“Best stay ever!”
Review of Pilrig House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Pilrig House
Ranked #131 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Stayed in Pilrig House for 5 days for a wedding in Edinburgh. The one bedroom garden apartment was perfect. The location is on Pilrig Park, so much nicer to step out into a park than a parking lot. The apt was lovely with high end amenities. Philip and Debbie were the best. I cannot say enough about the location and our hosts. PS listen to them and don't miss the Leith Seaside area.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed at Pilrig House for three months in 2011, from February-May - while I was working in Edinburgh. I loved it. I spent half the time in the Garden Apartment and half in the Balfour. It was enchanting. I especially loved sitting in the window boxes looking at beautiful Pilrig Park and seeing the seasons change. Pilrig House is convenient to the city and Leith. It is quiet, with nice neighbours. The decor is delightful. It was a fabulous base for me and I thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank BrisbaneDrL
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We loved our stay with Pilrig House. The apartment was lovely and had everything we could need. And it was so nice to be able to step outside to a garden and park (vs a busy street).

It was a short walk to town and the apartment came with parking. we were very happy with our choice.

Room Tip: we liked the apartment overlooking the park.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank loveadventuretravel
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Pilrig house is a lovely older manor house situated within a small enclave of houses and backing onto the lovely Pilrig Park. I stayed in the one bedroom Garden Flat which was extremely well laid out and quite spacious. The flat was absolutely spotless and believe me I am extremely fussy. You want for nothing whilst staying here. A decanter of whisky, a fruit bowl, biscuits , coffee, tea, chocolates and milk are left awaiting your arrival. There are plenty of towels, soaps and luxury bathroom products. A full complement of travel size notions are left for your use. In the cupboard you will find a picnic blanket, flask and lunch cooler. Perfect for a picnic at the park. The flat is about a 25 - 30 minute walk from downtown Edinburgh. Travel time will alter as you get to know the area and are able to start taking short cuts. Debbie is an absolute treasure and can't imagine anyone more suitable to act as your host and local fount of knowledge. The flat is amazingly well stocked with DVD's and travel guides and books. It's about a £5-7 taxi trip from town depending on traffic.

Can't recommend Pilrig House highly enough. I never generally bother with reviews figuring that what one person may enjoy another won't. However I can't see anything that anyone could fault about this establishment, except for one important thing, you won't want to leave. Thank you again Debbie for making a single female traveller feel so welcome, so respected and so secure

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank zhark
Reviewed 5 December 2010

Everything was incredible at The Pilrig House. When we arrived we were thrilled to see fresh milk and water in the fridge, a fruit basket, chocolates and whiskey just waiting for us to indulge! The Pilrig house was large, clean and beautifully decorated. There was not one thing missing...the owners had literally thought of everything a guest could need. The location is a bit farther from the center of Edinburgh and the castle but you can catch a bus very close to the house, walk (30 minutes) or take a cab. We did all of these and we had no problems getting around.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank pdxfamily3
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Believe all these reviews - Pilrig House simply can't be beaten. Everything about the apartment was perfect ... the location ideal ... and hosts Debbie and Philip have got to be two of the nicest people on the planet. We don't get to Edinburgh often enough, but are very much looking forward to the next time we do, especially to stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank thehawtins
Reviewed 17 May 2010

It was more than we needed, we were only 2 and this apartment could have slept 3 or 4. We didn't cook as much as we planned to so the kitchen part was nice and well stocked but a tad irrelevant. The hosts are simply the best I've seen. The only reason I gave it a 4 in service is because its not a typical hotel where a bellhop brings your bags and there is daily maid service, etc. Its not a flaw, this just isn't what this place is about. The apartment was fully stocked with all the comforts of home, its across from a wonderful park and quiet! You don't even hear the other guests at all. We never saw anyone but our hosts.
It is not near a convenient bus stop. the #11 bus goes down the block but its rare, we never did catch it and the other buses are quite a distance away. If you are using a taxi, its fine, we even rented a car and were able to keep it close outside so that was fine. It just that its not close enough to walk anywhere decent.. When you spend all your days walking the city, it really is too far to go anywhere. We had an issue with the car rental place that the hosts recommended and we also did not enjoy the restaurants close to the hotel.
I would stay again if I were back in Edinburgh though...it was just lovely and comfortable.
oh, yeah the bathroom is wierd, the fan was on ALL THE TIME the light was likely to give you seizures if you are prone to that and there was no shower curtain. I think thats a European thing though....and not specific to this hotel. Would STRONGLY recommend.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple