“A delightful place and charming host”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Allburys

Allburys
Ranked #86 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
“A delightful place and charming host”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

we booked the allburys for a 2 days short break for 17th & 18th February and used the top suite. It was lovely. The suite may not always be necessary, but we stayed when there was football on the tv - so I used the other room and to watch tv after we had been out on an evening. the rooms were decorated beautifully. white with hints of blue and lavender, a theme which extended into the dining room. breakfast choices were great, porridge was lovely just the right amount. Derrick the host was a delightful chap, very informative and helpful with buses/trains. we went by train to edinburgh. Derrick in advance of booking also offered us dinner but we preferred to eat out and explore the city also reminded us that check would be best around 5pm ish as he is often busy between 2pm and 5pm. When checking out, Derrick also offered to keep our luggage for day, but as we need to depart from Waverley, rather than go back to the hotel in mid afternoon, we used the left luggage in the station. the hotel was in a good location, for bus stops and Haymarket station just a 5/10 minute walk away.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Me & my partner have not long returned from a two night stay at allburys. The Stone staircase that wound up to our room was magnificent, our room was beautifully decorated, the bed was like a cloud & the sit down shower was a real treat. We had egg's allburys for breakfast which was delicious & derrick was very friendly and helpful when advising us on places to go & directions etc. Breakfast was in a gorgeous dining room with a nice view & relaxed atmosphere. We will definitely be returning whenever we visit Edinburgh as we loved it so much & have told all my friends & family. Apart from the stunning building the location is fantastic just off the main street that is a straight 10 minute walk to the city centre lined with shop's & resteraunts & also a tescos with cash point a 2 second walk. From the main road there are taxi's waiting but also an express bus that takes you to & from the airport for £4 which is a massive saving on a taxi. I would highly recommend this place lovely house, lovely host it's just far too nice to leave.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Errol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Booked a 2 night midweek stay and found this to be one of the most comfortable and well appointed bed and breakfasts I have stayed in. Everything you would need was at hand and a well stocked minibar at extremely reasonable prices was an added bonus.Derek , the owner was very helpful and the breakfasts he produced were amazing, no buffet here, all food cooked to order and the best of quality. Amazing place and made out stay in Edinburgh fantastic.Recommend highly and will definitely stay there again.

Amble, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

My partner and I were looking forward to the stay here after reading the positive reviews. The house itself is beautiful but the host was very hostile to us. We arrived early to drop our bags in but there was no reply. The buzzer was broken so we tried ring the number on the door but no reply. Luckily the door opened as some other guests left the premises. They were very kind and held the door and went to get the owner. My partner returned to the step and tripped on a small plant pot. When the owner arrived I informed him of the incident and all he could say in a very hostile manner was we'll have to sort replacement costs. There was no hello, my name is... how has your journey been are you ok. He grabbed our luggage and whisked it up the stairs. I felt very uneasy from this moment on. He informed us check-in is from 2 then went on to say he would not be in between 2-5 do even if we had waited to check in properly he would not have been there but we would have not known this. On our return I realised that there were two cats. I like animals but I have asthma and I am allergic and if I had known there were cats I would not have booked. The room was lovely and had all the extras but we had had to pay extra and book the suite as this was all that was available. The room is separate to the suite room. The room has everything you and was no need for the suite. The extra living room seems to me to be a room that for whatever reason has not been made into another bedroom and therefore is called a suite to make money from. We used this once to make a hot drink as the kettle was in there did not need to use it anymore so an expensive cuppa at £25 extra a night. At breakfast the owner, who never actually introduced himself or if he did I was too taken aback by his hostility I never noticed, remained this way when serving breakfast. The breakfast was supposed to be included in our voucher from Groupon but when we saw the menu it stated a £6 supplement for full english. There was other things but when you have a deal for breakfast you expect that to be a full english/scottish at no extra charge. I felt so intimated by the owner I just didn't want to be there but as we had paid up front we couldn't afford to stay anywhere else at such short notice. The final straw for me was receiving a note outside the door when we returned from a lovely trip into Edinburgh stating a charge of £18 for the plant pot my partner hurt himself on. It seemed all he cared about was this plant pot that was not secured on the step. I just did not want to be there at all. When we came to leave there was no how was your stay the first words were how are we going to sort the cost of the plant pot. I refused to pay as I am not paying £18 for a plant part that was a hazard when all I have been made to feel was unwelcome. We had paid £50 for a room we never used so then to keep going on about his when all we wanted to do was have a break away from working hard was just the final straw. I am very disappointed as most of the reviews are brilliant and yes the final touches are good but the hostility of the owner let it down. I even thought it was just me then I read all the poor reviews and realised other people had also seen this side of the owner too. Very disappointed and was very upset my last night due to the way we were treated. I had a lovely stay at Christmas in The Ocean Inn for less money and got a full breakfast with a welcoming feel and manners.

Room Tip: I would double check the day before that the owner will be in when you arrive.
4 Thank Gemma831011
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I booked this stay as a romantic Valentines weekend break for myself and my boyfriend - we were not disappointed. The building is very grand and we were welcomed in by the delightful Derrick who carried our bags and gave us the tour. We were in the Robin Suite on the top floor which was beautifully decorated and a great size. I didn't realise until Derrick guided us through to another room that was our separate living room - equipped with another tv, sofa, fire, coffee machine and countless cds and dvds for our use. A lovely surprise. Every attention to detail was given and Derrick made sure we were acquainted with all the gadgets and extras in the room. Robes in the wardrobe, luxury toiletries and possibly the comfiest bed with absolutely sumptuous pillows! The mini bar was equipped with complementary water and milk, plus very reasonably priced larger (Peroni £2) and wine for £10 a bottle. Parking outside is permit holder only, but Derrick was able to direct us to free parking about half a mile down the road.

Very close to the city centre we walked in with ease - although the buses are very regular and efficient too. After a lovely meal out we returned to find our breakfast selection choices - not your regular breakfast that you might expect, but a much more specialist menu. Again at breakfast Derrick could not do more, bringing us teas, juices and other requests. If the baked egg with salmon is lucky enough to be on your menu (it changed on both mornings) then i'd highly recommend this as it was divine.

Overall this was a faultless stay with nothing more i could of asked for. The bonus being the two gorgeous house cats Lola and Mimi that made us feel even more at home! I would without a doubt revisit Allburys in the future and wish them continued success.

Many thanks.

Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

This boutique hotel is decorated to a very high standard and the facilities are excellent. We spent two nights break here and I would highly recommend it. Derek made us feel very welcome and the breakfast was excellent with lots of choice. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Rosneath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Lovely building - rooms beautiful - food wonderful - very central to the city - the only disadvantage was the stairs were very steep but managed with taking my time.Thank you so much for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple