 20+ minutes for the next bus a local young man, noting that we were obviously not local, told us that there was a nice tea room about a half block away where we could get a cup of coffee or tea while we waited for the next bus. Thus, we discovered Clarinda's Tea Room. That morning we popped in and had a cup of coffee with a fresh scone, butter and jam which were wonderful as was the atmosphere of quiet away from the noises of the street. Fortuitous that the bus missed us, else we would have never discovered this little oasis of grace and tranquility.

Today we returned for a late lunch. My wife had a quiche and I had a Brie and cranberry sandwich. Both were excellent.

Clarinda's is small but that adds to it's charm. One feels as if one has stepped back to a less cluttered and complicated time. The staff are very friendly and attentive.

One additional thing ... my wife spied a beautiful garden behind the tea room and asked if there was a way to reach it. The waitress replied certainly and directed us. We entered the garden and were surrounded by beautiful garden apartments. The street behind the apartments led us back to our lodgings by a much quieter and less commercial route than we had taken to reach Clarinda's on this second visit.

1  Thank Beachguy43
Reviewed 5 May 2016

We stopped in for an early afternoon tea on a cold, windy day. The location was perfect, just near Holyrood Castle and the Parliament. Perfect stop after four hours of sightseeing.
We were intending to have an early afternoon tea, but got tempted by the fresh soups. I enjoyed a delicious lentil soup, laden with carrots and a wonderful smokey ham flavor. My partner chose the mushroom soup which was equally good, very finely chopped mushrooms and delicate spicing. Each was served with a roll or oat cakes.

We then shared a rock bun, which was fruity and gingery.
Excellent lunch break, nice service, small space, can get crowded, but completely satisfying.

1  Thank Richarda384