“Excellent value, perfect B&B for Edinburgh airport”
Review of Netherby House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Netherby House
Ranked #119 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Madrid, Spain
“Excellent value, perfect B&B for Edinburgh airport”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Perfect way to end such a great trip to Scotland! Stayed at Netherby for a few nights before flying back home, perfect location as it’s quite close to the airport and good bus service to city centre (15 minutes or so). Service was amazing for our whole stay with easy transport to the airport being a definite bonus and stress free way to end our holiday. Rooms were a good size, clean and great value for money compared to other places we had stayed at while over in the UK so we were very pleasantly surprised! Good choice of restaurants nearby, so we didn't have to spend all day in the city. Could definitely have stayed a few extra nights!

Room Tip: Fabio's Italian restaurant is just along the road and is really good for an evening meal.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We arrived a little later than we said, but that wasn't a problem at all. Both owners were very nice and friendly, showed and told us everything there was to know. After 10 days without WIFI it was great to be able to check our emails...
Our room was bigger than I expected and I literally slept like a stone.
The owner arranged a transfer by taxi to the airport for us on the next morning which cost about 10 pounds.
There was a great range of things for breakfast which I really liked!
Thanks a lot for the nice stay!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sorrento, Italy
Reviewed 4 September 2013

After a late arrival at Edinburgh airport the owner welcomed us with a cheery smile. The room was very clean and comfortable and had absolutely everything that you could possibly need. The breakfast was eccellent. We used a taxi to get back and forth from the airport but the bus that goes to the airport and the city centre stops on the road just outside of the B&B. The only drawback was the price which I thought a bit excessive even if it was august, the month of the Edinburgh Fringe and Festival.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
George T, Owner at Netherby House, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear scotangel
Thank you for your kind and positive review, however I am sorry to hear that you think our rates were possibly a bit excessive, we always set our rates so that they are competitive and similar to our neighbours and any other guest houses offering the same quality of service in the local area, and I’m sure that you will find that most of our guests would agree that we provide extremely good value for this type of accommodation in this area of Edinburgh at this time of year.
If ever you require accommodation in Edinburgh again, please contact us and you will always be made most welcome.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We have stayed in many B and B's and this is a perfect place for the city and airport.
Our room was clean, breakfast was very good and free parking. Best for me was I slept well [most unusual in a strange place].
George helps with printing off boarding passes, buses to city and anything else his guests ask.
We would certainly stay again if in Edinburgh.
Thank you George for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed at Netherby House just one night, after a month in the north of Scotland. I was headed to the airport early the next morning. I was met quickly upon my arrival at the door, shown my room, and George ordered me a taxi for early the next morning. He also arranged for an early breakfast tray since I would be missing his served hot meal. The walk to dinner was less than two blocks. The heat and water worked well, carpets and linens were crisp and clean.... All in all, a welcome recharge before a long trip back to the states. Thanks George.

Room Tip: This property is right on the #31 bus line which makes it convenient to come and go to downtown. Als...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Falcon, Colorado
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My family stayed here for two nights at the end of a fortnight's journey around the United Kingdom. Unfortunately, we found this B&B to be among the lower half of the B&B's we stayed in.

The family room was clean (not pristine, but clean), nice, and rather large with a double and single bed, closet, and en suite facilities. It was towards the back of the house, which kept the street noise down (very busy street), and you were close to driveway/carpark behind the house. We slept well both nights. The breakfast was good, served hot. Also, it's quite close to the airport, so we didn't have to leave super early to make a 1000 flight. A definite plus!

However, our host wasn't particularly friendly. It's not that he was unfriendly by any stretch, but after staying at some other B&B's, this one didn't match up. It was also weird that the room access (as well as the other two rooms) were outside and down the side of the house. I realize this was good for coming and going as we pleased, but unexpected. The internet, although free WIFI, was hit and miss in our room. More miss than hit, really. We didn't complain because we didn't particularly NEED internet. We got the best reception in the breakfast room, which was good for checking the news feed and daily weather in the morning.

We did walk to dinner both nights we stayed here, but it's a fairly long walk to any eating places. Also, there are buses that pick up quite close to the house to go into central Edinburgh.

All-in-all, the room was fine, the food was fine, and it was a good value. Overall, it was just an average stay, however. If on a budget and don't want to pay the exorbitant rates in Edinburgh, or you need to place close to the airport, stay here. If you're looking for luxury, or a romantic getaway, don't stay here.

Room Tip: Family room (en suite) had a double and single bed, and plenty of room!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
George T, Owner at Netherby House, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear Cory,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments on Trip Advsior. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet all of your expectations however I am pleased to see that you had a large clean room in which you were able to have a quiet , good nights sleep, thanks for mentioning that our location being close to the airport is “A definite Plus”.
I am surprised however to hear that you thought that I wasn’t particularly friendly, this was certainly not intentional and I can only appologise if you thought that I was “unfriendly”.
As you say all of our rooms have their own separate entrance and you are correct in stating that it is good for guests who are “coming and going”.
As for the wi-fi, I do wish you had mentioned it at the time, with our neighbours there are a few different servers to choose from and you would only get a really strong signal if you were connected to ours, as I say if you had mentioned it when you were here I’m sure that we could have assisted you with getting a better connection, especially as there is a new signal booster just outside your room.
You say that you did walk to dinner on both the nights that you stayed, but I am surprised to hear that you thought that it was a “fairly long walk”, I suppose it really depends on what you class as a long walk, especially as there are 11 restaurants straight along the road within half a mile, (maximum 15 minute walk) the closest one “Fabios” being only 150 meters away!
However I am really pleased to see that you thought that we were “GOOD VALUE” compared with the “exorbitant rates” you would expect to pay in Edinburgh.
If ever you are visiting Edinburgh for a “romantic break” or if you find yourself just traveling to or from Edinburgh airport, please get in touch and we will make you more than welcome.
George
Naantali, Finland
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We were here with big group that required three different rooms (single, double and family) and got all of them. Rooms were decent equipped with toilet and shower. Breakfast was also good. Location is near airport in Glasgow Rd, which means that there was very good public service to city centre. The price was a bit inflated but still you could do worse than choose this place for your stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family