“perfect in every aspect”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Sheep Heid Inn

The Sheep Heid Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Sheep Heid Inn
Ranked #176 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“perfect in every aspect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

Just had an amazing meal at this pub /restaurant , service was excellent, staff efficient and very friendly, we had a wee problem with my husbands potatoes , as he really cannot stomache garlic , . immediately they replaced with piping hot mash , he had fish rarebit, amazing he said . my fillet steak was cooked to perfection. The whole meal was stunning, thanks we will be back ,,,, soon.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Grenoble, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

We were looking forward to lunch at the Sheep Heid Inn, and phoned ahead to book at table. We were told over the phone that it wasn't necessary to book, we could just turn up. Twenty minutes later we arrived, only to be told there were no tables available as there had been an 'unexpected rush'. If you can't ensure a table is available then don't make promises.

I won't be going back!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

The food here was good and worth a visit after a hard walk up Arthur's Seat. Visited late afternoon on a Saturday and got a table (had booked online for a slightly later time). The staff were very friendly but service was very slow and one drinks order was lost at the bar - was given as complimentary when they realised - and they seemed a bit run off their feet.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

This place has two review pages and so I am adding this review here also so it doesn't get missed!
We went for a family meal for my father's 70th birthday at the weekend, we booked at 2pm so after the lunch hour rush. Where do I start, on the positive side the pub is lovely and decorated in the noughties craze of olive/grey woodwork and shabby chic style. They have a skittle alley which is a quirk and provides great entertainment for the kids. On the negatives, sadly there were a lot: there seemed to be a lot of staff but they are in need of some more training as a great number of them seemed to be standing round scratching their arses. The waitress brought drinks (which took an age to arrive) she gave us our drinks and refills but did not take any empties away (also our menus lay on the table all through our meal) we had to clear our own table and put glasses on the empty table next to us (they lay there for some time). The guy who was waiting on us told us that our food would be a while, he did look extremely harassed and I thought he might burst out crying at one point. After an hour or so our starters arrived. They were not too bad, it was the mains that were the real problem. A couple of our party ordered steaks with varied combinations of sauces, and degrees of cooking. The 'well done' steak was tough, like shoe leather. My husband's medium steak was more like rare and without the peppercorn sauce advertised on the menu, and my mother's porterhouse came with a little pot of nothing where the gravy sauce should have been. To me, the biggest offence was that all the dishes were luke warm. The biggest disgrace of the day however was the red mullet; it looked and tasted like it was made of rubber. My sister returned it and it was taken off our bill though she went hungry. We could hear neighbouring tables grumbling about the whole dining experience. In all, I felt that the staff appeared harassed and lacking in basic waiting skills, the kitchen clearly did not have the capacity to service the tables it had open, the menu offered too many dishes (always a warning sign), the chefs could not deliver food to a good standard, and the cost of the dishes did not add up to good value at lunchtime. All in all it was a bit of a mess and we were left with the impression that bums on seats and getting the cash out of the punter is more important than quality service, good food and customer satisfaction. I won't be eating there again and I would not recommend this to anyone as a place to eat.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Popstarparrot
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

Had Sunday lunch here with my wife, good menu, it's very busy on Sundays so book if you can. Service was very good, very helpful and attentive.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012 via mobile

I recently visited for s Saturday lunch after as lovely walk via Holryood Palace and across fields. I had read about this place and wanted to go for a while. It's a nice enough pub which has obviously been renovated/modernised. In part this was nice and well Donna however fads being 14th century it felt like it had lost some characters about. Pleasant enough though.
The service when we went wasn't bad but we had to remind someone we were waiting for e desert menu. Staff pleasant but not particularly friendly, not rude just no warmth.
We had bread as an appetiser and this was delicious, as we're the main course fish cakes that we had. My friend had the crumble for desert and said it was pleasant but could have been hotter.af. I went for the Pavlova and was very disappointed. Basically it was shop bought white meringue rings that we like chalk with some not particularly good cream and
A little bit of fresh fruit. A good pavlova is so much more than that!
Having said all that I would return but probably avoid the deserts and make sure I got there early whilst service was still good.

Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Lady Flavia
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

We went to have dinner here and sat downstairs (early tea time but with kids). Good menu with specials. Service quick, prices good - approx £8 - £9 main course from the menu we had (steak £13). Kids meals £4.95, nicely presented. Drinks pretty expensive, staff nice although place busy. We just had main course, servings a good size. The chicken was in a lovely lemon, chilli and honey sauce and was beautiful. We were wary after the poor reviews but were pleasantly surprised. It's excellent pub food at good prices. Definitely worth a look by if you are in the area.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family