“Disappointing”
Review of The Sheep Heid Inn

The Sheep Heid Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Sheep Heid Inn
Ranked #190 of 389 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
UK
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We went as a family of six for Sunday dinner, service was exceptionally slow despite the fact that we were after the main rush period. Three of us had the roast beef which was exceptionally tough with Luke warm mediocre vegetables. My wife had the pork which she said was nice but the same complaint re the veg. We decided not to do dessert as we had been there for nearly two hours, when I paid the bill, I was asked if everything was alright, I commented about the beef quality and the server said "oh yes, we have had a lot of complaints about that today" so why didn't they do something about that? It is a shame as the setting is lovely, but there are far better eateries in Edinburgh.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Malcolm024

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
scotland
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Over the years, many friends had mentioned the Sheep Heid and so on a very blustery day, we thought what a great idea to go to what we thought was a traditional pub serving great food in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere...unfortunately we were obviously a few years too late.
No real Ales for my beer loving hubby "We are more of a restaurant than a pub" he was told when he asked for the selection. All they had that day was Staropramen, Tennants and one other...surely they should be tapping in to the amazing real ale brewing of Scotland and selling that even if just bottles?
Service was really very slow - two girls seemed busy but the other two seemed to spend more time gossiping (there is a handy little cubby hole where they place their orders where they seemed to stay and blether with each other instead of actually seeing if they could help the customers). It took 2 hours for us to have our main and some ice cream.
Food is rather uninspiring - waitress forgot to give us the specials menu (which we found out about later) and we were told that there was no seafood left. Husband's duck was expensive and a small portion and the dauphinoise potatoes were rather gloopy and un dauphinoise-like! Daughter's fish and chips were very greasy, way too big for a kids portions and came with a thimble full of mushy peas. To be honest, the food just did not seem to be fresh (perhaps the specials were) but relied on pre-made. My burger was fine but no dressing on the salad which just seems rather unthoughtful.
The roaring fire they mention on their website is a rather small one and the heat doesn't reach further than about 2 foot so we were pretty cold all the way through the meal.
There are tables downstairs and upstairs - it looks a little more formal upstairs.

They have a traditional skittles alley there which looked fun - as we have never been there before, and didn't know it had to be booked and paid for, we asked if we could have our desserts through there so we could play - a simple enough question? One of the waitresses said that someone had it booked so it was only free for the next 40 mins. "Can we have a go then" I asked, "You will have to pay for a full hour - that's £20". Hmmm so I have just spent a whole load of money eating in your restaurant and I am asking for my daughter to have a shot and you can't find it in your heart to let her have a go for 10 mins? Officious, unempathetic and clearly didn't realise that she is supposed to actually be nice to customers.

In short - avoid, no heart, no soul and Edinburgh had far better pubs...try the Bow Bar for beer/Whisky and Scran & Scallie for food!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank fastidiousbynature

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Ludlow
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

What a great find, we were recommended to go there by our daughter who said their roast lunches were fantastic. It lived up to expectation, food great, fresh, hot and not over cooked. We will return soon, we are only staying in Edinburgh for 2 months, but it will become a frequent place to visit

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Jelenia Gora, Poland
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Well I read that in that area the oldest pub of Scotland has been. So after walking up to Arthurs Seat I wanted to have some lunch there. The interior is nice but some parts a bit too modern. They had daily special menu with a big selection of different food. I missed a bit the traditional dishes. At least to have one local main course, dessert, etc. I understand that they will not play only traditional music the whole day for the tourists but would be nice to hear it in that pub instead of listening to Michael Jackson.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Peter W
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I went two weeks in a row and sadly the things that disappointed me first time disappointed me second.

From the beginning: The menu is over complicated. Nothing jumped out as being really exciting. Trying too hard. The starters I had, crispy duck balls and mushroom on toast, were fine. Quite tasty. The sauce that accompanied the mushrooms also appeared to accompany the steak that I had for my main. It was overcooked (I'd asked for rare) and luke-warm. The sauce arrived on a companion's plate. And for nearly £20, it was expensive. The other main course I had was the pork belly and scallops in ginger beer reduction (with lots of over-complicated ingredients). Though it was tasty enough, it felt like the whole thing was drenched in golden syrup. Was far too sweet. And again, for nearly £20, was pricey. Pudding was salted caramel chocolate pot. The pastry on my pot was soggy and thick. But the filling was nice.

On the plus side, I love the atmosphere. They've done the pub up really well and really like the decor. So much better than millions of gastro-pubs. Well done! And some nice real ales on tap - the wine was good too.

We found some of the staff surly but the real disappointment was the food. I'm afraid I wont be going back in a hurry.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 68394944
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I live in Edinburgh and my daughter and I had Sunday lunch here today. A very busy and popular pub, but we wouldn't rush back for the food. It was OK. We had one course each (one roast lamb (£10.95) and one roast chicken + trimmings (£9.95), but they could have been hotter. We had a table downstairs as the upstairs dining room was full (it looks different upstairs now - I liked it how it was before). We had our latte coffees (which were lukewarm) served outside in the beer garden...and I quote from their web page...."kick back in our smart beer garden for a spot of alfresco eating and drinking." I'm afraid there's nothing smart about their beer garden and we felt it needed a really good clean and decent new tables and chairs - I wouldn't eat out there! No ashtrays or bins and when I asked for an ashtray they couldn't find any, but was told just to throw it down on the ground. I wouldn't even do this in my own garden! And I wasn't the only person who was having a cigarette.

If it is atmosphere you're after, as it is the "oldest surviving wateringhole" in Edinburgh and has a history, then pay a visit. But if it's beautiful-tasting, freshly-cooked food that's the priority, there are far better places in Edinburgh that are better - 'Timberyard' for instance, surrounded by its own history!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ailliee
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My girlfriend and I went to an open air theatre event and needed something to eat beforehand. We had about an hour, and we were served promptly and the food was lovely. The price was good and I couldn't recommend this place enough to other travellers. They were even kind enough to allow us to leave our car on their car park during the show,

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple