“Wonderful food and staff”
Review of The Spice Pavilion - CLOSED

The Spice Pavilion
Price range: US$10 - US$41
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: This new Indian restaurant in the centre of Edinburgh���s New Town has carved out a little niche for itself amongst the art galleries and antique shops along Dundas Street. Open for lunch and dinner, The Spice Pavilion attracts a well-heeled crowd of art lovers, and the interior ��� a modern space inspired by the rich colours of colonial India ��� is a stylish choice for both leisurely or business lunches and a romantic spot for evening meals. The kitchen���s philosophy is to take away the focus from heat and shift it to herbs and spices, giving the curries at The Spice Pavilion lovely fresh flavours which are complimented by an impressive range of wines from Australia and Italy.
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We love this little gem in the New Town. The staff are wonderful. The prawns are big and juicy and the use of flavours is intoxicating. Try it!

1  Thank Heather L

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We have now had several visits to this little gem of a restaurant and have always had excellent meals that offer good value for a city restaurant.
We particularly like Indian food and have visited lots of restaurants, with this being one of the best in our opinion.
The manageress is so kind, pleasant and welcoming and was very understanding when on one occasion we had to cancel a booking at short notice due to bad weather preventing us travelling. She was only concerned for our safety and made no reference to losing trade.
The waiters are also very pleasant and attentive and service is efficient.
The restaurant and toilets are also very clean and it really is a pleasure to return to this establishment whenever we can.

1  Thank EildonView3
Reviewed 15 September 2013

What a great find. Just round the corner from where I was staying, I found the place just by searching what was nearby, and ended up taking 5 people there on the strength of previous reviews. They are not wrong. Wonderful flavours and perfect spices, no puddles of oil in sight and everything really fresh and exciting. I shall be returning as soon as possible on my next visit to Edinburgh. Can't recommend it enough I fellow curry lovers.

1  Thank mellotron
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I visited Edinburgh in 2011 and was lucky to stumble upon this restaurant. I again visited Edinburgh in 2013 and my first stop after I checked into the hotel was the Spice Pavilion. I went this time with my wife and 2 daughters (6 and 10) for lunch and the food was even tastier than I remember.

FOOD
For starters, definitely go for the Poppadom. We also tried the Onion Bhajee and it was awesome. For the main course, I highly recommend the Chicken or Lamb Jalfrezie (very spicy). My wife went for the (slightly) less spicy North Indian Garlic Chicken which was just as tasty. The kids had the Chicken Pakora which they loved. But the best thing about this place (and yes I'm serious) was the dessert. You absolutely have to try the Mango or Pistachio Kulfi. This by far is the best ice cream I've ever tasted (kids agree too). Not sure how they make it but I believe it's prepared from scratch in the restaurant kitchen and it's an absolute delight.

SERVICE
The place is looked after by Christina who's a wonderful host and extremely friendly and attentive as she recognized us even though we were there for a meal more than 2 years ago. She even gave our kids a box of chocolates as a parting gift.

PRICE
For lunch, we paid ~40 pounds for 2 adults + 2 kids. A little on the pricey side but definitely worth it.

OTHER
We went there at lunch and there was lots of space. However, for dinner (especially on weekends) you have to make a reservation as the place is packed.

1  Thank mnayal
Reviewed 8 September 2013

One of the better Indian restaurants I've visited. Comfortable atmosphere and good service in Edinburgh's New town. The Biryani was excellent as were the many curries. I bit expensive - made you pay extra for your rice, which is a bit odd.