“Breakfast”

Cuisines: Delicatessen, Scottish, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Breakfast: start your day with our award winning breakfast including a range of healthy options such as our own homemade granola (both gluten and dairy free), porridge cooked to order with a selection of toppings, croissants and pastries. Or set yourself up with something more hearty including scrambled eggs with salmon, bacon or sausage, our delicious full breakfast and lots of other tasty treats. Accompany the excellent eating with artisan coffee roasted in Edinburgh, or teas blended here in Scotland by Edinburgh based Eteaket.Throughout the day: if you're after something sweet, our delicious cakes are made on site by our staff who all love to bake. Our gluten free dark chocolate and nut brownies are regularly hailed as the best in town - as are our delicious light scones served with clotted cream and homemade jam. Lunch: eat in or take away daily specials such as homemade soups, frittatas, quiches and organic pork & herb sausage rolls together with our menu of seasonal Scottish deli plates, salads, sandwiches made with artisan Scottish cheeses, Highland salamis, Arran smoked fish, and Lanarkshire cooked meats. Wash all this down with one of our local craft beers or a selection of fine local drinks and soak up the atmosphere!
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Had breakfast here just after opening thins were a little slow to get going but once the food arrived is was very welcoming and of good quality and the staff were very friendly.

My only complaint was that when you order a breakfast tea and toast are all extra.

Merc

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I found the Edinburgh Larder a bit of an anomaly, in that it was a top-quality independent place actually just off the Royal Mile. Food fantastic for the price, and lovely to see it made in front of you in some cases. Can't quite give it the fifth star as the coffee was slightly underwhelming. If you're that side of city, no better place to start a day of walking around than the Edinburgh Larder.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I went to the larder cafe after reading some good reviews, so I decided to take my sister for lunch. the place is lovely and super central, the display of food incredibly appealing and the staff super friendly and helpful.
the menu is very restricted, not much to choose from for lunch... one soup, some platters and mainly sandwiches. And loads of cakes! :)
We had lentil soup (too curry like for me, couldn't eat it, unfortunately) and 2 meat and cheese platters. Those where disappointing at the least! the plate was the size of a saucer with 3 slices of ham, 3 of salame, loads of beans and pulses (tasty, tho), 2 pieces of cheese and one spoonful of pate. Och... I'm hungry! Luckily they bring a couple of big slices of bread with it, and let me say that the bread is simply amazing! Homemade, crunchy bread. I really enjoyed that.
Sandwiches look very big and filling.
The drinks selection is good... some local beers and cordials, worth trying.
Cannot comment on the cake, at that point we had spent enough.
Nice but I don't think I'll give it another shot...

2  Thank ellie79
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Excellent breakfast!
Puur en lekker, verse ingredienten.
Pure and very tastful, fresh ingredients, good coffee.
Home made pastrys

1  Thank Janine K
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We'd heard great things about the Larder when looking for places to have breakfast whilst on holiday in Edinburgh this week. So as it was my birthday on Wednesday (28th) we decided to save our visit for that morning as a special treat. And it didn't disappoint. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming and friendly & the place was busy and buzzing with such a lovely, cozy atmosphere. I ordered the scrambled egg on toast with smoked salmon. The ingredients were lovely and fresh, the egg was cooked to perfection and was so creamy and light. The coffee was the icing on the cake and I can honestly say it was one of the best cups of coffee I've ever had (and I've had a lot!). So all in all, a perfect birthday breakfast. Thank you Edinburgh Larder!