“Allburys, and Derek, were great.”
Review of Allburys

and 1 more site!
Allburys
Ranked #66 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Allburys, and Derek, were great.”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Me and my partner stayed in the Allburys B&B for 3 nights in January. Upon arrival we were greeted by Derek, the owner, who showed us around the accommodation consisting of the bedroom, bathroom and communal dining room for the morning breakfasts.

The bedroom came equipped with what you'd expect; cable TV, hairdryer, table/chairs etc. plus a pair of matching robes. The room was elegantly decorated with some interesting and aspiring art on the walls, but the thing really worth mentioning is the bed itself. I can tell you now I've never been in a more soft and comfortable bed, I'm not joking. I haven't slept better in my own bed, and it was a struggle to leave it. I'm not sure if every room has the same bed, but if your lucky enough to be on the first floor then you will be sleeping on the bed of golden slumbers.

The bathroom is perfectly sized for a couple, not too big or small. The shower was a treat with each use, supplied with aloe vera shampoo and shower gel. In addition there is a marble and wood bench within the shower on one of the walls.

The breakfasts in the morning ranged from 8:00 - 10:00 am and the food was delightful. The breakfast menu was inserted under our doorway in the evening from which we had 3 main meals to choose from. They were primarily egg based, which I was pleased to see. The meals were exquisite and slightly alternating with each day. For example, omelette with mushrooms, scrambled eggs with cheese and spring onion, and the classic bacon and fired egg sandwich. There were other ingredients per meal but I can't recall the exact menu details, on top of this was choice of juice and an option for a fruit smoothie one morning! Which, again, I was pleased to see. Along with background music, coffee, toast and jam the breakfast was the perfect way to start the day, not to mention a worthy excuse to leave the bed of golden slumbers.

One small naggy thing would be the lack of a parking space directly outside the B&B but Derek directed us to where there is free parking which was around 15 - 20 minutes walk. Thanks to the location of the B&B, however, we were very close to the city centre and found ourselves walking to most places anyway.

So in conclusion yes I'd recommend this accommodation, even without the Groupon I'd consider it well worth the full asking price and would definitely re-visit to check in on our friendly Derek.

P.S. - the key for the door to our bedroom was 160 years old, it felt like yielding a historic Scottish treasure!

Room Tip: First floor had a sweet bed, couldn't tell ya if the others were better or worse.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
York, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Myself and my boyfriend enjoyed a 2 night stay, purchased via the Groupon deal. The house is stunning and you can tell every detail has been considered. Our room was gorgeously decorated and the facilities were amazing; the bed and shower were perfect. Breakfast was great on both mornings, the freshly squeezed orange and lovely coffee were a great start. Initially we were surprised there was an additional fee to have a full cooked breakfast or eggs benedict, however the ingredients were of the highest standard, so it is completely understandable. Would definitely recommend.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

This is the second time I've been lucky enough to live ( which is how at home you feel)in Derrick the proprietors house and its my favourite mini hotel ever. This first time was as a groupon visitor and I felt just as special as coming the second time - this time I chose to pay usual rates.Derrick is a natural host and the house is beautiful - very quiet and waking distance to the centre. The rooms are few but plush spacious and very private. Breakfast is diverse and its all butchers meats rather than platefuls of cheap supermarket fry up fodder. I've already booked for my festival visits as rooms go quick. A fantastic place which makes you feel very special.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Manchester
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned from a two night stay at Allburys. I can not speak highly enough of my experience there. From the moment we arrived I was amazed by the sheer beauty of the building and very impressed by its superb location, as promised, it is in Edinburgh Centre and yet on a quiet, idyllic street. We were shown to 'The Robin Suite' by the charming and welcoming Derrick and I could not have been happier. Our room was bright, clean and very comfortable. The sitting room was cosy and both rooms offered great views. The bathroom was of the highest spec and again impeccably clean.

Breakfast was exquisite on both mornings and Derrick had created a menu to suit all. I honestly can not think of a time or place I have had such a delicious start to to the day.

The decor is immaculate and eclectic throughout, from the sweeping staircase to the music played in the dining room, Allburys oozes effortless style. My only regret is that we did not book to have an evening meal but when I return I will be sure to do so.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Just stayed in this fantastic boutique B and B cant recommend enough, Derrick was very welcoming, the property was fantastic, the bed so comfy did not want to leave and the breakfast superb, a real treat for me as was a gift for Christmas! Love all the special touches in the room, left very relaxed. Thanks so much, planning on making this an annual trip from now!

Room Tip: Rooms very comfortable, decor beautiful, You will not be disappointed!
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Had a long weekend as a birthday/Christmas shopping treat. Allburys is fantastic, every aspect is quality, no skimping from the décor to the toiletries to the food! Derek obviously has an eye for detail and it's all beautiful. Its all very nice and clean as well as friendly, and coming from a clean freak foodie that came away so happy its a big compliment! Location was fab, quick walk down the road to the shops and all the city has to offer I would love to go back to Allburys!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed here for two nights as a surprise for my birthday. Great location as it's only a short walk to the city centre and is also on several bus routes. We stayed in the Robin suite which was lovely-the facilities were great, absolutely spotless and I think the bed is the comfiest I've slept in. Derek was a welcoming and attentive host and his breakfasts were faultless, I'd particularly recommend his omelettes! Overall, a wonderful stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple