“Good food, drinks and atmosphere”
Review of Ghillie Dhu

Ghillie Dhu
Ranked #587 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$6 - US$32
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: Originally St Thomas Episcopal Church, Ghillie Dhu has been beautifully restored to showcase its traditional features. With an enviable location tucked in at the West End of the city centre, we are a short distance from Haymarket Train Station and directly opposite all major bus routes. Awarded Best Small Venue at the Scottish Event Awards two years running the team pride ourselves on the quality of catering and service we provide.Ghillie Dhu benefits from a dedicated and experienced Events Team who are poised to look after your event from enquiry right through to completion. Our Chef has created a variety of mouth-watering menus from the best produce that Scotland's larder can offer.Free wifi access is available every day of the week, ideal if you've got a working lunch or just feel like a nosey on Facebook.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good food, drinks and atmosphere”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have eaten here several times and always found the food to be good quality. They have an extensive drinks range, including some of my favourite rums! The last time I was there we were fortunate enough to hear some excellent live music which really added to the great night we had.

• Visited June 2014
Central E, Manager at Ghillie Dhu, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Thank you for the review scampbell82. I am delighted to hear that you enjoy dining with us. We have live music in our main bar every evening. If you enjoy that I would recommend coming on the last Thursday of every month (Thursday 25th Sept) where we host the Westend Jam where you will enjoy a night of jammin' with a varied selection of some of Edinburgh's finest musicians. We hope to welcome you again soon at the Ghillie Dhu.

• Czech first
  • Polish first
Mar Menor Golf Resort
“Night out in Edinburgh”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We had taken 4 Americans to Edinburgh and they enjoyed their meal here with the excellent service by Lauren this girl had a lovely personality and was so helpful and we all had a very good chicken and mushroom pie

Central E, Manager at Ghillie Dhu, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear gilli410
Thank you for posting a great review of Ghillie Dhu. I will be sure to pass on my thanks to Lauren for doing a great job.
Thanks
Inverkeithing, United Kingdom
“Nice surroundings”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Visited here for dinner during the festival we thought it would be busy but was quite quiet the last time I was here it was exceptionally busy so I booked.

We sat and the table needed to be clean and the ere was no menus there, not a good start. We ordered the steak pie and the pork belly both safe choices you would think.

Steak pie was nice but you should never serve peas in a mini sieve they go cold very fast, the pork with black pudding risotto was nice but pork a little tough. The side of Mac n cheese was very nice but served with salad not good without a dressing makes it tasteless.

Overall nice place and surroundings food not as good as it used to be

Dear edd c
Thank you for taking the time to post this review of Ghillie Dhu. I will review all of your comments with the kitchen team and address the points you have raised.
Blacklick, Ohio
“Perfect fish and chips”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We happened across this gem and went in in search of typical fish and chips. They did not disappoint. And, my daughter's hamburger was also excellent. Reservations are not necessary (we did not have one) but are nice, especially letter in the evening.
It is in an old church and the atmosphere was great and cozy.

Visited August 2014
Dear Cathy M
Thank you for posting this great review of Ghillie Dhu. Hopefully you will get a chance to come back to Edinburgh and visit us again soon!
Thanks
Perth, Australia
“Great food ruined by appalling service”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We called in for a quick meal at the end of a long day touring. We were shown a table quite promptly by a very polite server, It was at the back of the bar out of sight and out of mind, but when we were seated there were others there, so i figured that we would be served.

After reviewing the menus we waited and waited and waited for a server to return, but no one came, so i stood up and finally caught the eye of a server who we had not seen before heading to the kitchen. He returned and took the order.

Shortly after that we needed more drinks, as there were no servers in sight I switched on the 'empty' light at the table but after waiting quite noting happened, so i went around to the bar. No bar persons, so again wait, after quite a while someone turned up and delivered the drinks. The third round of drinks were actually served promptly.

The food was delivered and it was great, really good fish and chips and great seafood pie, both recommended, really good.

Then to pay the bill, again no one in sight, so again after waiting, waiting and waiting I went to the bar to seek out someone to provide us with a bill.

After quite a while the original person who seated us arrived and enquired about our evening, we advised that the meal was great ruined by zero service, much to his astonishment.

Next thing a young lady arrived to enquire about our problem, which I repeated, great meal but no service. She advised that she had been walking by all night and we were OK. When she came by then, was the first time I had seen her for the evening. My partner advised that she had walked by when once I went for drinks (as there was no table service) and again when I sought out someone to pay the bill, but neither time did she stop at the table to enquire if we needed anything. She was quite amazed at my comment that there was no service - BUT THERE WAS NO SERVICE.

GREAT FOOD NO SERVICE

Dear CocoTampa123
I am so sorry to hear about the level of customer service you have received at Ghillie Dhu. I can promise you this is not the levels we aim to achieve and will be reviewing your comments with the team to make sure there is not a repeat of this. Please could I ask you to contact me via Ghillie Dhu to discuss further. I hope you seefrom our other reviews that this is not typical of Ghillie Dhu.