“Great little place for cake”

Edinburgh Larder Cafe
Ranked #250 of 2,755 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$4 - US$13
Cuisines: Deli, Scottish, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Breakfast: start your day with our award winning breakfast including a range of healthy options such as our own homemade granola (both gluten and dairy free), porridge cooked to order with a selection of toppings, croissants and pastries. Or set yourself up with something more hearty including scrambled eggs with salmon, bacon or sausage, our delicious full breakfast and lots of other tasty treats. Accompany the excellent eating with artisan coffee roasted in Edinburgh, or teas blended here in Scotland by Edinburgh based Eteaket.Throughout the day: if you're after something sweet, our delicious cakes are made on site by our staff who all love to bake. Our gluten free dark chocolate and nut brownies are regularly hailed as the best in town - as are our delicious light scones served with clotted cream and homemade jam. Lunch: eat in or take away daily specials such as homemade soups, frittatas, quiches and organic pork & herb sausage rolls together with our menu of seasonal Scottish deli plates, salads, sandwiches made with artisan Scottish cheeses, Highland salamis, Arran smoked fish, and Lanarkshire cooked meats. Wash all this down with one of our local craft beers or a selection of fine local drinks and soak up the atmosphere!
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Popped in here for lunch with friends. It's a little small and hot but very friendly.

I had a delicious bacon quiche followed by the best Victoria sponge cake I've had in ages.

Ideal place for a light lunch or cake (the latter gets my vote) just off the Royal Mile.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,137)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Now, can I just preface this with this message - our waiter was very charming and may or may not have won my heart. This probably has swayed my opinion about this restaurant.

We came in just on the tail end of breakfast and were greeted by our very charming and visually pleasing waiter. We had bacon sandwiches and squash each - the squash was lovely and the bacon sandwiches were some of the best we had ever tasted. Helping the bacon be awesome were some really great (non generic) sauces on the table - you have to try the brown sauce it was delicious!

I hope to pop back in again to get one of the brownies, and maybe some squash to take home with me. Maybe to try and get the name of the waiter and encourage him to move to England and live happily ever after with me. But probably just to go get a brownie.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Enjoyed the coffee and Tucked into some delicious cake. Service was warm and friendly. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I went with my wife and adult son. The soups and sandwiches were excellent and a good value. Blackfriars Street is a convenient location for much of the Fringe activity and this restaurant is a welcome alternative to much of the other offerings.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We were staying in Edinburgh for the Fringe and we always like to eat out to sample the local food, and ELC looked a good local option for breakfast, and we were not disappointed by the options.
We arrived at 9am and by 9.30 they were queuing out the door for a table, however this did have a knock on effect as our food took 25 minutes to arrive, which for breakfast is slow.
We went for the French toast with rhubarb which was really good (dare I say too big though with 2 thick slices of bread), and a porridge with cinnamon and raisins, which was good. However if you like good strong coffee there's was excellent to achieve your caffeine fix for the morning.
Staff were really polite and apologised for the wait but would recommend for breakfast.
However anywhere which promotes using local produce it does come at a price of £9.50 for a full breakfast, but that also looked really good!

1  Thank jamescim