“Wonderful little B and B”
Review of Netherby House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Netherby House
Ranked #105 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We have stayed in many B and B's and this is a perfect place for the city and airport.
Our room was clean, breakfast was very good and free parking. Best for me was I slept well [most unusual in a strange place].
George helps with printing off boarding passes, buses to city and anything else his guests ask.
We would certainly stay again if in Edinburgh.
Thank you George for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed at Netherby House just one night, after a month in the north of Scotland. I was headed to the airport early the next morning. I was met quickly upon my arrival at the door, shown my room, and George ordered me a taxi for early the next morning. He also arranged for an early breakfast tray since I would be missing his served hot meal. The walk to dinner was less than two blocks. The heat and water worked well, carpets and linens were crisp and clean.... All in all, a welcome recharge before a long trip back to the states. Thanks George.

Room Tip: This property is right on the #31 bus line which makes it convenient to come and go to downtown. Als...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My family stayed here for two nights at the end of a fortnight's journey around the United Kingdom. Unfortunately, we found this B&B to be among the lower half of the B&B's we stayed in.

The family room was clean (not pristine, but clean), nice, and rather large with a double and single bed, closet, and en suite facilities. It was towards the back of the house, which kept the street noise down (very busy street), and you were close to driveway/carpark behind the house. We slept well both nights. The breakfast was good, served hot. Also, it's quite close to the airport, so we didn't have to leave super early to make a 1000 flight. A definite plus!

However, our host wasn't particularly friendly. It's not that he was unfriendly by any stretch, but after staying at some other B&B's, this one didn't match up. It was also weird that the room access (as well as the other two rooms) were outside and down the side of the house. I realize this was good for coming and going as we pleased, but unexpected. The internet, although free WIFI, was hit and miss in our room. More miss than hit, really. We didn't complain because we didn't particularly NEED internet. We got the best reception in the breakfast room, which was good for checking the news feed and daily weather in the morning.

We did walk to dinner both nights we stayed here, but it's a fairly long walk to any eating places. Also, there are buses that pick up quite close to the house to go into central Edinburgh.

All-in-all, the room was fine, the food was fine, and it was a good value. Overall, it was just an average stay, however. If on a budget and don't want to pay the exorbitant rates in Edinburgh, or you need to place close to the airport, stay here. If you're looking for luxury, or a romantic getaway, don't stay here.

Room Tip: Family room (en suite) had a double and single bed, and plenty of room!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
George T, Owner at Netherby House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Dear Cory,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments on Trip Advsior. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet all of your expectations however I am pleased to see that you had a large clean room in which you were able to have a quiet , good nights sleep, thanks for mentioning that our location being close to the airport is “A definite Plus”.
I am surprised however to hear that you thought that I wasn’t particularly friendly, this was certainly not intentional and I can only appologise if you thought that I was “unfriendly”.
As you say all of our rooms have their own separate entrance and you are correct in stating that it is good for guests who are “coming and going”.
As for the wi-fi, I do wish you had mentioned it at the time, with our neighbours there are a few different servers to choose from and you would only get a really strong signal if you were connected to ours, as I say if you had mentioned it when you were here I’m sure that we could have assisted you with getting a better connection, especially as there is a new signal booster just outside your room.
You say that you did walk to dinner on both the nights that you stayed, but I am surprised to hear that you thought that it was a “fairly long walk”, I suppose it really depends on what you class as a long walk, especially as there are 11 restaurants straight along the road within half a mile, (maximum 15 minute walk) the closest one “Fabios” being only 150 meters away!
However I am really pleased to see that you thought that we were “GOOD VALUE” compared with the “exorbitant rates” you would expect to pay in Edinburgh.
If ever you are visiting Edinburgh for a “romantic break” or if you find yourself just traveling to or from Edinburgh airport, please get in touch and we will make you more than welcome.
George

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We were here with big group that required three different rooms (single, double and family) and got all of them. Rooms were decent equipped with toilet and shower. Breakfast was also good. Location is near airport in Glasgow Rd, which means that there was very good public service to city centre. The price was a bit inflated but still you could do worse than choose this place for your stay.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I stayed at Netherby House at the beginning and end of my bicycling holiday in Scotland. George was very helpful and accomodating, both helping me find taxi services that could handle my BIG bike box from and to the airport and storing the box for me while I went on my tour.

The rooms were basic but clean and well-kept, breakfasts were good. All in all, a very nice stay.

The only word of caution I have to offer is that the room I had at the beginning of my ride, faced the fairly busy street (Glasgow road) and since it was during the heatwave of July, I wanted the window open. Now, traffic noise does not bother me much so I slept well anyways but if that is a concern of yours I would recommend that you double-check with George so you can book one of the other rooms.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stayed one night in Edinburgh, arriving several hours after the time planned. Nevertheless I received a kind and professional welcome. The room I was in was spacious, very clean and nicely set out. Two or three shelves of books downstairs made a welcome addition. The rooms had (although I didn t need them) extra stuff like a spare toothbrush,and disposable razor. This was very thoughtful. I also felt very safe and secure in this house - especially important for a person travelling alone. Breakfast was cooked well and a good range of everything set out on the sideboard. And just down the road, by the way, is an excellent indian restaurant.
So this is one I shall come back to if I can. Good value for money especially being so close to the airport.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed in Edinburgh one night and since we were leaving early in the morning we needed a place that was very close to the airport. This B&B definitely was and George was very helpful and welcoming. This place is literally a 5 minute drive from the airport. You can't beat that. It was a good price for the area and the purpose. George also provided us with a luggage scale as we needed to be very precise with our weights for the airline we were travelling with. That was very helpful. He was also informative about what restaurants were in the area as he thought we may be hungry. And he explained about the wifi code too.
I wouldn't say the room was the absolute best I have ever stayed in, but it was clean and comfortable and it served its purpose. The beds were quite comfortable, the only downside was that the bedframe and headboard would make noise whenever you would turn over. Also, since our flight was so early we were not able to experience the breakfast but I am certain that it would have been delicious. The tray that George brought to us was convenient for us to carry on our way.
If a place near the aiport and friendly service is what you are after, this is a great place to stay.